SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
jessesmith121
jessesmith121 is on a distinguished road

Default Timing Belt Change with out tool

I am wanting to change my timing belt. But I dont have the 600 for the tool. Can the timing belt be changed without the expensive tool?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessesmith121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessesmith121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessesmith121 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Timing Belt Change with out tool

Yes, do a search on L timing belt. There are a couple of good write-ups.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesmith121 View Post
I am wanting to change my timing belt. But I dont have the 600 for the tool. Can the timing belt be changed without the expensive tool?
I don't belong here, but is this the 3.0L V6 L81?
If so, see this pic . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1282779801

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

More explanatory version . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cam Loc.JPG (109.0 KB, 624 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
eowynn
eowynn is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

www.ledfix.com rents the tool for like 125.00 or so you keep it 30 days then return it

if you decided to go with the tool option

95 sl2 150,000
02 L300 140,000
02 Vue 99,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eowynn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eowynn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eowynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Paradoxmaker
Paradoxmaker has a spectacular aura aboutParadoxmaker has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1999 SL1

I did it about 3 months ago with zipties, worked great

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Paradoxmaker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Paradoxmaker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Paradoxmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
ckallis
ckallis is on a distinguished road

Ive done several of the Cambelt kits on the V6 engines over here in the UK.

Each time i have never used any form of tools, just gotto take your time thats all.

The correct locking tools from the UK are very cheap, the kit can be bought for around 50 (prob less than $150 delivered to the usa)

The timing belt kits are very cheap over here too.

For the UK its 40,000 miles or 4 years the timing belt kit needs changing, not sure what your schedule is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ckallis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ckallis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ckallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
eowynn

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

i could try and search ....but you wouldn't happen to have a uk web site with cheap cam locks and belt kits would you....??

95 sl2 150,000
02 L300 140,000
02 Vue 99,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eowynn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
ckallis
ckallis is on a distinguished road

ill have a look for you see if any will ship worldwide.

the cam/crank locking tools are these, search Ebay item number: 150494406925

Have seen them cheaper than that too,lots of local motor factors sell these kits for similar prices too.

The timing/cam belt kits are as follows, search ebay item number: 330468317932

For the V6 engines in the UK there is 3 different timingbelt kits depending on age. with the saturns they will be the later type of kit (different positioning of the 2 idler pulleys.) the pulleys are all the same anyway so worst case you can unbolt the new idler pulley and tensioner off the metal bracket and fit to your original metal bracket.

again these timing belt kits are cheap from local motor factors. Remember GATES is the manufacturer of the Genuine GM timing belt kits so will be sure to last.

Ive paid 55 gbp for a full timing belt kit off the ineternet (vauxhallworldparts.co.uk) and ive bought a couple from local motor factors at around 70gbp.

Any info or anythign dont hesitate to aks or message me.i'dbehappy to locate stuff for you guys and post it out to the USA if it helps as it does seem rather expensive for these bits over there, due to how comon they are here its very cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ckallis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ckallis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ckallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
jessesmith121
jessesmith121 is on a distinguished road

Well I did it.... Took me about 6hrs. Really was not that bad. Was very nerve racking starting it the first time. 140000 on the orig belt.. Lets say I dont think it was going to make it another 1000 miles... It was looking bad... Changed the accesory belt, altenator, water pump, all timing crap, and plugs... good day everything runs well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessesmith121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessesmith121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessesmith121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
slowgls
slowgls is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Good job.Now you should be a pro now.

1999 Saturn sl2 DOHC 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowgls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowgls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slowgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
eowynn

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Yes thanks very much for all the info.......

95 sl2 150,000
02 L300 140,000
02 Vue 99,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Firestarter
Firestarter is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

What is needed to loosen the pulley or tension pulley to remove the belt? Could someone point out what pulley needs to be loosened or removed? Do I also need to do anything with the crankshaft with harmonic balancer on the bottom?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firestarter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firestarter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firestarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You loosen all 3 of the idler pulleys, 2 straight idler and 1 tensioner pulley, they all have to be rotated on final assembly to get the proper belt tension all the way around while keeping everything in time. You need a set of metric wrenches and 3/8 drive sockets, I do not remember all the sizes that I used, some of the nuts and bolts American wrenches will fit but metric is better. The front engine mount bolts will take a couple of larger sockets and I am sorry I do not remember what size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L

Good Morning,

The first thing I recommend is a subscription to ALLDATADiy for your car. At $16.95 for one year it is well worth it to have access to the drawings and torque specifications needed to re-assemble.

The harmonic balancer will need to be removed during this process. All it took was the removal of six torx head bolts and poof, done. Be sure to have a white paint pen handy to mark the position of the balancer on the crank shaft prior to removal. Not sure how important it is, but I alway like putting it back together the way I found it. Speaking of crank shafts, the big bolt in the middle is a torx, but I used a 5/8ths wrench to rotate the crankshaft around with no issues.

A torque wrench is needed, in my humble opinion. Something that goes up to 80 foot pounds will do.

A set of torx bolt sockets is needed for just about any project with this car. My set goes from E-4 to E-18. It is a socket out of this set that you will use to loosen the tensioner pulleys.

I used both the zip tie and fender bolt method for holding the cam shafts in place, and I prefer the fender bolt.

I also take a lot of digital pictures during the project so I know how it looked before I took it apart. This is really handy when trying to figure out the tension position of belt pulleys and electrical connections.

The white paint pen I mentioned before is great for making timing marks on your new belt if it didn't come with them. The belt I received for my L car in 2008 had them already, but the belt I bought for the Vue last month did not.

Take a look at my member pictures to get an idea on how it all looks when you are diving into this project. Post back if you have any questions.

"So, this is where dreams come to die."

SGT Richard McCarthy, 2-127th IN Regiment, 32nd IBCT
Camp Bucca, Iraq

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Luckily I am a heavy equipment mechanic so I have a lot tools. Including a full set or all torx and external torx. Standard and metric wrenches, ratchet wrenches, crows feet and sockets. But my smallest torque wrench only goes down to 50 ft lb. Will this be enough?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Firestarter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #17
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Does anyone know the lowest torque that will be needed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

One last question how do you know how to position the pulleys and make sure the tension on the belt is correct. Do you people remove the fender off from the car to get to the belt or access it from the wheel well.

Last edited by Firestarter; 10-22-2010 at 06:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
eowynn

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

I didn't remove fender but i did jack the motor up slightly once the motor mount had been taken off to give a better view of the work area.

Ive posted it before but here is a place to got the tool cheap if you didn't see it previously
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...lookup=OTC6687

as to tightening procedures I will note you should pay attention to the orientation placement of the two eccentric idler guide roller when you take them off so you can replace them in the same orientation,the tension-er pullley is set about 3mm above reference mark on tensioner ,there definitely is a better description than the one ive given try 'search this forumn' option for additional info,hopefully this gets you started

95 sl2 150,000
02 L300 140,000
02 Vue 99,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Well I am just a little over an hour into it and I am at the timing belt and water pump. I am going to replace the water pump and timing belt tomorrow. Had a little trouble with the bolts that hold the pulley on the water pump. Used a E10 external torx and it just spun around and ruined the bolt head. Drove an 8mm 6 point socket on it and it turned out nice and easy. My guess is a bad bolt soft metal or something because all the others came out nice and easy. Nothing really felt that tight on the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!