SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2
Default Saturn vue vs. S-series (tech aspect)

I am looking for a vehicle that can fit 3 carseats. I like my SW2 so much (reliability and ease of repair) that I would like to know more about the vue. The thing is I want to know about the vue from someone who is familiar with the s-series.

My 95-SW2 had been highly reliable and doesn't seem to have any major common defects (like tranny failures like the Windstar I have now). The DOHC's are pretty solid, don't like to crack their heads, etc.

Basically, I want to know from an S-Series do it yourselfer if the Vue is something that seems to be well engineered and reasonable reliable and easy to work on? Do they live to see high mileages?

Thanks

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Saturn vue vs. S-series (tech aspect)

Coming from myself who has owned my 94SC1 for 10+ years (purchased in 1997)...328,XXX miles on an original engine/auto trans...

My wife's set of wheels is a 2005 VUE 5 Speed.

We got the VUE on a lease in 05 and will be buying it outright when the lease is up at the end of July. We have 60,000 miles on the VUE currently (I know...on a LEASE vehicle...I'm going to be working hard to get the payments down; that's for sure).

We have a single car seat in the backseat in the middle. It does take alot of space in the middle. So I'm not sure how you would fit 3 carseats in the back.

We haven't had to do any kind of major repair work on the VUE, aside from a shifter bushing pin that went out a few months ago, but that only cost $134 with labor to repair.

So far, it seems to be a pretty good vehicle; but I don't have any repair manuals for it as of yet. I've started looking for 2005 Factory Service Manuals but haven't found any as of yet.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Coming from myself who has owned my 94SC1 for 10+ years (purchased in 1997)...328,XXX miles on an original engine/auto trans...

My wife's set of wheels is a 2005 VUE 5 Speed.

We got the VUE on a lease in 05 and will be buying it outright when the lease is up at the end of July. We have 60,000 miles on the VUE currently (I know...on a LEASE vehicle...I'm going to be working hard to get the payments down; that's for sure).

We have a single car seat in the backseat in the middle. It does take alot of space in the middle. So I'm not sure how you would fit 3 carseats in the back.

We haven't had to do any kind of major repair work on the VUE, aside from a shifter bushing pin that went out a few months ago, but that only cost $134 with labor to repair.

So far, it seems to be a pretty good vehicle; but I don't have any repair manuals for it as of yet. I've started looking for 2005 Factory Service Manuals but haven't found any as of yet.
likewise.

I bought our '04 5 speed VUE for its simplicity. 47K miles, no major issues. we used to run a baby seat and a booster seat; I would assume we could have fit a 3rd seat, but it really depends on the baby seat; those things seemed to have gotten wider. I think you will appreciate that there is more room than an SW2, and much easier to get in and out of.
as for reliability, they don't have S series oil burning issues. but, '02 and '03 4 cyl ones "MAY" have, or may soon have, timing chain issues. actually, I would stay away from all '02 and '03 VUEs (the V6 is the 3.0 which is an older design w/ higher maintenance costs, and the automatic w/ the 4cyl is the VTi trans, which is a lemon).
all that being said, get an '04 or later 5 speed (if you want a manual) or any '04 later V6 (reliable honda engine, for the most part)

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

I have both.
The 04 and up V6 Vues are pretty good.
Go with what twosats said about Vues to avoid.
And be sure to try loading all 3 car of your car seats in before buying one.
The Vue rear seat is not all that wide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2

Thanks, this is the exact info I was looking for (which ones to avoid, etc.). A 3.0 will probably get ok mileage although I was hoping for a 4cyln. because we aren't interested in power and would rather have better mileage. However if the V6 is of better design (I like to keep my vehicles a long time) then that may be the better choice. My wife would appreciate an automatic transmission although she does pretty good in my 5-speed jeep.

I researched the carseat thing and found many people using 3 carseats in the back so even if my existing ones won't fit I can get new ones that will.

What about ease of repair? I really like working on my SW2 and would be excited if the vue was fairly simplistic too.

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

I own both SL2 and 2004 VUE.
Go for it.
I can't offer any opinion on how the VUE is to service. I haven't owned it long enough. (Bought it used a month ago). As for the 3 carseats in the rear seat, you should be able to purchase new ones which will fit.
Good Luck!

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
What about ease of repair? I really like working on my SW2 and would be excited if the vue was fairly simplistic too.
oil changes on the ecotec (4cyl) are CAKE. everything else looks to be quite easy as well, just real simple all around.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
Thanks, this is the exact info I was looking for (which ones to avoid, etc.). A 3.0 will probably get ok mileage although I was hoping for a 4cyln. because we aren't interested in power and would rather have better mileage. However if the V6 is of better design (I like to keep my vehicles a long time) then that may be the better choice. My wife would appreciate an automatic transmission although she does pretty good in my 5-speed jeep.

I researched the carseat thing and found many people using 3 carseats in the back so even if my existing ones won't fit I can get new ones that will.

I would still recommend looking for an '04+ VUE V6 with the 3.5L motor. I've been in both, and I must say I'd MUCH rather have the 3.5. It's smoother, is more efficient, and has more power. There are also some other small bugs that seem to have been improved over the '02-'03 models.

Personally, I like the looks of the '04-'05 better than '06+, but that's up to you of course.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
alshoe
alshoe is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

[QUOTE=twosaturns;1198433]likewise.

stay away from all '02 and '03 VUEs (the V6 is the 3.0 which is an older design w/ higher maintenance costs, and the automatic w/ the 4cyl is the VTi trans, which is a lemon).

twosaturns, I agree that the 4 cylinder VTi auto trans is one to avoid. However, I own a 2003 VUE 3.0 V6 5 speed auto trans. Bought it new in 2003and have 47,000 miles on it. Not sure why you say it is a "older design w/higher maintenance cost" ? The design is a 24 valve OHC engine. It is the V-6 that was used in the SAAB 9-3. Have not had any problems whatsoever with the 3.0 engine or transmission. As for oil change maintenance, the Saturn dealer will charge more for an oil change on the 3.5 Honda V6 as it takes 5 quarts of oil as oppose to 4 quarts on the 3.0. The 3.5 Honda is more powerful, rated at 250 HP compared to 181 HP on the 3.0. If you are going to pull a trailer or heavy loads, this is somthing to consider. I can tell you the 3.0has adequete power and has been reliable. In the 0 - 60 acceleration tests, of the VUE, the 3.5 is rated about a second faster than the 3.0 not very significant to me. Also have seen on this site, some people have had problems with the Honda 5 speed auto trans. My only complaint, with the 3.0 drive train, when you stomp on the gas to pass, there is noticable torque steer. I am used to it now and just make sure both hands are on the wheel when passing. Not sure if torque steer was addressed with the Honda 3.5 V6?

Junker, Also own two S Series a 1993 SC2 and a 2002 SL2 recently purchase for our son. Have not had to put any car seats in our VUE as our two children were teen agers when we bought it. Certainly big enough for our family of four. Have taken our VUE on numerous trips and use it daily. Only routine maintenance performed. There was a recall on the rear suspension. Some parts required replacement. If you buy a used VUE, be sure to ask if this work was perfomed.

alshoe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alshoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alshoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alshoe is offline   Reply With Quote