SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
Default IP banned

Hello to the mods/admin:

For some reason my IP for my home internet connection has been banned by this site. I'm not sure why that would be, but it prevents me from posting from home. Can someone please fix this? Thanks!

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: IP banned

I'm neither a moderator or administrator but your problem is something with your home computer system, virus protection program and internet provider filtering against malware. Saturnfans is not a secured site and may be interpreted by some anti virus programs as malware so it prevents connecting to this site. Are there any new programs recently added to your home system? Anything added in a new cable or satellite system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Call your IP provider when you are home, in front of your computer. They can walk you through the process of configuring it properly. In the meantime if you are using IE, try a different browser - like Firefox.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm neither a moderator or administrator but your problem is something with your home computer system, virus protection program and internet provider filtering against malware. Saturnfans is not a secured site and may be interpreted by some anti virus programs as malware so it prevents connecting to this site. Are there any new programs recently added to your home system? Anything added in a new cable or satellite system?
No this is not the issue. The admin has explicitly banned my IP. See attached photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn.jpg (94.5 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Furthermore, I can use the exact same session on the exact same device, but connect to my phone using its hotspot and mobile data, and I am able to access the site, hence my being able to post right now. If I connect back to my own home internet connection, thus back to the IP that is banned, I will get the message that my IP has been banned. Conclusion? The site has banned my IP for some reason or another.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In the field of communications via the internet, there are two sides (this site and your home IP address) with the internet in-between. This is still your problem. If you consider the larger perspective, either a Saturnfan server issue is the problem or its on your end (home router and pc/laptop/tablet software, anti virus software. Since no one is reporting problems with 24/7 access to Saturnfans, this isn't a Saturnfans server or site problem. At the moment, you are the only one unable to connect thru your pc/laptop/tablet. Your phone connection isn't using the internet if you have digital data plan and use the phone to access the internet to Saturnfans.

My guess is your home pc/laptop/tablet may be hijacked from inadvertently clicking on an ad or reading spam mail that invisibly downloads a hack to overtake your pc/laptop/tablet. I've had several occasions in the past where my IP address was deliberately changed and could not get onto the internet. When checking connection status, I found a completely different IP address instead of the usual 192.168.1 address. Rebooting my pc and disconnecting either wireless or network cable forces a reset to reconnect automatically back to assigned addresses for reconnecting to the internet. The router wasn't shanghaied but somehow a program reassigned the normal IP address to a different one, disabling any connection to the internet.

Are you able to use your pc/laptop/tablet to any other site?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #7
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
In the field of communications via the internet, there are two sides (this site and your home IP address) with the internet in-between. This is still your problem. If you consider the larger perspective, either a Saturnfan server issue is the problem or its on your end (home router and pc/laptop/tablet software, anti virus software. Since no one is reporting problems with 24/7 access to Saturnfans, this isn't a Saturnfans server or site problem. At the moment, you are the only one unable to connect thru your pc/laptop/tablet. Your phone connection isn't using the internet if you have digital data plan and use the phone to access the internet to Saturnfans.

My guess is your home pc/laptop/tablet may be hijacked from inadvertently clicking on an ad or reading spam mail that invisibly downloads a hack to overtake your pc/laptop/tablet. I've had several occasions in the past where my IP address was deliberately changed and could not get onto the internet. When checking connection status, I found a completely different IP address instead of the usual 192.168.1 address. Rebooting my pc and disconnecting either wireless or network cable forces a reset to reconnect automatically back to assigned addresses for reconnecting to the internet. The router wasn't shanghaied but somehow a program reassigned the normal IP address to a different one, disabling any connection to the internet.

Are you able to use your pc/laptop/tablet to any other site?
Sorry but that's not correct. All my devices can access ALL sites, including this one, when using a different internet connection, and therefore different IP. There is no issue with my devices. The issue, as clearly shown in the picture I attached, IS a server issue. Someone or some program has EXPLICITLY banned the IP address that my Internet provider provides me.

Just so you know, I have 20 years as desktop/laptop/server/network support, and recently as a criminal computer forensic analyst. I'm not trying to boast, its just that in this instance, I know what I'm talking about. Somebody on the site's server end must unban my IP, or I need to receive a new IP from my provider. Unless the server has for some reason banned my entire subnet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you click on the underlined words in the error message "click here"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 AM   #9
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Did you click on the underlined words in the error message "click here"?
Yes, I did. Of course when I'm using my home internet connection, I get the same error again, from the site. I tried yesterday, with another internet connection, and it gave me a page not found error. I tried again just now and it works. It brings you to the feedback page, I submitted the problem. We'll see. BTW, I didn't mention that this has been going on for about 3 weeks now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #10
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
No this is not the issue. The admin has explicitly banned my IP. See attached photo:
Hi,
Unfortunately we've gotten hit pretty hard by spammers over the years. There could be a couple of issues going on here, but it could very well be that your home's public facing IP address falls within a range that was blocked as a result of a previous attack. Please send me your IP address to saturnfans@gmail.com and I'll investigate further. Based on your field of work you probably already know what to send me, but just in case, I typically recommend folks Googling "what is my ip" and sending me what Google displays as their public facing IP address above the search results. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #11
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi,
Unfortunately we've gotten hit pretty hard by spammers over the years. There could be a couple of issues going on here, but it could very well be that your home's public facing IP address falls within a range that was blocked as a result of a previous attack. Please send me your IP address to saturnfans@gmail.com and I'll investigate further. Based on your field of work you probably already know what to send me, but just in case, I typically recommend folks Googling "what is my ip" and sending me what Google displays as their public facing IP address above the search results. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks!
Charlie
Thanks Charlie, I sent you an email.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #12
phazer33
phazer33 is on a distinguished road

This is a little of subject but i am new here and not sure were or how to post questions etc... i see no tab or button to post a message....just to reply as i am doing ...lol..
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phazer33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phazer33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phazer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
Thanks Charlie, I sent you an email.
Hi Charlie, I'm still having this issue with my home IP. Any update?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #14
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

So I went to my brothers house, who lives in the same area as me, and has the same ISP as me, and when I try to access the site from there, my IP is also banned, thus making me believe that for some reason an entire range of IPs has been banned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!