SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Scrimbus
Scrimbus is on a distinguished road

Default How 2 difficult/exp are sl2 auto trans to deal with? Is this car worth it?

Basically I am poor semidisabled loser who going out of his mind trying to regain freedom

I have saved 1k+ over around 4mon though it should have been more, I digress. I found this sweet sl2 around an hour away. It looks great but they claim the autotrans light is on, it looks great otherwise

I will link the post. I will have to mess with the car, though I woul have to self teach, also have a retired gpa who is a retired but exp mechanic with a shop that could help with bigger stuff

Do you think this is even worth my time? I know buying a straight new auto trans is pricey but maybe its not so severe?

What do you think? Thanks for any help

Edit - it wouldnt let me post the link so i had to edit it, its legit not spam goes straight to CL, please dont smite me mods I reallly just need some help/advice
Edit - just recreated the post and removed frankenlink

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scrimbus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scrimbus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scrimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Scrimbus

Default Re: How 2 difficult/exp are sl2 auto trans to deal with? Is this car worth it?

Im gonna just recreate most of the post here to make it better and easier

I am selling a 1997 Saturn SL2 with 168,000 original miles. The car runs and drives. There is a problem with the transmission which is why the check engine light is on. Everything else works on the vehicle.

Serious Inquiries Only

Clean Title in Hand

asking 600
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00n0n_6LHyw7RjG99_600x450.jpg (59.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 00V0V_3VZJZg1oyML_600x450.jpg (49.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 00202_2ZR8herxpkO_600x450.jpg (49.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 00F0F_j7ObSj4oM6Q_600x450.jpg (63.8 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scrimbus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: How 2 difficult/exp are sl2 auto trans to deal with? Is this car worth it?

The car is an SL1 not SL2. Auto transmission problems can be expensive.

You should try to find out from them what the trans is doing/not doing.

Never mind any other issues that can come with a high mileage 21 year old car.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If you can find out the code, post it here.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Scrimbus

Alright, thanks for responding. I texted him and he says he knows its the trans bc of the code but he doesnt know which exact one off his head, but it just shifts hard.

I woul realistically only expect this car to last me aybe 2 year max at which point id bettter credit and money, well, that would be the goal anyways

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
dssl1
dssl1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Thumbs Down Re: How 2 difficult/exp are sl2 auto trans to deal with? Is this car worth it?

Don't even bother responding to this guy. Don't feed the trolls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dssl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dssl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dssl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

What city is this car listed in? I would like to peek at the actual CL info.

My gut-feeling is this is going to be a bit of a "project car", and not a good match with your situation.

I especially caution you since it is an hour away. Once you travel that far, you may be tempted to over-look too many problems that show up, because you don't want to pass on it and "waste" the trip

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimbus View Post
Alright, thanks for responding. I texted him and he says he knows its the trans bc of the code but he doesnt know which exact one off his head, but it just shifts hard.

I woul realistically only expect this car to last me aybe 2 year max at which point id bettter credit and money, well, that would be the goal anyways
This is a car you do not want at the $600 price. Unless you are knowledgeable about Saturn auto transmissions this will be an expensive car to own. That harsh shifting has knocked the shaft nuts loose and the internal wear is now excessive and it is likely beyond economic repair even for someone who knows what they are doing.

Keep looking a good one will show up. Put your state and city into your profile, it will help answering your questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...52#post2285352

OP is in Nashville, North Carolina, zip 27856

OP, you may want to go back to that thread - several posts might be new since you last looked at it

Another option not mentioned, someone used to periodically list copart auctions for that area. He picked up an auto trans SW2 for $150.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231012

One more recommendation - buy an OBDII Bluetooth reader (~ $12) that works with your phone and the free Torque or similar app, or buy a standard reader that can read live data ($50 +)

When you look at cars, then you can see what the code is right there on the spot. We've had a few, "I didn't see any check engine lights because the seller put a piece of black tape over it (or pulled out the bulbs)" stories.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

I would pass on this car, since the seller is claiming the "Service Engine Soon" light is on, but hasn't stated WHAT the specific issue is with the transmission.

Given the mileage, and the typical issues with the TAAT, I am going to agree with Nuc on the input shaft nut being loose and I suspect the DTC is a P0732 code.

P0732 is "No Second Gear". Second gear has the same clutch pack as reverse, so reverse is likely gone.

The repairs are extensive, on the input shaft nut, and you have to keep the clutch packs from moving, when you torque the nut down.

I would keep your eyes open, for another cheap Saturn S-Series, that is not as likely to need quite the repairs this one may need, since you are claiming to be semi-disabled.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

NEVER buy an automatic transmission car unless you can drive it and perform several smooth shifting tests.

These tests are to be preformed from a cold start with no warm-up and after the engine transmission reaches normal operating condition. The test consists of backing out of a drive and then selecting drive and leaving it in drive. Accelerate from a complete stop using no more than 25% throttle to 30-40 mph and holding this speed for a minute or so and then take your foot off the gas and do not hit the brake, let the car roll almost to a stop. You should not experience any delay selecting reverse or any slam and you should not feel any of the upshifts or markedly notice the down shifts and the tach should not show any flair on upshifts. You will hear the shifting but you should not fell them. Repeat this test using 50% throttle. Then go for a 10 minute warm-up drive and repeat both the 25% and 50% test again. If it passes the trans is likely good and not worn out. A properly operating transmission is amazingly smooth shifting. Any results less than this are indicative of a worn valve body or thatnsmission clutch packs as a minimum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote