SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Jetsa
Jetsa is on a distinguished road

Default Noob Here to Saturn but not to GM-L3000 Question/Help Needed

I bought a 2000 L3000 SW2 wagon with the 3.0 V6 engine. Looks great and in excellent shape, especially for a 2000. Only has 98000 miles. The problem(s) are that it will not accelerate, cannot get over around 2000ish RPM's. Runs really rough, backfires, misfires on various cylinders when attempting to accelerate (per my Tech 2 scanner). It had a couple various codes when I got it (around 2 weeks ago), but I cleared them and no codes have come back. I saw cylinder 3 misfiring regularly so I pulled that coil/ignition module off for inspection of cylinder 3. This was no easy task and some things I found out were that someone else had removed some of the upper engine before me (probably looking for the same problem)...several of the small inverted torx bolts were stripped or missing. The first thing I found was that it had those Bosch 3-electrode plugs in it. They did not look like it was running rich or lean but I replaced them with the factory AC Delco's....made no difference. I ran a compression test on the 1,3,5 bank and all had approx. 190ish PSI so thats okay. What I think I am seeing is a lean condition. I have been in GM dealership service departments since 1982, but never Saturn which, to me, is a whole nother ballgame. The llamba readings from the front 2 O2 sensors seem to go over 2000 often and the rear O2's settle around the 200MV or less area consistently. I have tried another MAF sensor and that made no difference. Fuel pressure running is always about 43PSI. It idles just fine, just cant accelerate. I notice the tachometer jumps around a lot while it is not running right/straining to get RPM's (makes me think ignition-type problem but it doesn't feel like ignition...feels like starving for fuel). I would think that if it were a vacuum leak issue, the idle would be high and for it to run as bad as it does when trying to accelerate, it would have to have a massive vacuum leak (dont think it does). Wondering what a timing belt that was not correct would run like? I'm not condemming the timing belt because I don't know what one would run like if the belt had jumped teeth or something similiar.

Hoping some of you Saturn tech's might have seen this before and can lead me in the right direction. I see lots of threads here describing similar complaints but I thought I would add what my GM experience tells me to this thread. Any help would certainly be appreciated and if you have any issues with ANY other GM vehicles, just ask and I have probably had experience with it and can help or can find out for sure.

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I read about Saturn's "Limp Home" modes and while one of them sounds like the car might be in limp home mode, the Tech 2 tells me that all the limp home readings are in the right state. Also, I have not seen a Reduced Engine Power message.

EDIT X 2: I have also read all the bulletins related with this and have pretty much ruled out any of those being related with my issue. Of course, some of you guys that work on them every day might know different. That's kind of what I am looking for here, daily experience with the 3.0. We specialize at my dealership and I am with performance, electrical, and AC (Just not Saturn performance LOL).

Last edited by Jetsa; 12-28-2010 at 02:07 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jetsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jetsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jetsa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links