SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins is on a distinguished road

Default 03+ New Styling to blame for demise of L-Series? Sales fell promptly after its releas

Do you find it odd but ever since the new styling was applied to the 2003 + L-Series the sales plummitted and got worse with time. Sales were ok during the 00-02 models and did not seem on the decline. Sales were steady if anything.

Seems like not everybody liked the 2003 styling.

I love my 03 with 16" tires and chrome rims..
I get compliments all the time.

Bad marketing? or was it the continued sales increases of the CAMRY and ACCORD that was the final nail in the L-series coffin?
L-series sales are so low that the CAMRY and ACCORD match the sales of the L from just their % increases for the year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bilbo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bilbo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
protonixo
protonixo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 03+ New Styling to blame for demise of L-Series? Sales fell promptly after its releas

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
...Bad marketing? or was it the continued sales increases of the CAMRY and ACCORD that was the final nail in the L-series coffin?
L-series sales are so low that the CAMRY and ACCORD match the sales of the L from just their % increases for the year.
i like the 03 design..

not just marketing but other things too like mechanical components (the competiton kept improving, for ex, the 4cyl and 6cyl foreign cars kept adding more Hp, etc), resale value, price, etc)

ex. for 2004 model..

4cyl 6cyl warranty
honda - 160hp 240hp 3/36 bumper 3/36 drivetrain
camry - 157hp 210hp 3/36 bumper 5/60 drivetrain
mazda6- 160hp 220hp 4/50 bumper 4/50 drivetrain
legacy - 165hp 212hp* 3/36 bumper 5/60 drivetrain
saturn L -140hp 182hp 3/36 bumper 3/36 drivetrain

*outback edition

competion has more power, longer warranty (except the honda which is 3 year), better resale value, etc.

we are practically telling our potential customers to buy one of the competitor's car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to protonixo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help protonixo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

New Camry and Accord are not looking as 'good' as the new L too.....I doubt if the style really killed the sales.

Guess Marketing, MSRP Price and Short Warranty are the culprits.........

How often we see the L car (Looks cool) on TV anyway? Almost 0 exposure.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Bilbo Baggins

I can't imagine how fast a 240hp Saturn L-Series would be.
With my BEL and gtech meters i get 0 to 60 times between 6.9 and 7.4 for my L300 V6 2003.
If Saturn stuck a 250hp 3.6 HF V-6 in here this thing could easily drop the times to just under 6 seconds
like in the 5.9 range...

add a supercharger and you got instant 5 second times for the
L-series..
Its so perfect in size and weight.. It would really move

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bilbo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
sstar
sstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I am partial to the 00-02 style. Obviously, I own one. I don't hate the new L and I don't think that's what killed it. I think most people who bought the L were already or wanted to be, a Saturn owner. I don't think Saturn has really attracted new customers. The 02 at 0% sold a lot of L's to people who wanted to become Saturn owners or moved up from the S. Therefore there wasn't too many Saturn owner "want to be's" left to buy the 03-04s. Boy, what a lame theory I just came up with. Ha Ha. Long live "My" LW. I will drive it into the ground. Say, the year 2014.

Last edited by sstar; 03-17-2004 at 12:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by sstar
I am partial to the 00-02 style. Obviously, I own one. I don't hate the new L and I don't think that's what killed it. I think most people who bought the L were already or wanted to be, a Saturn owner. I don't think Saturn has really attracted new customers. The 02 at 0% sold a lot of L's to people who wanted to become Saturn owners or moved up from the S. Therefore their wasn't too many Saturn owner "want to be's" left to buy the 03-04s. Boy, what a lame theory I just came up with.
Lame theory, my...
That best sums up the whole scenario.
(Saturn is looking for a few good marketing analysts, or should be)

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
LSLWSupplier
LSLWSupplier is on a distinguished road

The styling was bland to begin with, and the 03 change really didn't improve it. When I first saw the L in 99, I thought that it was not a nice looking car. When I first saw the 03, I thought "Swing and a miss-strike 2!"

