SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
banditkaine
banditkaine is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default new subs and amps, need advice.

ok so i bought two 800 watts pioneer premier Subwoofers and a 1000 watt pioneer amp from a friend. i have a pioneer premier head unit aswell.

do i need anything "extra" or "special" to set these up, im gonna be using the stock speakers until i can get some kenwoods or pioneers.

i've never had any experience with subs, or amps, so any tips and help is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banditkaine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banditkaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banditkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: new subs and amps, need advice.

Get an amp installation kit from a car stereo place, it should come with the RCAs, a 4 gauge or larger power and ground wire, a remote wire, and a 60 or 8 amp inline fuse. Find a good ground on your trunk pan. Run the power and remote wires on one side of the car, and the RCAs on the other to help eliminate interference. Figure out what ohm load your amp can handle, and wire your subs up to get the lowest ohms your amp can handle.

Don't worry about the stock speakers for your sub setup, but the stock speakers are now the weak part of your system. New speakers with an amp to power them will do you good. I like the Pioneer stuff, but their component speakers I don't like, go with Rockford Fosgates or Clarions or something.

www.12volt.com is a great resource for car audio

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
banditkaine

2002 SL2

i took everything from my friend including the cables and such, not sure etxactly if its what you mentioned but i took everything connected to the amps, subs and head unit. i will post back once i go pick it up today at his house. thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help banditkaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Khellendrose
Khellendrose is on a distinguished road

You will probably need a 1 ferad Capacitor also, to help take the hit off the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Khellendrose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Khellendrose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Khellendrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
bud6770
bud6770 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

You should be able to hook it up by yourself, its pretty easy. If you have any friends with experience that would be best though, just dont waist your money having a shop install it. Couple key things though, make sure when your ground wire is touching metal, you might have to strip away a little paint. Also make sure you car is completely off, so you dont pop fuses. And before you test them out turn the gain down a little on the amp, then turn it to your desired level after you test them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bud6770's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bud6770 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bud6770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
banditkaine

2002 SL2

ok im stuck.. he didnt have his speakers wired to the amp, its a 2 channel amp i believe, he just had the two subs one at each channel. can i wire all 4 speakers and the 2 subs?

also i plugged the amp to the BASS output on my radio, so i guess id have to plug it to the FRONT output in order for the speakers to work aswell?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
bud6770
bud6770 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

You could hook up your speakers as well but it will blow them, the amp is only for your subs. If you want to amp your speakers you'll have to get another amp. Keep the amp hooked up to the sub output on your deck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bud6770's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bud6770 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bud6770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Donnie
Donnie is on a distinguished road

Pick up a four channel amp for your Speakers. As for the ground, don't just strip the paint away a little. Sand it down to BARE METAL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Donnie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Donnie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
banditkaine

2002 SL2

yea i figured i needed another amp for the speakers or a 4 channel one. thanks. double subs are so freaking loud =0 the whole car rattles lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
homiemitchell
homiemitchell is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

ok so i have 4 Boss 6 1/2" 3-Way Speaker With Poly-Injection Cone
Power handling peak, 350-watt
Magnet structure 40 oz., impedance 4-ohm
Frequency response 65Hz-20kHz; SPL 1-watt/1-meter 90dB
Voice coil 1" aluminum; tweeter 1/2" piezo; midrange 1" polyimide dome
Rubber surrounds for top performance
Custom tooled
how big of an amp will i need to power these so they will sound good.
i found a stereo that isnt bad it is a BOSS - 80W x 4 In-Dash DVD Deck with MP3 Playback will that power them just find or will i need an amp still?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homiemitchell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homiemitchell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homiemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
simkid5614
Advanced Member
simkid5614 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

First Welcome to Saturnfans.
Second.. This was an old thread....
Third, Yes you will need a sub to get proper power out of the speakers.
and You can do a 400W amp at 4ohm. to achieve what you want out of the sub.

2002 SL2 115k "Whisper" No leaks!! :) 115 and going strong..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simkid5614's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simkid5614 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simkid5614 is offline   Reply With Quote