SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default haven't been here in a while

those of you who have been around for a bit will probably remember Doris and me.
today was the end of an era, I traded Doris in for a '93 F-150, as i've been really wanting/needing a truck for a while, and it was getting harder and harder to pretend that Doris was.

just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the help over the years.

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: haven't been here in a while

You are going to have a hard time getting 30+ MPG out of a truck...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

All good things must come to an end.

I've got a '95 F150 myself, and love the earlier body style. Plenty of good truck forums out there too.

Did you get a reasonable trade for Doris?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Best to you and Doris

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

F150 prior to 1996 best truck ever. Especially that old 300 cu in straight six and manual trans. Lotsa torque not a revver but real truck torque you could use. And 25 MPG EASY!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You are going to have a hard time getting 30+ MPG out of a truck...
THIS. With all the money I save on gas, I could rent a truck when needed. But usually only have to borrow one.

I know some people 'need' trucks more than others. I hope you don't regret your move. Good luck.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
F150 prior to 1996 best truck ever. Especially that old 300 cu in straight six and manual trans. Lotsa torque not a revver but real truck torque you could use. And 25 MPG EASY!
We sold my wife's cancer-ridden '83 F150 solely on the 300 engine. Guy called, had me put the phone under the hood near the engine, started it up, and he said "sold", sight-unseen, just based on the sound. Currently running two Powerstrokes of that body style ("OBS"); with 3.55 gearing, intake and exhaust upgrades and a chip, you can tickle 25MPG, and that's with a 3/4-ton 4x4.

Good to hear from you, Ben. Watch the cancer on that F150! (Oh wait, nothing ever rusts in the PNW, right? ) www.ford-trucks.com seems to be the best all-around Ford truck forum site, for gassers, diesels, old, new, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I remember you for sure.
Good luck on the new ventures, Ben.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisSL View Post
Doris and me..
From the cab of your Ford pick-up you'll be able to get a good look at all the S-Series and pick out you next Doris

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
...you can tickle 25MPG, and that's with a 3/4-ton 4x4....
You got my attention. Best I ever got was 19
(currently in process of plugging the plug back in under the driver's rocker cover...and painting anything I can't salute)

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 13 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

It was actually a straight across trade.

And its not an inline 6...its a 5.8 liter v8.

I'm sure I'll miss Doris, but I only have a 4 mile commute these days, and I've been needing a truck more and more these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That 351 can be a real gas hog... Pickup trucks tend to turn into road going dumpsters..

You will have fun with the truck though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
You got my attention. Best I ever got was 19
(currently in process of plugging the plug back in under the driver's rocker cover...and painting anything I can't salute)
I see a wide range of mileage reported on the various forums. Lot of fellas like to drive these trucks in a, er, spirited manner. IIRC, yours is/was a one-ton, right? That would make a difference. And if it was an automatic, OBS, that E4OD was not a very efficient tranny. And yes, the condition of those UVC harnesses and the connectors in the gaskes are critical (n.b.: these trucks have the injectors and glow plugs inside the valve train, under the valve covers; the gaskets have the electrical connectors built into them).

One thing that surprises me is that our extended cab truck gets about 2 MPG (10%) less than the regular cab; I don't think there's more than about 200-300 lb weight difference. The RC truck gets 22-22.5, stock except for the intake. A chip tuned for economy (and yes, the multi-setting chips for these trucks really do interact with the PCM) should get another 1 MPG, and then there's that stoopid pancake-flat exhaust downpipe. 3" round aftermarket DP usu. nets another +1 MPG; more if anything unfortunate were to accidentally happen to the cat.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I remember you... thanks for your assistance in my early saturnfans days man

Good luck with the Eff-One-Fitty.... (You still haven't told us if it's an auto-tragic or a stick...)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
It was actually a straight across trade.

And its not an inline 6...its a 5.8 liter v8.

I'm sure I'll miss Doris, but I only have a 4 mile commute these days, and I've been needing a truck more and more these days.
One good thing is that you can increase your MPG return on the older trucks fairly easily. Underdrive pulleys and/or electric fans, free flowing exhaust, ignition mods, etc all make a difference on these trucks. I'd have to look back at my number for exacts but I got in the range of 18% better mileage on my 302 powered truck doing such things, and have greater torque and a little more top end HP as well.

