SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Exhaust woes

it's been a while since i've been on, which is good, i suppose....

so, here's the new problem.

started about a week ago, and i think i have it nailed but i want to confirm.

starts fine, holds idle speeds fine, but with a bit of trembling.
ANY increase in throttle causes SIGNIFICANT increase in trembling.
very slow throttle response, fairly major loss of power.

did the tracheotomy (without the drive...) and the idle tremble was gone, no more increase in tremble from accelerator. will repeat later with a drive.

it's a clogged cat, right?

part B - fixing it:
obviously i'd like to fix it for as little money as possible without harming the car. i've seen mentioned the "steam clean" where you spray a mist of water into the intake while idling. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...08&postcount=2 just so i'm clear on this, i'd be increasing the throttle position to WOT while increasing the flow of water to drop the idle to 1700, then hold for 5-10 minutes. correct? will this cause noise/smell that will bother neighbors?

obviously, i'll eventually have to replace the cat or car, but i don't have the cash for either right now, so i need an alternate solution for the time being.

being a '95 i only have a precat o2 sensor, so i could punch the cat out without harm to the car, correct?

the downsides of this are harm to the environment and smelly exhaust, right? will it be excessively noisy while running if i do this?

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Exhaust woes

Ben,

How about this? Might be worth a shot?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171887

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

If popping the O2 solved your issues, I'd agree with your clogged cat or exhaust thought.

Is your state an inspection state? I so, you can't get away with punching it out. If they don't inspect, I'd punch away personally now to get Doris back and going again.

If you are goin' el cheapo here, after punching it, I'd keep an eye out for somebody doing a part-out and buy a used one. Otherwise, stick with the punched one. You figure you have driven your car 16 years and not purchased a new one. Purchasing a new car and consuming all those raw materials is a bigger environmental impact than you punching a cat to help get a few more years out of Doris. Time for the environment to take one for the team.

My opinion anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by velleguy73 View Post
If popping the O2 solved your issues, I'd agree with your clogged cat or exhaust thought.

Is your state an inspection state? I so, you can't get away with punching it out. If they don't inspect, I'd punch away personally now to get Doris back and going again.

If you are goin' el cheapo here, after punching it, I'd keep an eye out for somebody doing a part-out and buy a used one. Otherwise, stick with the punched one. You figure you have driven your car 16 years and not purchased a new one. Purchasing a new car and consuming all those raw materials is a bigger environmental impact than you punching a cat to help get a few more years out of Doris. Time for the environment to take one for the team.

My opinion anyway.
emissions ever 2 years. just got them done 2 years ago, which would mean 22 months to save up for a new car or new catcon....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Ben,

How about this? Might be worth a shot?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171887
i found that on my preliminary searching and got so excited.
but i have a '95 w/cali emissions, and they aren't looking to test those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!