SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 01:46 PM   #1
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Hard Starting

Forgive me friends, it's not the Saturn. It's my wife's car: an Olds Intrigue. I just had a plugged injector replaced. Car now runs fine, idles fine, accelerates fine.

But it doesn't like to start. It turns over normally, catches quickly, revs up to 1200-1300 rpms, the drops down towards the normal 700-800 rpms, but keeps dropping till it dies. If I tap the gas, it revs higher, then drops down towards normal, stumbles a little, then recovers and settles down to idle perfectly.

A fuel injected car should need no gas pedal action at startup. So what's wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2
Attention

Because of the clogged injectors there may be a problem with the fuel filter also. The other issue is that the PCM needs to be reset becayse the BLM's have been learning how to control the car with a bad injector and not it's working again causing a weird condition with the PCM. Either remove the negative battery cable for 20 minutes or have the PCM BLM's reset at the dealer.

-Adam Chant
2007 Saturn SKY - Supercharged
1997 Saturn SC2 - Stock Rebuild

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
manualman

1995 SL

Fuel filter is practically new: 8,000 miles on it. Mechanic did pull the battery cable to reset the PCM (lost all radio presets, anyway).

I just got off the phone with him. He said he found a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pressure regular. Essentially it allowed the engine to flood after the engine was turned off.

That's over my head, how's it sound to you guys?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:46 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

My thinking is that the rupturing reg diapragm would be more likely to cause flooding or excess fuel when the engine is running.
On the idle try cleaning the Idle Air Control valve and throttle body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2002, 11:05 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Your mechanic's find is probably the problem but his explaination is incorrect. The faulty FPR is allowing the fuel system to depressurize and partially fill with air when the engine/fuel pump are shut down...this would make for harder starting and a brief period of rough idle until the systems fully pressurizes and purges itself of air.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2002, 09:22 AM   #6
manualman

1995 SL

Thanks guys.

Guess it's just my bad luck to get a plugged injector, then this all within a week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread