SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
sw201444
sw201444 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Popping Sound!!

have a popping noise when turning.. sounds to be the drivers side that the sound is coming from. I checked my CV joints last weekend, no holes... THere was a post that It could be the security bolts on the Column. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what the problem is..?

Also... noise happens more when it's colder, when it's warmer it is rarer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sw201444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sw201444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sw201444 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
sw201444

1996 SL1
Default Re: Popping Sound!!

Also, 96 sl1.

Single cam and happy that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sw201444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Just a single "pop" when you turn? Or is it repetetive? ...cycling with the wheel turning?

Lots of moving parts in the steering/suspension that can make noise. Thats why a little more detail would help.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
sw201444

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Just a single "pop" when you turn? Or is it repetetive? ...cycling with the wheel turning?

Lots of moving parts in the steering/suspension that can make noise. Thats why a little more detail would help.
Sorry! First time posting. : It's when I'm turning the steering wheel left or right.. more common going left than right. not when going straight. SOMETIMES it happens when going over a speed bump..

EDIT: noise is also a "POP"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

My buddy just had this issue it turned out to be a bad strut....

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Is the noise inside or can you hear it outside? If outside is it under the hood or from the wheel well?

Are all your bushings in good shape? Tie rod ends and ball joints sealed and not leaking or dried out?

Most likely would be strut mount bearing if it only happens when turning. Put it on jack stands and turn the wheel while listening for noise at the strut mounts. Also listen for noise at the spring seats as well. Less likely but possible, is the front sway bar bushings but that should also be present when braking or accelerating as the weight shifts fore and aft.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Popping Sound!!

My "out of the box" suggestion would be to check the rubber bushings where the sway bar ends pass through the lower control arms, as Jim97sl2 suggested.
My car has had issues with them in the past and in fact they are getting a bit ragged-looking at the present time (soon to be replaced).
If bad enough they will definitely cause popping noises even when transitioning from reverse to forward in a parking lot at walking speeds.
They did that on my car anyway.

Also check to see if your sway bar front bushings (where it passes against the front of the sub frame) are worn.
Look for any evidence at all that the sway bar is contacting the sides of the sub frame where it passes really close at the corners.
Look for rub marks on either one.
If you find them, start looking for culprits.

Suggestions from others such as struts, strut mounts, and so forth are also good things to check for of course.

There is a remote possibility that the lower end shaft bearing on the steering column has loosened up.
That also happened on my car.
It is pathetic, wimpy thing that only belongs on Tonka toys.
Mostly you'll hear that as a clunk or rattle when turning a corner if you hit a bump or rut in the road.
I posted a permanent fix for it a while back (with photos ).
The fix has held up for years now.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

This may be a total shot in the dark but were the struts / springs on the front changed recently?

If so, the rubber "seat" between the strut mount and the the top of the strut may be on improperly which can cause rubbing and this can make a popping noise.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
sw201444

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim97sl2 View Post
Is the noise inside or can you hear it outside? If outside is it under the hood or from the wheel well?

Are all your bushings in good shape? Tie rod ends and ball joints sealed and not leaking or dried out?

Most likely would be strut mount bearing if it only happens when turning. Put it on jack stands and turn the wheel while listening for noise at the strut mounts. Also listen for noise at the spring seats as well. Less likely but possible, is the front sway bar bushings but that should also be present when braking or accelerating as the weight shifts fore and aft.

Jim
I would have to look when it's lifted again. But I notice it when going over large bumps and/or potholes, also very very rarely when accelerating.

'96 SL1
INSTAGRAM: sw201444

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
sw201444

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
My "out of the box" suggestion would be to check the rubber bushings where the sway bar ends pass through the lower control arms, as Jim97sl2 suggested.
My car has had issues with them in the past and in fact they are getting a bit ragged-looking at the present time (soon to be replaced).
If bad enough they will definitely cause popping noises even when transitioning from reverse to forward in a parking lot at walking speeds.
They did that on my car anyway.

Also check to see if your sway bar front bushings (where it passes against the front of the sub frame) are worn.
Look for any evidence at all that the sway bar is contacting the sides of the sub frame where it passes really close at the corners.
Look for rub marks on either one.
If you find them, start looking for culprits.

Suggestions from others such as struts, strut mounts, and so forth are also good things to check for of course.

There is a remote possibility that the lower end shaft bearing on the steering column has loosened up.
That also happened on my car.
It is pathetic, wimpy thing that only belongs on Tonka toys.
Mostly you'll hear that as a clunk or rattle when turning a corner if you hit a bump or rut in the road.
I posted a permanent fix for it a while back (with photos ).
The fix has held up for years now.

If you can post a pic reply with the part I can tell you if it's rotted or not.. I did notice some dry rot.

'96 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
sw201444

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub View Post
This may be a total shot in the dark but were the struts / springs on the front changed recently?

If so, the rubber "seat" between the strut mount and the the top of the strut may be on improperly which can cause rubbing and this can make a popping noise.

Nope, but I will be getting 2" lowering springs (main reason I wanted to solve this)

'96 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

If you can't find any noise in the items listed above, you may also want to check for exhaust clearance and the condition of the isolators as well as for any bent hangers. Exhaust to chassis clearance issues are usually accompanied by a thump and depending on location, you can sometimes feel it in the floor board.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
sw201444

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim97sl2 View Post
If you can't find any noise in the items listed above, you may also want to check for exhaust clearance and the condition of the isolators as well as for any bent hangers. Exhaust to chassis clearance issues are usually accompanied by a thump and depending on location, you can sometimes feel it in the floor board.

Jim
My exhaust mount broke.. waiting to get it replaced..(held up with metal wire, like a coat hanger) but I'm almost positive that's not what this issue is..

'96 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!