SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Wrench Loose clutch pedal? Pushrod falling out? READ THIS BEFORE YOU REPLACE THE PEDAL

So as a lot of us know, the clutch pedal is made of plastic. The clutch master cylinder pushrod eventually wears through the "cup" in the pedal, giving you a pedal that feels loose as hell until halfway down, and with the slip point at the floor. Let it go long enough, and it chews up the ball on the end of the pushrod, which will then punch through the pedal. At THAT point, you need a new pedal (and pushrod).

If you catch it early enough, all you need to do is replace the little plastic cup insert. It's GM part number 22697429, [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y93JA2/]I paid $12.99 for mine on Amazon via a third party seller.[/url]

Look up under the dash. There's a white plastic cap on the clutch pedal. Pop that off (you may need to depress the clutch slightly to remove it fully). You may or may not have a bunch of plastic bits fall out with it. Pull the pedal far enough forward to pop the pushrod out (you'll have to reach up and pull the pushrod down). Now use a pen or paperclip to shove the remains of the old cup/bushing out through the little hole visible when you removed that white cover.

Put the bushing on your pinky finger. Proceed to drop it plenty of times and swear. Finally get it popped in. Get the "winged" parts left and right, not up and down (that plastic cap you removed? it presses down on those to keep the pushrod from popping out). Pop the pushrod back into place, depress the pedal until you feel a little resistance, put the plastic cap back on (it'll be a bit more difficult to push back on; if you can't get it on, make sure the pushrod is all the way in and you're holding pressure on the pedal).

You're done in 10-15 minutes, not the 3+ hours it takes to replace the pedal assembly. Pat yourself on the back.

The cap you remove:

The new part:

Installed, but not straight yet (you can use a small flathead screwdriver to turn it with light pressure on the pedal with the pushrod reinstalled - without the pushrod there you'll just pop it back out) - you want the slot up and down:

Last edited by awfulbeans; 04-23-2018 at 04:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awfulbeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
mechjag
mechjag is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Loose clutch pedal? Pushrod falling out? READ THIS BEFORE YOU REPLACE THE PEDAL

Thank you SO MUCH for this. my cup fell apart and resulted in a tow home. I've been scouring junkyards to just get the cup.

There is so little info about that stupid cup. the factory service manual dosen't cover it.

I've already ordered my new one from your amazon link.

Thank you so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mechjag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mechjag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mechjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Loose clutch pedal? Pushrod falling out? READ THIS BEFORE YOU REPLACE THE PEDAL

The first time this happened, I wound up replacing the pedal assembly. Pulling it from the junkyard car wasn't that bad, as someone had already pulled the column before I got there. Installing it... was a serious pain in the - I kept trying to follow all the suggestions online that said you could do it without dropping the column. I finally yanked the column in frustration, and oh crap, 15 minutes later the pedal assembly was swapped (and by sheer luck, I got the column lined back up, despite not marking it). Only for the cup to break again a few months later (which I then ghetto rigged using one of my gauges, lasted until the car got hit a couple of months ago).

That's exactly why I posted this. It's a 15 minute job (20 if you have shaky hands) to swap that little cup. Most of that time is spent contorting yourself to get your head under the dash.

It's not covered in the FSM, as it wasn't available when the cars were built. I have no idea when the part was released, but GM obviously recognized it as an issue. AFAIK, that part is only for Ions. Cobalts, G5s, and HHRs use a similar pedal design (as they're cousins of the Ion anyway), but it's not as much of an issue on those for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awfulbeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote