SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Keviefriend
Keviefriend is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Inconvenient cig lighter location

Has anyone had any success moving the cigarette lighter to an alternate location? I'd thought somewhere near the fuse panel would be ok, even if it just hangs there.

Any thoughts? I know this is a primitive thought in it's infancy.

Also still haven't tackled my cd changer yet, the current thought is to superglue velcro to it, velcro it to the back of the back seat (still in the trunk) and then bungee it to hold it there.

Just a thought...

Let me know what you think of the lighter idea?

Thanks!

Kev

98 SL2M red loaded+working sunroof 135K miles sold 2011
95 SL1M teal totalled November 08.
99 Yahama Razz scooter

Looking for another under $1k in or somewhat near Minneapolis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keviefriend's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keviefriend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keviefriend is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
ppeSC2
ppeSC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Inconvenient cig lighter location

Yes the cigarette lighter in these cars are a little inconvinient, especially if its a manual trans. In my car if i have a phone charger plugged in i have to unplug it to get it into first. I was thinking of moving mine onto the side cover where the CD player console is Where the fuse panel would be except on the drivers side, drill a hole into it and mount it there and make it look almost factory, and then plug the hole with something for the exsisting hole. As for your cd changer and everything i would say spend a little time to make it a nice and permenant fix. I mean bungee cords will work fine but i think i would make something to hold into place. But you do what you think is best, its not my car, its yours. But i hope everything works out for you fine and good luck.

Real Cars dont make power to the front tires, they lift them
When the clutch drops the f*^cking stops
When the green light drops the Bull S^&t Stops

96 SC2 1.9 DOHC 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ppeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ppeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ppeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Instead of moving the cigarette lighter, couldn't you leave the existing one, and add a second one in a more convenient location? Then you don't have to worry about having to find something to plug the old hole with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Radio Shack has them, set up to flush mount them or they have a mounting bracket. Just wire the power wire to ignition (if you want it to work only when the car is on) or to constant 12v (for it to always be on) and the other wire to ground.

My lighter is used for my radar detector, but it's so far from my windshield and the curly cord goes over my stereo. I want to get a straight cord, and chop of the plug so I can just wire it to come on when the ignition is on, and I can have the wire go through the dash or wherever I want.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Maybe one of these could be a quick, simple alternative?
Attached Images
File Type: gif adapter1.gif (4.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: gif Adapter2.gif (10.7 KB, 4 views)

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Keviefriend
Keviefriend is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Maybe one of these could be a quick, simple alternative?
Well, not really
The plugs on those come out so far as that it doesn't save the cupholder, which is the objective. I like the idea that quiksc2 had... That would work nicely. I don't want mine on the driver's side because my friend and my husband will both drive my car and have to adjust the seat up further because they're short and they'll just knock it out anyway. I was thinking on the passenger's side under where the cupholders are... Would a junkyard assembly work for this? I have to go there tomorrow anyway for a tire for the Saturn and also for some stuff for the topaz (Husband's car)...
Might also tear apart a Dakota engine so my friend can see what he has to work with for his truck that's on the outs.

Thanks

Kev

98 SL2M red loaded+working sunroof 135K miles sold 2011
95 SL1M teal totalled November 08.
99 Yahama Razz scooter

Looking for another under $1k in or somewhat near Minneapolis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keviefriend's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keviefriend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keviefriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

The Sat isn't here right now to go look at but the only issue I can think of is finding a way to make a solid mount on the plastic console or the kick panel. You might find a socket at the JY that would work but I think the RS suggestion would probably be the best. A quick on-line looks to be in the $5.00 range for a new one. I'm thinking the right angle mount fastened through the tunnel (check underneath for cables and such) but there may be other places that would be cleaner?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

Last edited by off-track; 09-07-2008 at 09:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote