SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
blitzkrieg1110
blitzkrieg1110 is on a distinguished road

Default '94 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC Error Code Question

Hi Guys, for the past few weeks, for a minute or 2 every once in awhile, my service engine soon light would come on and stay on for like a mile and a half then shut off. I read on here that you could go to autozone and find out your engine error codes for free which I did. They told me the two codes that were showing up were 1. "32 Map Sensor Low" and 2. "53 Soft Flag Electronic Spark Control". I know nothing about these codes or what they mean and they didn't give me any idea there what they mean either. Are you guys able to tell me what you think may be wrong and how much you think it would cost to get it fixed?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

,Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blitzkrieg1110's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blitzkrieg1110 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blitzkrieg1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: '94 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC Error Code Question

Welcome to Saturnfans!

Look in the How-to Tips on page 6 titled OBD I Codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
blitzkrieg1110

I found both of the codes because of your help, thank you very much.

I'm still not sure what either of the codes really means (I'm kind of defficient when it comes to engines and technical things ). Are you guys able to help to explain what these two descriptions mean in a language even I can understand?

Sensor 32 Description:

"EGR System Fault
The exhaust gas recalculation (EGR) solenoid is connected to voltage through the ignition switch and to a ground through a QDM output. The QDM output is pulled low in order to turn ON the solenoid and to turn OFF the EGR valve. The EGR solenoid defaults to the open position to prevent the cylinder from
becoming too hot in the event of an EGR system failure. The PCM checks the EGR system by grounding circuit 435 (no EGR) and monitoring the change in the short term fuel trim (integrator) or oxygen system."

and Code 53 Description:

"Hold Mode Stuck Off
On 1991 and 1992 vehicles the amount of electrical current required to energize an actuator is greater than the amount of current required to hold an actuator in the closed position. Hold mode is a feature built into the PCM that reduces current draw of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th actuators when the clutches are being held off."

The funny thing is, my car is a '94 SL2 and that says 1991 and 1992....

I'm so confused as to what all this means...can anyone help?

P.S. I'm sorry I'm such a noobie at all of this

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blitzkrieg1110 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

I agree with ^^^^^^^, with the recommendation that you look in the how to library and read the sticky about cleaning your EGR. Simple enough and that should eliminate the EGR code.
Once you correct the issues setting off the SES light the light will go out.
Then I would go back to autozone and have them erase the codes with the scanner, or if you buy one, you can erase them yourself.
You can also find in the how to library how to read the codes with a paperclip on your OBI system.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

You sure you got code 53? If the code(which is actually a transaxle code btw) was only for 91 and 92 and yours is a 94 that seems kind of confusing. Unless a previous owner made an engine or tranny swap.......or you really have a 91 or 92......

At any rate the code 32 could be cured by cleaning the EGR and the ports where it mounts.....wouldn't hurt to get you a new gasket, sometimes people will reuse them but for 3bucks why chance it leaking later. You can find a little more detail here.

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...es/dtc/32.html

If in fact the code you do have is 53 the information found here sounds rather grim in that the cause of the code is a internal failure in your PCM.

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...es/ttc/53.html

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
blitzkrieg1110

Anyone??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

I suggest you do a search for "exhaust gas recalculation (EGR) solenoid" on this site.

I had a similar problem with my check engine light. turned out the solenoid was bad (open, no electrical resistance when tested with a multimeter) It had another code set (something having to do with the quad driver) but replacing the solenoid with one from a salvage yard cured both codes. If you don't already have, I suggest you get a saturn repair manual and a multimeter. A new manual should be under $20, cheaper if used. Factory service manuals (much more detail) are much more expensive. The multimeter I use was $2.99 at harbor freight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
blitzkrieg1110

Thanks guys for the help. And sorry for the "Anyone?" above, for some reason it wasn't showing me that anyone had responded. I'll have to check out the EGR repair guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!