Ditto on a proper street tuned chip. I ran a custom tuned Superchip for a while and the difference in MPG more than made up for the cost delta running premium... and that was back when gas was cheaper and the price difference wasn't much less than it is now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I remember you... thanks for your assistance in my early saturnfans days man

Good luck with the Eff-One-Fitty.... (You still haven't told us if it's an auto-tragic or a stick...)
it's the e4od oldnuc mentioned (auto tragic, the biggest thing i don't like about it)

i'm already getting to go neck-deep into working on it, and wow... distributed v8s are a whole world away from saturns. and the truck forum guys are not nearly as friendly as the guys here.

thanks for the tip on the forum, madpogue. i'm on another forum right now trying to diagnose a no-start (i'm a member over there as well, but my computer hated that website when my no-start...erm...started...), hopefully that'll all be wrapped up tomorrow, i think i have enough info on it now.

trading out doris was a hard decision, but i think the truck will turn out to be a good direction for me, if i figure out this no-start.

it does need a name, though (open to suggestions!), and a fresh coat of paint (which i've already started on)

and almost no rust on it so far, there are a couple minor spots where the paint is flaked off from a canopy installed by the PO, but i'll get to them soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
more if anything unfortunate were to accidentally happen to the cat.....
but how would i know????? there's no rear o2 sensor, so it wouldn't throw a code or anything!

some things i've noticed so far:
my muffler is about the same size as the block from doris.

spark plug/wire changes aren't nearly as easy

fuel filter was only $12.99

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
it's the e4od oldnuc mentioned (auto tragic, the biggest thing i don't like about it)

i'm already getting to go neck-deep into working on it, and wow... distributed v8s are a whole world away from saturns. and the truck forum guys are not nearly as friendly as the guys here.

The E4OD is a fairly strong tranny. Some of the blower 1st Gen Lightnings were pumping out 450-500 HP through them.

As for that distributor, just remember you still have computer control with it. You can alter your base timing by the old school method though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Like any electronic tranny, the E4OD can be lots of fun when it comes to external sensors. Example - keep th brake lights working on your truck, including the center cab-roof one. Truck uses the '70s-style shared filaments for brake and turn signals on the lights on the bed, so those two circuits are connected. So for some reason, when the center stop bulb is burnt out, and you hit a turn signal, it sends an eddy current or sneak circuit back to the brake light switch. PCM "interprets" that as you hitting the brake pedal, and unlocks the torque converter. Also, if your speedo ever wavers, the VSS is getting icked up or worn out, and of course, that'll confound the E4OD.

Quote:

thanks for the tip on the forum, madpogue. i'm on another forum right now trying to diagnose a no-start (i'm a member over there as well, but my computer hated that website when my no-start...erm...started...), hopefully that'll all be wrapped up tomorrow, i think i have enough info on it now.
FTE is pretty friendly. I started there way back when Julie broke (yes, broke!) the shifter off on her F150 - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/15...d-shifter.html. PM me from there (same user name) if you decide to join.

Quote:
trading out doris was a hard decision, but i think the truck will turn out to be a good direction for me, if i figure out this no-start.
What's the no-start? Is it cranking?

Quote:
it does need a name, though (open to suggestions!), and a fresh coat of paint (which i've already started on)
Is it a two-tone? Just remember, it's a violation of international law to repaint a two-tone truck a single color .

Last edited by madpogue; 04-27-2012 at 08:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Older Ford engines have temperature sensor issues as well as Saturn, so change it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Like any electronic tranny, the E4OD can be lots of fun when it comes to external sensors. Example - keep th brake lights working on your truck, including the center cab-roof one. Truck uses the '70s-style shared filaments for brake and turn signals on the lights on the bed, so those two circuits are connected. So for some reason, when the center stop bulb is burnt out, and you hit a turn signal, it sends an eddy current or sneak circuit back to the brake light switch. PCM "interprets" that as you hitting the brake pedal, and unlocks the torque converter. Also, if your speedo ever wavers, the VSS is getting icked up or worn out, and of course, that'll confound the E4OD.

FTE is pretty friendly. I started there way back when Julie broke (yes, broke!) the shifter off on her F150 - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/15...d-shifter.html. PM me from there (same user name) if you decide to join.

What's the no-start? Is it cranking?

Is it a two-tone? Just remember, it's a violation of international law to repaint a two-tone truck a single color .
it's cranking, i have fuel in the chambers and i have spark, so now it seems one of these things is happening at the wrong time

it's a single color truck, going with the same single color

good tip on the ECTS, oldnuc,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!