The technology in the L was old when it was introduced, and is downright obsolete now. The biggest reasons for its later years sales decline are probably the introductions of the Camry, Accord, Mazda 6, which are all newer design vehicles.
If I were in the market now for a vehicle of this size, and wanted a US company vehicle, I'd buy the new Malibu over the L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LSLWSupplier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LSLWSupplier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
2k3L300HID
2k3L300HID is on a distinguished road

I think it was
styling,
marketing
and the small target audience which
looked like it was geared to only saturn owners who wanted to move up to a bigger sized Saturn sedan.
They should should have gradually increased power and put the 3.2 liter engine from the CTS into the L-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2k3L300HID's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2k3L300HID reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:49 PM   #9
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

I blame the lack of marketing , and a high MSRP compared to competitors before rebates. Also blame newer competitors such as Accord, Camry, Mazda 6, Altima- all more powerful, more refined.... yet , I still purchased my 2003 L300 after having owned two S Series vehicles.

Do I regret my purchase? Excluding the horrid resale factor, I feel I received a good deal- and will keep my L at least 3 or 4 years. Upon introduction of the next Camry in 2007, CRV in 2007, and Altima - I may be looking outside of Saturn, but haven't ruled out the VUE only if it still has the Honda engine and transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

I believe poor marketing is Saturn's major problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 PM   #11
swzine
Advanced Member
swzine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by silverplum
I believe poor marketing is Saturn's major problem.
That combined with the fact that the Camry and Accord are two of the most popular cars in any class for both sales and theft! Doesn't make sense to build something to compete against #1 and #2 if you aren't going to market it. I guess they figured the Saturn owners upgrading would be enough. Anyway, it's a nice car and most of us are very lucky to have gotten great deals on them. Too bad the deals are getting better by the day. It's funny how emotional the market is. The value goes down significantly when nothing really changed about the car. As far as I'm concerned it's worth the 18,000-20,000 it would cost to get it or a comparable car new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swzine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swzine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:20 PM   #12
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

I found that the Saturn is a great value when compared to the right vehicle. I was looking at the Camry, Outback and Maxima.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:27 PM   #13
swzine
Advanced Member
swzine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by silverplum
I found that the Saturn is a great value when compared to the right vehicle. I was looking at the Camry, Outback and Maxima.
Me too. I honestly don't know what everyone sees in the Camry and the Accord. My only point was that they're very popular, for whatever reason, and not the best car to compete with. Especially if you're not going to invest in the necessary resources. They went to war with no bullets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swzine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swzine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:46 AM   #14
Bilbo Baggins

Because they claim that Camry is the all american car that every american should buy.. Toyota says that "Toyota Camry its as American as apple pie"
Toyota they also bribe minorities with money and shcolarships
so that they will buy camry and coralla

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #15
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

The 2003 redesign is what caused me to buy my 2002 LW200.

I thought it was hideous, and knew I needed to buy a new 2002 quickly, or be stuck with a program car.

My 2002 LW200 was one of the last 5 available in the state of Texas when I bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #16
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I like the earlier style of the VUE and do not find it bland looking . They estimated sales at 200,000 units a year and never came close. When I sit in my mom's Camary the interior is nicer and more solid. The Camary is quite too. The new Camary and Accord leap frogged the L which was late to the party. The L got bad reviews in CR which turns people off. The Malibu is somewhat bland but the car looks more solid than the L.

I do like my L and has been solid after the initial problems and poor dealer service. I like the mileage of the 4 cyl (I get 36 on long trips, the comfortable seats, smooth ride and the Stereo, easy oil changes and most of all the poly (Not one ding on the car). The care has about 62,000 miles and about 3.5 years old. Would I buy another now? Yes if the price was right I would go for a 300.1 and they let me use my GM card and other incentives

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #17
lewis2
lewis2 is on a distinguished road

I think the restyle was poor but what really killed off the L was the new generations of the Camry and Accord which came out in 2003. The L could compete with the previous generation Camry and Accord but fell behind badly when the new models were released. The new Mazda 6 makes the L look like an antique and was the last nail in the coffin. As long as the Japanese companies take 1/2 the time to bring new models to market than GM, GM can never beat them because they are struggling to hit a moving target.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewis2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewis2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:10 PM   #18
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Huh?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:12 PM   #19
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

The listing of the 2000-2001 on the CR "Used Cars to Avoid" list surely didn't help when facing off against the reliability stats of Camry & Accord.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 03:27 PM   #20
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Because they claim that Camry is the all american car that every american should buy.. Toyota says that "Toyota Camry its as American as apple pie"
I cannot believe you posted that. As an American in a foreign dominated industry at a school where my program is 75% foreign, I am appalled.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread