SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
qigongdoctor
qigongdoctor is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue AWD Brake lights don't work

A nice deputy told me my brake lights weren't working. The third (top) light works but neither of the L or R comes on. I removed the bulbs, and the dual filaments both look good. The fuze in the battery area is good. Is there another fuze somewhere? None of the passenger area fuzes are labeled 'brake lights' so......what am I missing??? Hellllp !

Drdavesmith at gmail......if you have an answer or suggestion.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qigongdoctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qigongdoctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qigongdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 Vue AWD Brake lights don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by qigongdoctor View Post
A nice deputy told me my brake lights weren't working. The third (top) light works but neither of the L or R comes on. I removed the bulbs, and the dual filaments both look good. The fuze in the battery area is good. Is there another fuze somewhere? None of the passenger area fuzes are labeled 'brake lights' so......what am I missing??? Hellllp !

Drdavesmith at gmail......if you have an answer or suggestion.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!
I'm assuming left/right parking lamps operate OK - if yes - this probably indicates fixture ground path wiring is good.

I think I'd also use a meter - test light - or replacement bulb to eliminate the simple items before blaming vehicle wiring.

I've attached diagram for brake lights and another to help you locate S304 - which is splice point for brake light wiring.

The diagram indicates one BRAKE light 15A fuse and one STOP LAMP switch activated by brake pedal. If you follow L-Blue wire from brake switch - its routed to connector C200 and exits as L-Grn wire.

The L-Grn wire is routed to S304 splice point - and for 3.5 Vue (L66) - there'll also be four L-Blu wires connected to S304.

You'll note L-Blu wires are split: (1) one wire to powertrain control module to cancel cruise control when brakes are applied, (2) one wire to CHMSL, (3) one wire to left rear brake lamp, and (4) one wire to right rear brake lamp.

You know the CHMSL is active with brakes applied so the fuse, brake switch and wiring through C200 are all good. To me - this indicates a probable problem with left and right brake light wiring at S304 splice point.

According to second diagram - S304 (index 7) is under carpet on left side of drivers seat. The combination carpet retainer and left side close-out panel cover is attached with snap-fasteners and can be easily removed with flat-blade screwdriver or putty knife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 Vue - Stop Lights.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 05 Vue - Stop Light S304.jpg (90.4 KB, 11 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-23-2014 at 05:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
qigongdoctor
qigongdoctor is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestions.... will try to figure it all out.... I saw in one post that just replacing the bulbs fixed the problem... is it possible that the bulbs are bad - even if they look good?
Really perplexed on this one. I'm pretty sure the switch is good, because the center light comes on when the pedal is pushed... just the two L and R don't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qigongdoctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qigongdoctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qigongdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qigongdoctor View Post
Thanks so much for the reply and suggestions.... will try to figure it all out.... I saw in one post that just replacing the bulbs fixed the problem... is it possible that the bulbs are bad - even if they look good?
Really perplexed on this one. I'm pretty sure the switch is good, because the center light comes on when the pedal is pushed... just the two L and R don't.

Far2grumpy provided excellent advice (as always....).

Try your turn signals - do the brake light work for the turn signals?

Yes - both bulbs could be bad. I would buy two new QUALITY bulbs, change them and look inside the socket to see if there is any corrosion inside. If so, clean the sockets and use some dielectric grease on the bulb's base when you install them.

I learned years ago to always check the simple things first - often the fix is easy.

Good luck - let us know what you determine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote