SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 12:43 AM   #1
SonicMr2
SonicMr2 is on a distinguished road

Default Where to find a good & Cheap car lift?

I love my '94 SL2 and enjoy doing the maintainance on it. However, because the car is so low and the oil filter is on the back of the engine, I have to drive it onto ramps just for a oil change. To make the problem worse, my standard car ramps are too high for the Saturn, so I have to use ramp extensions. I hate ramps!!! I'm afraid next time I'm going to overshoot and fall off the edge.

I looked into digging a pit in the garage, but there are too many regulations, and the cost is too high. Are there any good quality, STURDY, and relatively cheap car lifts out there? I don't need a industrial grade hydrolics monster that can raise a bus up through the roof. Just a foot off the ground is fine for me.

Next year, I'm getting a Toyota MR-2. I'd hate to back up that car onto ramps. (mid engine, rear wheel drive)

TIA,

Sonic Mr.2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonicMr2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonicMr2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2000, 12:26 AM   #2
Jon94SoLo2

When I change the oil on my '94 SL2, I just jack up and remove the front right tire, remove the plastic splash guard toward the rear-inside of the wheel well and voila! There is the oil filter! The oil pan drain plug is just a few inches beyond that. I do feel your pain though. There have been many occasions where I wish I had a couple of inches more to work with under the car. I too have had no luck with ramps.

Jon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jon94SoLo2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jon94SoLo2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2000, 10:51 AM   #3
Saldana SC2 2K
Saldana SC2 2K will become famous soon enough

I have a pit in my garage. Since Joey is moving his shop chk with him for a lift.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saldana SC2 2K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saldana SC2 2K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2000, 11:48 AM   #4
SonicMr2

I finally found some good car lifts. Still kind too pricy for me. I talked to a guy at work. He bought a Snap-on 2-post lift a few years back for $22K. He said the 2-post lift I found looked exact like his, only $17K less. Now he's pretty mad at Snap-on.

http://www.autolifts.com/shop/Lifts.html

Cheers,

Sonic Mr.2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SonicMr2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2000, 09:07 AM   #5
joeybagodonuts

what??????? dude, i buy all my car lifts brand new for about 3k! and with install about 3600.00
check with a company called challenger, i ahvenmt bought a new one in like 5 years but theres no way they went up that much.
the ones i sold went for 1500.00 each!
also check the trader online, they sell cars but if they have a section for their "bargain trader" on line you'll find them all day for under 3k!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joeybagodonuts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joeybagodonuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-19-2000, 09:08 AM   #6
joeybagodonuts

p.s. if you look on my web site, mine were fully asymetrical modern clean lifts, ####, give me 10k i'll pick you up a brand new one in miami and deliver it anywhere in the country with my truck and trailer~!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joeybagodonuts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joeybagodonuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-19-2000, 06:25 PM   #7
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Car lifts are for the hard-core guys who spend a lot of time underneath the car and need the clearance to access suspension, exhaust, and other components under the car. For the normal do-it-yourselfer who changes motoroil and filters, tire rotations, a hydraulic floorjack and jackstand will work fine. Go to Sears and buy a hydraulic floorjack from them. I bought mine many years ago, and I bought a CraftsMan two ton hydraulic jack for around 50 bucks. It's quality stuff that'll last you a lifetime, plus it's very safe. Just remember to put a jackstand under the rails of the car to supplement the hydraulic jack, just in case the hydraulics fail. Otherwise, it's relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and most importatly, safe! I can easily crawl under the car and access the oil filter. Much better than ramps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2000, 10:59 PM   #8
SonicMr2

No guys! www.autolifts.com sells a brand new, 7000 lb. capacity, 2-post version for $2350. I think that's not too bad. I have ramps, hydraulics floor jacks, and jack stands. But they are all too much trouble. I do enough car work to justify the expanse, I guess... Anyway, I might make it a Christmas gift for myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2000, 11:48 PM   #9
LI 350
Advanced Member
LI 350 is on a distinguished road

I have a 97 SL2, to change the oil, I just find a curb that has one of those gradual lips on it, drive up the front end so the right side of the car's about 3" higher (up on the curb). The first time I did it I got a little paranoid becuase the exaust is an inch or two from your nose, but after a min. or so ya get used to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LI 350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LI 350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread