SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Slick58
Slick58 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default 08 Vue XR P302 Guidance

I have an 08 XR that has a been misfiring on the second cylinder for sometime. I hooked and OBDII up to the car using the Torque app and noticed the current misfire is happening in cylinder 1 while the history misfire is incrementally adding to cylinder 2. Cylinder 1 misfires in groups of 16'ish until it reaches 196 (or around that) then the number is added to the history of cylinder 2 misfire.

About a week ago the MIL started to flash. I brought the car from California to Nevada and added some gas. For whatever reason I added 91 which I have never done before and the MIL started to flash which it has never done before. I got a pending code of P0946 that night only which has since gone away. I think that California has a different fuel mixture than Nevada and that could have cause another issue?

I've taken a look at the coil and plug for cylinder 2 and that seems to be ok. Actually replaced the plug and coil which was a little premature. One thing I have noticed is the traction control light will appear when the MIL starts to flash. Not sure if the misfire is causing this or if this is causing the misfire or if the traction control light appearing is totally unrelated. The traction control and Electronic Stability Program lights have appeared in the past but now they appear at the exact moment the MIL starts to flash.

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Things I could or should troubleshoot first? For now I have the car parked until I can figure out some next steps that I can do on my own to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Slick58's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Slick58 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Slick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 08 Vue XR P302 Guidance

Do a compression test and a leak downtest. you'll likely find cylinder 2 has low compression and high leak down. Exhaust valve leaking. cylinders 4 and 6 may also have high leak down. Cylinders 1,3 & 5 will likely be ok. Replace the left cylinder head. (don't machine old style head) You will need to replace the camshaft actuators to the newer style. If it is a SIDI engine you'll need to replace high pressure fuel pipes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #3
Slick58
Slick58 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
Do a compression test and a leak downtest. you'll likely find cylinder 2 has low compression and high leak down. Exhaust valve leaking. cylinders 4 and 6 may also have high leak down. Cylinders 1,3 & 5 will likely be ok. Replace the left cylinder head. (don't machine old style head) You will need to replace the camshaft actuators to the newer style. If it is a SIDI engine you'll need to replace high pressure fuel pipes.
Thanks for reply Bern! I will follow up after I perform the compression and leakdown tests. Have access to the compression test tool. Need to hunt down a leak down tester. Probably will hit up Harbor Freight. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Slick58's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Slick58 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Slick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

When preforming leakdown use 50 psi or less air pressure on first gauge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Bern,
Have to ask, how did you extrapolate that a misfire was related to poor compression?

OP...be sure to keep us posted. What is the vehicle mileage and what engine do you have?

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
bern
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Repairing the same problem on the same or similar engine on Saturn, Chevrolet, GMC and Buick vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Old 08-20-2016, 05:27 AM   #7
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
Repairing the same problem on the same or similar engine on Saturn, Chevrolet, GMC and Buick vehicles.
Quite a revelation. First I have heard of 'any' compression loss issues associated with the 3.6L 6 cyl. Best I can surmise, it hasn't even been established what engine the OP has in his '08 Vue....3.5 or 3.6L V6. We don't even know number of cylinders...could be a 4 cyl.

What is causing the compression loss and failure of leak down in your opinion?
Is the problem exclusive to the 3.6L engine only? Is it related to timing chain wear issues or known oil in intake track issue?
thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

P0496 is Evap system, more than likely a vacuum leak, possibly the vent solenoid valve. Seems unlikely that an ignition misfire is causing the problem as that would / should set its own code. Usually the P0496 does not result in poor performance unless the vacuum leak is so bad that the engine cant overcome the leak by adding excess fuel. If it is running very rich you can damage the catalytic converter. Which engine do you have?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigdude2468's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigdude2468 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

BTW, I had an ignition / misfire problem that would intermittently set the traction control and Stabil a Track lights on an 2008, AWD 3.5 L Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigdude2468's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigdude2468 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote