SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Code p0691

I have a few things I'm working on on my Vue. I have a 3.5 RL AWD, automatic 5-Speed, 133k miles.

Recently, I'm trying to figure out why my low coolant light is coming on. I cleaned the reservoir and heard the sensor rattling around, but light still comes on. At first it was intermittently, now it comes on after driving for a few minutes and stays on. But, for now I will just make sure fluid is ok and check my temp. No leaks, btw.

However, a week ago, I was driving to work in the morning. It was about 75-80 degrees. I had my AC on for about 5 minutes, I turned off my AC and an error light came on, the one with the car with the wrench in the middle. When I came to a stop light, I put my car in park, turned the key off and then back on, the light didn't come on the rest of the way to work. My car drove fine.

I work at a truck maintenance shop, so one of the guys has a scanner that picked up the code. It came up as "P0691 - COOLING FAN RELAY CONTROL CURCUIT LOW."

I hear my fan come on when I turn my AC on, also I notice the surge/cool down when I don't have it on but the temperature gets about halfway on my cluster. So, the fan works, at least one of them/stages?

On the way home, the same day, I had my AC running. I have it on mostly, but I cut it off when my temp gets too high, lately itll get to almost 3/4 the way up if I have AC on (another issue or maybe related?). But, when I went to pull into my drive and pressed the AC button to turn it off, my error light came on again.

Its come back on one time since then, I don't really know how to summon it or if it has anything to do with using AC, its started this past week since the temps have been pretty hot. Also, last weekend we went camping... 2 adults, 3 kids and loaded down with camping supplies... maybe I worked it too hard with all the weight and heat.

On a side note, my ac only runs colder as rpms are up... a tech had concluded through testing that I may have a clog or restriction in my AC system. Testing one side had high pressure, and the other side was very low pressure. If that affects this or not im not sure, but figured it could help

Thanks for reading through this, sorry for the lengthy post. Trying to give as much info as I can.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Code p0691

Joseph,
A lot of good info to help us help you in the post. Now on your issues.... I think there are at least two issues here. One, there should be two fans on that thing, one that kicks on with the a/c, and the other runs of the engine temp primarily.. . And it sounds to me like the sending unit for the primary fan is having an issue... That would be the first thing I look at.
As for the only get cold a/c at high rpm... Look at the BIG a/c post about replacing the spring valve in the compressor. . I bet you need to replace it and your a/c will start freezing you out of the car.

Hope this helps,

Johm

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
squirrelracer
squirrelracer is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Hi im new to this forum but work on saturns. The cooling fan will run with the a/c on to cool the high side condesor. the cooling fan has 2 speeds or there are 2 fans my guess would be a cooling fan issue not cooling the condenser until you are going fast enuf to cool it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to squirrelracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help squirrelracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
squirrelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
JosephN79

2004 VUE Red Line

Thank you both for your replies!

Varon, is this part actually called the "primary fan sending unit?" Ill do research on it to see what it actually does and may replace it.

Also, do you have a link to that long thread on AC? Otherwise ill just search it, Im sure its hard to miss. If its a valve malfunctioning, then that would definitely cause a restriction shown by testing.

If I am having trouble with the fan, that makes sense that using the AC more and my car getting hotter would send or set off codes, just the combination of everything happening at once I guess.

Another thing, my fan stays on a bit after I come home, after car is off, mostly when its hot out, but ive heard this is normal...

Thank you as well squirrel racer . . .

Thanks again!

Ill let you know if i resolve it.

Have a great weekend...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Joseph,
In case my attempt to paste doesn't work, the thread is called 'lo idle a/c issue solved' it is right near or at the bottom of the current page....

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191521

What do you know.... That actually worked., and not sure of the primary fan sender unit name... But if you use the search bar and look for fan sender unit or something similar... It should come up....

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
JosephN79

2004 VUE Red Line

Sounds good to me . . . ill read this thread and tinker around a little.

I think my car knows im about to spend money on it, so stuff just HAPPENED to come up . . . you know how VUES are!

Thanks again..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
hojcat
hojcat is on a distinguished road

Did you ever resolve the P0691 fan issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hojcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hojcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hojcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
hojcat
hojcat is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I haven't logged in here for a year. One of the fans was frozen. I found a youtube video where the guy showed how to lightly tap the fan at the base. I hit it several times and it started running again. I did end up having to have the transmission rebuilt. That solved my transmission issue of not shifting into overdrive on the freeway.

However, I still have the overheating problem. I finally took it to a shop last week and was informed that I needed a new water pump....This included flushing the cooling system and replacing the thermostat. Then the guy up-sold me radiator hoses (that I don't think I needed), a belt that runs the water pump around the water pump, alternator, etc. (this belt was replaced 3 years ago), and a harmonic balancer (that I didn't approve to have replaced beforehand). $1700. later, I have the same overheating issue.
The overflow reservoir appears to have mostly water in it with some scum floating at the top. The receipt indicates that 1 gallon of coolant was put in. I found that 2 gallons should have been put in for a Vue Redline 3.5L V6.
I know that I was totally ripped off by this garage. I am taking it back in today to try and get a resolution.
The gauge usually sits at the quarter mark. Now it is always at the middle and above. Does anyone else have the gauge at the 1/2 way mark in normal city driving?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180810_142337.jpg (106.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180810_142407.jpg (104.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by hojcat; 08-10-2018 at 06:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hojcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hojcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hojcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Tim Rich, Sr
Tim Rich, Sr is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I don't know about "normal city driving", but my temp gauge has always resembled your lefthand picture; in eastern WA we have temps in the high 90's and low 100's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tim Rich, Sr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tim Rich, Sr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tim Rich, Sr is offline   Reply With Quote