SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Taxman
Taxman is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default New QC3, 2.4L, 5 sp, in the garage

Traded the 2005 I2 sedan and picked up the QC3 yesterday.
In addition to EPP got Leather and the Sun and Sound.
Black onyx on black leather - good quality leather in my opinion for this price point.

Have driven only 40 miles - some hiway.
Very solid - seems much more firm and buttoned down than the I2 sedan.

Deal was based on January promotion for "supplier price" plus there is a $500 ION rebate in March AND $750 GMAC rebate with a 5.9% loan.
Dealer actually held to the "what if" supplier price we worked up in January on a different optioned unit - then ordered exactly what I wanted.
What I got was actually a slightly higher priced unit - so the dealer was extremely fair and saved me about another $150.
After reduction from sticker and rebates, the price was less than the I2 sticker.
Took a hit on trade but couldn't find a buyer over 6 weeks of trying.
Dealer gave me "excellent" KBB .

Changed headlights over to silverstars already and will drive with them on tonight.
Based on eyeball analysis and call to parts dept. - K&N air filter from the 2.2L should fit the 2.4L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Taxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Taxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Lafarga
Lafarga is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: New QC3, 2.4L, 5 sp, in the garage

Congrats on the new car. I hope you enjoy it. Do you like the 2.4 more than the 2.2?

Don't do what you can't undo until you've considered what it is you can't do once you've done it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lafarga's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lafarga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lafarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Taxman

2008 AURA XR

The 2.4 has nice low end torque - you can tell the difference when lugging up a hill in 4th or 5th or starting in 2nd from a slow crawl.

Not a material difference in interior noise - a good thing.
Whatever they did with insulation or the supposedly quieter steel is working.

I'm demoing the XM for the three month trial - I have XM in my Audi. The upgraded stereo in the S&S package is very good - again, given this price point.

I also just checked the tire pressure after getting home and discovered they were over inflated 3- 4 lbs. Should feel more "connected" next time out after adjusting to 35 hot all around. I figure that is about 32 cold vs. the 30 recommended.

Don't plan on reinstalling my Eibachs - they're sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Taxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
briansnoopy
briansnoopy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 SC2
Cool Re: New QC3, 2.4L, 5 sp, in the garage

Welcome to the 2.4 crowd After you get used to it and properly broken in some, take it on an interstate merge ramp, and floor it. You'll of course recognize the available torque off the line - but wait - hold off on shifting at the weak spot at 3500. Let it rev up to 4500 and note how the horsepower and valve timing kick in and combine to launch the car. Wheeeeeeee! God bless the manual transmission... Yes, the 2.4 makes a lot of engine buzzing at high rpms, but 'Who cares, i can't hear anything over the advanced audio anyway!' Dont forget, it's 91+ octane if you want it to run like a champ.
Have a blast!

"Bluefly", the Pacific blue ION3 QC 2.4, black cloth, EPP, S&S, Spoiler, tinted, with iPod blaring

2015 Honda Civic Si
2006 Ion3 2.4 Coupe 5-sp "Orion"
2001 SC2 "Sharky"
1997 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to briansnoopy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help briansnoopy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
briansnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Mattytee
Mattytee is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Sounds like fun. I had trouble selling my 04 I2 as well...such a shame because it was in beautiful shape. Ended up trading it too.

I also got the S&S in my 06 Vue and am trying it out as well...sorry to say I may be hooked! I might buy a year or two in advance, seems like the best way to do it.

Enjoy your new toy I know I am enjoying mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mattytee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mattytee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mattytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #6
Dan Pressly
Dan Pressly is on a distinguished road

The 2.2 K&N filter does not fit in the 2.4. The 2.4 has a sensor that can be damaged by the oil lubricant in the K&N filter. It looks like you should stay away from the K&N filter in the 2.4. Check this out for yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan Pressly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan Pressly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dan Pressly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I haven't tried one yet, but I can imagine the 2.4 with a 5 speed is a lot of fun. The 2.4 has a suprising amount of power compared to the 2.2.

If I could afford a new car right now, I'd get a 2.4 QC3 5-speed in storm grey over black leather.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
PlumSL1
PlumSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Congrats! I'm still waiting for my 2.4 quad3. It should be here in mid april.

NicK
--------------
08 Mazda3
00 Tiburon SE - Sold
96 SL2 - Sold
97 SC2 - Sold
94 SL1 - Driven till death R.I.P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlumSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlumSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlumSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
sclindon
sclindon is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I had a 2.2 04 Ion 2 5 speed and moved up to the 2.4 06 Ion 5 speed and I love it. My mileage is just a little worse, not much and I definitely can tell a huge difference when getting on the freeway. The suspension is definitely tighter and I like the new radio and steering wheel. Overall, I love the car and it was worth paying a little extra for. I fell in love with the XM and will keep it past the 3 month date, which is coming up soon. I love driving it, but hate that I have to drive so much for work because I want to keep the miles low. Oh well, 5,400 miles and heading upwards.

