SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
CSpike23
CSpike23 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Long time lurker, first time poster

Hello all.
As the title says, long time lurker here. First time poster.

A little background on myself:
I'm a mechanical engineer with over a decade of military service in aircraft maintenance and operations.
Currently designing custom gensets for Caterpillar (used to work in their marine dept) as well as some work for Cummins and in the rail industry in addition to my tinkering/fabrication at home.
I've been turning a wrench my whole life and my friends call me the "jalopy jedi" because I've managed to jerry-rig (or engineer as I prefer...lol) enough things when stuff breaks down over the years and manage to get myself or others home safely.
I run a part time auto shop out of my back yard and garage. I couldn't do it for a living, because I normally only ask for pizza and beer for payment...lol

I've got a 99 SL2 5Spd that I picked up for $500.00 with 196k on it april of 2013. Just cracked 263k this week and will tentatively hit 300k by the end of the year.
Put a new starter, water pump and fan motor on the first night I got it then new brake pads a couple days later right before driving it 500+ miles for military duty on bald tires.
managed right around 46mpg (also barely ever went over 65mph for the whole trip which helps)

2 weeks later, I put new tie rods and tires on it and haven't seen 40mpg since

I'm a GM enthusiast, primarily a camaro/corvette guy (I'm also a moderator on a couple other auto forums - Camaro5.com and Corvette7.com - S/N CamaroSpike23).

Also have an 06 silverado 2500HD, a 78 camaro (my first car...lol), and an 03 Jeep Liberty in my driveway atm.
Previous cars have been 86, 94, 95, 96, 98 camaros (see a trend yet...lol), 98 F150, 02 Volvo V70, 09 Jetta, and a dozen other cars that I've lost to the years.

as far as my SL2 goes, mostly stock besides new coils and plugs and a semi-custom CAI. will be changing the timing set out this weekend as well as some other little stuff that I've been putting off.

Future mods include the 5th gear swap (Shawn... you still selling those? ) in a few months as I'm driving 70 miles one way for work atm and even tho I'm still getting ~32mpg @ 80mph, I know I can get better cus gas prices won't stay low forever.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and give you some info about myself.

Spike.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CSpike23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CSpike23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Long time lurker, first time poster

Welcome Mr. Engineer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
CSpike23
CSpike23 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Long time lurker, first time poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
Welcome Mr. Engineer.
thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CSpike23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CSpike23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote