SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Bubs
Bubs is on a distinguished road

Default Cracked windshield - hooray.

Well, I got out of school to find a nice big crack on the passenger side of my windshield. I heard a popping noise last night on my way home from work, so chances are it spread overnight or while I was at college. I already knew that I was about to get shafted, since I have heard horror stories about first gen Saturn windshields. First place quoted me $640, thankfully I found another place that will replace it for $420. Is that about the cheapest I will find one?

Also, I heard that I'm even more screwed if the rear window breaks. How expensive do those run?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
myth8892
myth8892 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cracked windshield - hooray.

Make sure when they replace the windshield they do not do a shabby job, I recently bought my saturn knowing i needed to replace the windshield, and it costed me only 300.00 in cincinnati ohio, bad part was they did a fairly shabby job with putting the trim on.
My mechanice recommended them and i wished i would have went with someone else, the trim job sucked badly in my opinion, i have to call them and give them some hell now to have them replace it or give me my money back.
Inspect your windshield and take pictures if you can, and than do the same after it is done, my windshield does not leak but the shabby job doesnt look very good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myth8892's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myth8892 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myth8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I had my front windshield done on my 94 SL2 by Safelite for about $250.

http://www.safelite.com/

Your cost may vary by location; but they came out to my job and replaced the front windshield in about an hour. Good service, friendly people.

I would reccomend.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myth8892 View Post
Inspect your windshield and take pictures if you can, and than do the same after it is done,
That's brilliant! Love digital cameras.

Print out the picture and get either the service writer (if you go in person) or installer to sign and date it on the back before they do the work. They certainly can't argue "it was like that before" if they screw it up.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Bubs

Hey,

Dropped the car off this morning, got it back at noon. They did a great job, even putting my inspection sticker and parking decal back on the new window. It's nice having a crystal clear windshield after being used to the old, pitted one I had before.

The guy attributes the crack to rust right where the top of the windshield meets. Basically, the rust bubbled, put pressure on the windshield and cracked it. He repaired the rust spots but said he cannot guarantee that it won't happen again. Regardless, it's all set and good to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
myth8892

Your lucky, mine was done half-assed and i talked to the glass company, even went and showed my car to them, and they said is it leaking??
I said no, but the job looks like a 5 yr old did it, (had another glass company look at it) anyways, i said no, it is not leaking and they said they could not do anything about it than.
The other window company said the windshield was not set straight and it is a cheap piece of glass to boot. The seal above the windshield is good in the middle but on the edges about a foot from each side, it is raised, it basically looks like a job i would have done with no experience what's so ever.
The other company said they would replace and fix all that stuff but of course at a cost of 345.00.
I can deal with a half-assed windshield job for only so long, so i might be needing to replace it soon, I bought this 94 sc1 and want to try and restore it basically to original condition, so it's hard for me to see a half-assed job like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help myth8892 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Bubs

Seems I was pretty lucky this time, as long as that rust issue doesn't come back soon.

I had to deal with a half-assed windshield job myself the winter before last, had a '93 Mazda 323. Windshield was replaced for $225, lousy sealing job and looked horrible to boot. A nice whistling noise occurred at speed.

Oh yeah, look at that crystal clear windshield.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bubs's Reputation
Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Your lucky, mine was done half-assed and i talked to the glass company, even went and showed my car to them, and they said is it leaking??
I said no, but the job looks like a 5 yr old did it, (had another glass company look at it) anyways, i said no, it is not leaking and they said they could not do anything about it than.
The other window company said the windshield was not set straight and it is a cheap piece of glass to boot. The seal above the windshield is good in the middle but on the edges about a foot from each side, it is raised, it basically looks like a job i would have done with no experience what's so ever.
Seems to me:
Knowing (that evidently) a Saturn is difficult to get right, how about doing a trial fit?

Cut slices of Bondo spreaders and use them as temporary shims.

Stack shims to get the glass in EXACTLY the correct location. -So that so trim is flush.

Remove glass and you will see how much urethane goop to use.

As an option, leave shims in place (in a few locations) until goo cures.

Pull out shims and paddle in goo to fill voids.

There should be nosurprises when a windshield is installed in this way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Whether the windshield leaks or not isn't the sole criteria to judge if an installation is acceptable. Believe it or not, the windshield is considered to be part of the structure and needs to be installed properly.

P.S. I like your personalized plates Bubs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
myth8892

i think it might actually be sunny today for the first time in almost a week,
Will post a few pictures of a half-assed job done on mine.
I will more than likely replace the windshield again from this other place i talked to, used them in the past and did a great job.
got a quote for 345.00 from the other place but i will more than likely try and wait a few months, trying to get a few preventive stuff done to car first, replacing some old parts,tune up, coolant flush and so on right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 490.jpg (61.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 479.jpg (119.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 456.jpg (77.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 444.jpg (77.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by myth8892; 09-27-2009 at 08:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

I dont know where you people are going for windshields, it cost me $130.00
including installation for my 97 SW2 at a local auto glass shop in NYC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
myth8892

Just local auto glass shops, got a name of the company you went to?
Is it a nationwide type chain or just local in NYC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
OU812
Advanced Member

1996 SL1

Quote:
Just local auto glass shops, got a name of the company you went to?
Is it a nationwide type chain or just local in NYC
Just local.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Bubs

The guy definitely did a great job on my windshield. At the very front of the dashboard, right where it meets the windshield, I always noticed it shaking and vibrating about. He even fixed that!

OU812: I think it's because you have a second-gen, which does not have the curved windshield that the first gen has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bubs's Reputation
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
OU812
Advanced Member

1996 SL1

OU812: I think it's because you have a second-gen, which does not have the curved windshield that the first gen has.[/QUOTE]

Interesting........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Quote:
i think it might actually be sunny today for the first time in almost a week,
Will post a few pictures of a half-assed job done on mine.
Wow, that's really bad! The place that did that must be a bunch of hacks. No respectable shop would let a job looking like that go out the door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
myth8892

I agree, my mechanic said he used them before and they did a good job on his car, so i put myself in his hands, and as you can see by the pictures they really screwed up that job.
Took it to them friday after i talked to another glass company and got a quote, and the only thing the guy asked me was. Does it leak??
I said no, but it's a shabby arse job and he said, Sorry i can't help you than.
So i am going to deal with it for a few months at most and have the other place do the job for 345.00, best i can do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
Bealson Wheels
Bealson Wheels is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2

I recently had mine replaced, a friend hit it with a golf ball. His car insurance paid for it. They had Safelite Auto Glass come out to my house and fix it. Took about 30 mins, but guy dragged it out for 55 mins. He said "They (Safelite) recently went from commision to hourly based pay. So the incentive to be quick is gone." I didn't care, said to wait 2 hours before driving, because in a rollover the windshield is a part of the cars' structural integrity. It would have been $405 + tax if I had paid for it. I did find a few cheaper companies though. Cheapest was $355 installed including tax. The golf ball hit windshield a week after new inspection. So I still need to get a replacement inspection sticker. I am so glad they did not use the same company as the guy with the bad molding. That looks horrible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bealson Wheels's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bealson Wheels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bealson Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Gotta love those New Hampshire plates eh?
"Live Free Or Die!" LOL

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
myth8892

For anyone that want's to know where i actually got that hack job at.
It's a place called Glass Masters, I know they are in cincinnati ohio and few other states around here as well, don't know for sure but if you need a windshield, Don't get one thru them at least, or you will suffer the hack job i got.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!