Love the car!

Former Saturns:
2006 Ion 3 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Ion 2, 5 speed; 2004 Vue, 5 speed
2002 SL1, 5 speed; 1993 SC1, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sclindon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sclindon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sclindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
Taxman

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pressly
The 2.2 K&N filter does not fit in the 2.4. The 2.4 has a sensor that can be damaged by the oil lubricant in the K&N filter. It looks like you should stay away from the K&N filter in the 2.4. Check this out for yourself.
My eyes deceived me. Last weekend I tried swaping the OEM filter in the 2.4L with the K&N from my 2.2L trade in and, for sure, it does not fit. Thanks for the heads up on the sensor.

I also have XM /Bose in my Audi. The XM and sound in the QC3 is really very good. The S&S package has an amp, I believe, which helps and the speakers are pretty good. I'll probably sign up for a long term with XM .

Does anyone know the trick to the station presets? I haven't read the manual closely yet and so far I have to mix AM, FM and XM presets on one bar so only have 6 stations to select. Is there a way to have a separate AM, FM and XM preset bar?
If the answer is "read the manual, stupid" just let me know.

I sure would like to inexpensively open up the engine and let it breathe. I bet there would be a nice HP and torque increase. I understand that strut bars fit equally well in the engine bay of a 2.4L and a 2.2L. I may do that.

PlumSL1, you will enjoy the QC3. But mid April? Mine only took 10 days from build to arrival at the dealer in CT - from 2/21 to 3/2. It took about three weeks before 2/21 for them to figure out just how/if they could order one. But, overall the process was painless and the sales person real good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Mattytee
Mattytee is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Does anyone know the trick to the station presets? I haven't read the manual closely yet and so far I have to mix AM, FM and XM presets on one bar so only have 6 stations to select. Is there a way to have a separate AM, FM and XM preset bar?

RTFM....

Haha...seriously, just kidding.

If you select the menu button when you have the radio on you will see an option in the middle that says something like Xm Fav 1-6. If you select that you can then choose how many pages of favorites you want. Sounds like you only have one active, but you can have up to 6. You can then make 1 or 2 pages each of FM, AM and XM.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mattytee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mattytee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mattytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
daddymoc
daddymoc is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
My eyes deceived me. Last weekend I tried swaping the OEM filter in the 2.4L with the K&N from my 2.2L trade in and, for sure, it does not fit. Thanks for the heads up on the sensor.

I also have XM /Bose in my Audi. The XM and sound in the QC3 is really very good. The S&S package has an amp, I believe, which helps and the speakers are pretty good. I'll probably sign up for a long term with XM .

I sure would like to inexpensively open up the engine and let it breathe. I bet there would be a nice HP and torque increase. I understand that strut bars fit equally well in the engine bay of a 2.4L and a 2.2L. I may do that.

PlumSL1, you will enjoy the QC3. But mid April? Mine only took 10 days from build to arrival at the dealer in CT - from 2/21 to 3/2. It took about three weeks before 2/21 for them to figure out just how/if they could order one. But, overall the process was painless and the sales person real good.
THERE IS A BUTTON ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE RADIO THAT IS LABELED FAV. THIS LETS YOU PRESET UP TO 6 PAGES OF FAVORITE RADIO STATIONS SO YOU JUST PROGRAM WHAT YOU WANT AND IT RECALLS IT. YOU CAN MIX FM WITH SATELLITE OR AM OF JUST KEEP THEM SEPARATED, WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO DO. IF YOU GET A BORLA CATBACK EXHAUST THE GAIN IS ABOUT 8HP, SAW THE ADD ON IN A PROJECT CHEVY COBALT AND IT WAS DYNO TESTED AFTER THE ADD ON, THEN THEY ADDED A FUJI SOMETHING INTAKE (CAN'T REMEMBER THE COMPLETE NAME) AND IT WAS AN ADDITIONAL 7HP ONCE AGAIN DYNO TESTED. I'M DYING TO PUT THIS STUFF ON MY 2.4 BUT I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT MY WARRANTY DETAILS SINCE I GOT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY(DRIVE A LOT FOR WORK-GOT THE CAR MID JANUARY AND ALREADY HAVE 4800 MILES)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daddymoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daddymoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daddymoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote