SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
llamakc
llamakc is on a distinguished road

Default 98 transmission - after hard running, no restart

I've replaced the ECTS, once by me and again by a mech., the thermostat, a radiator flush, battery, and an alternator & serpentine belt recently.

Symptoms: after some hard running or city driving the check engine light comes on. The car begins having difficulty shifting up. I have had the car refuse to shift from 3rd (I think) up.

I pull over and kill the car. No more start. I have all the accessories turned off, and if I choose to try the lights, radio, etc all operates at power. But turning the key produces a 'click'. One single click only.

If I wait about 30 minutes the car starts.

The temp. gauge doesn't report an overheated condition.

Is there a control module/sensor for the transmission?

I also have the reverse slam, but I have read the fix for that. I should note that when the above problem is manifesting, the reverse slam is noticeably worse.

So overall, when ran hard she won't shift and if stopped and killed won't restart for 30 minutes.

Ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to llamakc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help llamakc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
llamakc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 98 transmission - after hard running, no restart

IMO it is something electrical...I had the same problem when my alternator was going south. I have never had to deal with a tranny with an eletric solenoid before...its was almost like someone was putting it in to neutral while I was driving....It may or may not be your problem...but it is an easy check to see if it needs to be replaced.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
llamakc

Thanks for the suggestion. The alternator was replaced two weeks ago. The problem existed before and after the replacement.

I've been searching threads and I see mention of the MAF sensor (mass air flow) and the fluid pressure solenoid, with the latter being the more expensive fix.

So where is my MAF sensor if I want to try replacing that first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help llamakc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
itsmesillybubba

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I still think it is something electrical........just wait and I am sure on of the more knowledgeable guys or girls will help...I am very limited in my mechanical knowledge

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

First off, get that ses code read. That will probably tell you whats wrong. Take it to an AutoZone or other auto parts store and they will read the codes for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
llamakc

Will do tomorrow & post back.

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
saturnhacker
saturnhacker is on a distinguished road

disconnect the connector on the top of the trans, 7mm bolt and pull off. carefully examine connector on harness side and trans for melting/burning. they are know to burn and from high current draw from trans solenoids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
llamakc

from where does this line/connector come from? I don't have access to a lift. Can I get to this from the top of the engine under the hood?

Thanks for the tip.

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Sound electrical to me too... Check the battery voltage:

Voltage - Approximate Charge
12.7V - %100
12.5V - %75
12.3V - %50
12.1V - %25

If it is severely low, either get a new battery or try topping off the acid level with water (don't overfill - kinda tricky here) and then do a couple full charge cycles on it. I did the latter and now my battery always has 100% charge and starts great. There are six 2V cells that each need to be filled up to a lip. Take a flashlight and some distilled water and pour carefully and slowly. Again, don't overfill otherwise you will have to wait a few days for the water to evaporate. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 PM   #10
llamakc

The battery won't affect the transmission after the machine is running. The battery has power because all of the accessories|lights|windows operate just fine for the 30 minutes that the car will not restart.

To recap, new battery, new alternator, ECTS, thermostat, radiator flush within the last month. Same problem with poor upshifting and dying until it 'cools off'.

The battery isn't the problem b/c the old battery was there with the same symptoms. A new battery didn't change that. Also, the battery doesn't enter the equation after the car is running for 20 minutes.

Battery starts the car fine. Alternator is charging the battery just fine.

Transmission hard-shifts, car won't restart. How can the MAF sensor stop the car from starting? Can it?

I'm getting the codes from the SES read tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know.

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:08 AM   #11
saturnhacker
saturnhacker is on a distinguished road

did you check the battery cables? remove each and look for corrosion/looseness. a weak connection will alow enough current for accessories but not enough for starter, also can cause problems with system voltage, pcm function etc. the fact that car wont crank intermittantly suggests battery cables/battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Or in my case, the cable from the alterantor to the started was rusted...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
llamakc

I had the codes read this morning:

P0733 Gear three ratio incorrect
P0734 Gear four ratio incorrect

I'll check the cables just in case.

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #14
itsmesillybubba

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Maybe the EGR?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #15
llamakc

I found this post with same symptoms but there wasn't resolution.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...atio+incorrect

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #16
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Run some long leads to the battery with a good digital meter. Keep checking the voltage. My bet is that it isn't charging correctly.

Do you have any other electrical drains on the system? Major sound system, 42" plasma?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #17
ud503j
ud503j is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2

I know this sounds dumb but here goes: have you checked the cleanliness and/or level of the transmission fluid? Any leaks, bad seals, etc.? Only reason I ask is because it seems a lot of transmission problems with Saturns are low/bad fluid. Just my 2 cents.

1997 SW2 --> 'Vi'
g/f's 2002 SL2 --> 'Raven'

R4V3n SP33D's boytoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ud503j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ud503j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ud503j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #18
llamakc

Yeah the fluid looks good and is at level.

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #19
llamakc

After more research here's a better explanation:

When the car is driven hard or in traffic, the tranny goes into failsafe and sticks in second. When the car is turned off it doesn't restart until 30 minutes after.

98 auto. SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:27 PM   #20
between5and7
between5and7 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
1995 SL2
Dizzy Re: 98 transmission - after hard running, no restart

Valve body??
I had a similar problem I let it go too long and the trany went to sh@#. I hope this is not your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to between5and7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help between5and7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
between5and7 is offline   Reply With Quote