SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
wheatabix
wheatabix is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default HELP, no garage

I have just moved to ST Louis into an apartment with no garage. usually willing to do stuff myself, the bad driveway, worse street scenario has pushed me to need a mechanic. three possibly major situations
1) I am pretty sure my car needs a new clutch (it is a manual 97 SL2)
2) I still have a highly mysterious coolant leak, that still may or may not be coming from the ECTS that i installed (sadly without thread tape) or the head gasket (the grease monkey at Midas in Illinois said "its ok its leaking out not in, just keep an eye on it"
3) the first ten minutes the car runs I often get a very strong gas smell, like it is running insanely rich or leaking fuel, I also have a fair decrease in my fuel economy
I do not think my car likes STL
any advice on what these things might be or where I can take the car to get it serviced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wheatabix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wheatabix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wheatabix is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: HELP, no garage

Hi there,

Not sure about your problems, but I feel your pain about the garage. I just had my car trailered to NJ to a garage I have the use of to finish my transaxle replacement project since the city won't let me continue it on the street.

Can you actually see where the coolant is coming from? I had a coolant leak that I traced to a poorly-sealed upper radiator hose of all things, but some diligence can track down the source. As to the gas smell, there are probably people on this forum who are much more qualified than I am to answer that question (or at least ask the right questions).

Good luck!

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 191,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

You don't want thread tape on the ECTS. The FSM calls for the threads to be sealed with Locktite. (they use a GM P/N but its just locktite). Just a bit will help seal it, prevent corrosion from seizing the connection and keep it in snug.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

Regarding coolant leak: If it's on the right side toward the firewall, might you have the dreaded cracked plastic intake manifold seam? Not trying to scare you, their could be a dozen other potential leak points; I'm just keying in on what the previous Mech said and wondering how common it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

By Right I meant right facing engine - Driver side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keblar View Post
Regarding coolant leak: If it's on the right side toward the firewall, might you have the dreaded cracked plastic intake manifold seam? Not trying to scare you, their could be a dozen other potential leak points; I'm just keying in on what the previous Mech said and wondering how common it is.
If he's posting about the '97 SL2 in the profile, its in the year range ('91-'99 DOHC) that doesn't have the idiotic plastic intake manifold so he can't have that particular leak. Pretty much, by design, it will happen at some point to every '00-'02 DOHC (SOHC's kept the aluminum intake manifold).

My SW2 had a mysterious coolant leak as well, tried a new coolant cap, nothing on the radiator showed a leak and I couldn't find a leak anywhere else. Got the 5spd & cradle swapped into it, held new coolant fine until I started it...THEN the stupid water pump leaked. Continued leaking as long as the engine was running, then would dribble to a stop once I turned the motor off. Evil bugger that was to find

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
wheatabix
wheatabix is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Thanks all,
no I cannot see where the leak is coming from, there are some wet/clean running looking spots coming down from somewhere near the headgasket, I dont know if that was it, it just looked like a drop had run down and washed away the road grime there. however the leak lessened a lot when i tightened the ECTS, so maybe I just need a little locktite, or it could be another mysterious leak that will eventually make itself painfully known, just like the rest of them (heater core and water pump gasket and radiator).

my biggest concern right now is the clutch, it is getting very picky, and i dont like driving through st louis with all it ridiculous stop signs either having to jam it into first or start in second. weird thing is, sometimes it is great, shifts smooth and not trouble getting into first, other times, nearly impossible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wheatabix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wheatabix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wheatabix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatabix View Post
my biggest concern right now is the clutch, it is getting very picky, and i dont like driving through st louis with all it ridiculous stop signs either having to jam it into first or start in second. weird thing is, sometimes it is great, shifts smooth and not trouble getting into first, other times, nearly impossible.
Sounds like it could be an issue with the clutch hydraulics, or either end of the shifter cable, rather than the clutch itself. run through these tests posted by barnowl a while back
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94634

Note that if you are moving more than a couple miles an hour, it's really hard to get the car into first gear. I think that's a "feature"

You are only having trouble with first and second gear?

On your rich fuel/low mpg question, did you inspect or replace the ECTS connector when you did the ECTS? I tried cleaning out the connector when I did mine but it was completely dead.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote