SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Changing Color of Late-Model S-Series Stock Gauge Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
To me, red would be distracting. We're sorta conditioned to be distracted by red. Stop lights, stop signs, all the dash lights that indicate _failure_ are red. I wouldn't want anything in my field of view glowing red that didn't say "hey, pay attention to me".

Who knows, there may be something psychological at work here, something about how we perceive color. Maybe it's because (or _why_) blood is red. Any psych (or art) majors here?....
Don't most Pontiac instrument panels have red lighting?

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #22
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Changing Color of Late-Model S-Series Stock Gauge Cluster

I rented a Pontiac years ago, and IIRC, the lighting was kinda orange-ish-red. And in retrospect, it was a bit jarring to look at.

Years (okay, decades) ago, I knew a guy who installed a red margarine tub as his dome light "lens". He thought it looked cool. To me, it shouted "bordello". (And no, it wasn't a van with shag carpeting up the walls.)

'Course, we all perceive color a bit differently. One man's garish is another man's smoove. I'd say if you go with anything other than white, you probably won't know what you like 'til you try it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
rtsmithiv
rtsmithiv is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Let me tell you, this is not for the faint of heart!
I ain't gonna lie to you, if you don't know how to solder or don't really feel comfortable with taking anything apart and KNOWING that you can put it back together, leave it alone!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Blue 1998 Saturn SL2: 5-Speed
My Next Project:
→Getting the car back up to standard!
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rtsmithiv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rtsmithiv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rtsmithiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #24
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Eerily similar to my old blog post here. (Not that this is a bad thing.)

I've since discovered that Superbright LED's sell the correct type of LED replacement that doesn't require any soldering. The cross reference page given (from Sylvania) on Superbright's page lists the wrong bulb type for the Saturn S series...

The correct bulbs for the instrument cluster are their #74 bulbs, found here. I eventually ordered some for mine and they're simple drop-in replacements - though you have to be sure to get them the right way 'round with the positive and negative terminals, or else they won't light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #25
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

Those #74 bulbs, while correct in terms of fitment, have only a single LED and therefore may result in a "blotchy" appearance of the cluster illumination -- that's why I went through the rigamaroll of soldering the 5-LEDs.

Have you tried the 74's? Was the result decent? It's worth a shot since you can easily pop them in and out (temporary). Thanks!

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #26
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

I tried #74s and had them replaced with 5-led bulbs a week later. the one-led bulbs simply sucked. the 5 led ones are the way to go! i didn't solder anything, just wired them all independently and hooked them up to the headlight switch. so the dimmer don't work, oh well

the red ones look awesome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #27
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I dunno if there's a big difference between the years of our cars, but I installed all drop-in #74's in mine. All are blue, and the result is quite bright enough and not "splotchy" at all. The only nitpick is that the pure blue light doesn't illuminate the red areas of the cluster - redline on the tach, and the E mark on the fuel gauge.

Picture, from my crapola phone camera.

I replaced all of the illumination bulbs in the cluster, leaving the indicator bulbs alone. I think there were five or six, plus two that shine down on the front of the cluster from the top. The results are quite satisfactory in my opinion, and with the dimmer all the way up the dash is quite bright enough to get the point across. I usually run it at half brightness or minimum when out on back country roads.

Next: LED-ifying the bulbs in the climate control cluster! There is one for every icon and tick mark in the entire pigging thing and they're all soldered directly to the board inside. I'm thinking chains of 4 or 5 blue 360 degree LED's in series with a current limiting resistor on each chain, a bunch of wire, and some dexterity...

Or maybe just blue nail polish.

I hear the gear selector lamp in the automatics is another #74 bulb, but I haven't cracked my center console open to have a look yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
anarsil53117
anarsil53117 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Is it permanent once you solder it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anarsil53117's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anarsil53117 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anarsil53117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #29
banditkaine
banditkaine is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarsil53117 View Post
Is it permanent once you solder it?
no its only soldered to the bulb BASE, not the cluster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banditkaine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banditkaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banditkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #30
JPearce1
JPearce1 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

i was just actually think about this the other day. The factory lights are that yellow-white color, and it has gotten old fast. I want something that spruces up my interior and the blue lights behind it would match perfectly with my other blue lights in the car. I just feel a little hesitant on ripping all that apart to install those. Although i know i can remember how it all goes together and I will be ever so careful putting it back together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPearce1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPearce1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPearce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #31
sl1starter
sl1starter is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

As far as light is concerned, red or green (the armed forces use it) would be your best option for night driving. I wouldn't really recommend blue though or white (which for leds is really just a blue led with a phosphor coating to make it white). Blue and white tend to destroy night vision while red and green tend to maintain it. And just for your information, the human eye is most sensitive to the color green, however blue transmits the best in the atmosphere on this planet (which is why the sky is blue).
Also note that blue light will make anything red show up as black. In red light, anything red will disappear (this is why it's difficult to read maps with red light). Your best option is pretty much going to be green. However, it's really your decision and what you like.
I just happen to be an art major with plenty of color theory knowledge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl1starter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl1starter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl1starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #32
Dubs Films
Dubs Films is on a distinguished road

i wish I could do this type of stuff to my car lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dubs Films's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dubs Films reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dubs Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #33
Blackm44
Blackm44 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

would it be the same thing with a 99 SC1 =... im pretty sure that the dash is different, but is that the only thing different?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blackm44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blackm44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blackm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #34
scottysxc
scottysxc is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
To me, red would be distracting. We're sorta conditioned to be distracted by red. Stop lights, stop signs, all the dash lights that indicate _failure_ are red. I wouldn't want anything in my field of view glowing red that didn't say "hey, pay attention to me".

Who knows, there may be something psychological at work here, something about how we perceive color. Maybe it's because (or _why_) blood is red. Any psych (or art) majors here?....
red is used in a lot of cars for the same reason that it is used in photographic dark rooms. red has the strange quality of a. not messing with silver compounds in film, and b. it does not dilate your pupils NEARLY as much as say green or blue or god forbid white.
That is the purpose, but it really is up to personal preference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottysxc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottysxc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottysxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #35
Meowth
Meowth is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_DgZ View Post
The correct bulbs for the instrument cluster are their #74 bulbs, found here. I eventually ordered some for mine and they're simple drop-in replacements - though you have to be sure to get them the right way 'round with the positive and negative terminals, or else they won't light.
Would I be better off ordering the Standard 5mm LED or the High Power SMD LED?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Meowth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Meowth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #36
jpriSC2
jpriSC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

are there any bulbs that you can get that are basically plug-and-play. So you can just pop them in and they'll work without soldering or anything like that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpriSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpriSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpriSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #37
keithreed
keithreed is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for the instructions with pictures. I understood it very well because of the pics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #38
skinnygmg
skinnygmg is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpriSC2 View Post
are there any bulbs that you can get that are basically plug-and-play. So you can just pop them in and they'll work without soldering or anything like that?
order b8.5d bulbs from superbrightleds.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skinnygmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skinnygmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skinnygmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #39
foreverfalcon40
foreverfalcon40 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I have a 2000 and all the bulbs are out. I have the smaller twist lock in which this review the bulbs have to modified to fit as in trimming and soldering.

BUT you guys mentioned that #74 and b8.5d bulbs will work with out soldering. In the pics on SBLEDS.com bulbs look different. Which ones will work?

Have to order 6...2 Up Top and the 4 Across?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foreverfalcon40's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foreverfalcon40 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foreverfalcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #40
magsSC2
magsSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

In the photo for step 6, there is what looks like a tiny battery sticking out. What is that called and what does it do? I broke it off attempting this kind of project and now half my dash doesn't light up. (Oops!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magsSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magsSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magsSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote