SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
ajg93
Junior Member
ajg93 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Default Extended Warranty

Anyone buying an extended warranty for the Outlook? Are you concerned about this being the first model year?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajg93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajg93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Gwenzilla
Member
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road
 
Gwenzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calif
Posts: 104

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Extended Warranty

I am/was considering it, with the maintenance provision it is attractive ...however I usually put up 100,000 miles in four years on a vehicle, which would kill off the extended warranty at that point. So at roughly $2700 here for the maint/extended warranty that in actuality would only be adding 1 yr of coverage.... I have to juggle if it is worth it, and I am leaning away from it right at this time.

...
Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road
 
ThePlainsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 536
 
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenzilla View Post
I am/was considering it, with the maintenance provision it is attractive ...however I usually put up 100,000 miles in four years on a vehicle, which would kill off the extended warranty at that point. So at roughly $2700 here for the maint/extended warranty that in actuality would only be adding 1 yr of coverage.... I have to juggle if it is worth it, and I am leaning away from it right at this time.
I didn't buy it. No way. I'm 53 years old and have never put up 100,000 miles on a vehicle. I view extended warranties as a scam unless you're buying a brand with an awful track record for quality. And I wouldn't buy a brand with a bad quality record anyway.

As for this being a new model, anything wrong with it should be found out within the first three years anyway, and the powertrain goes to five years.

...
2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
farmasis
Member
farmasis is on a distinguished road
 
farmasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
 
Default Re: Extended Warranty

I would have thought about it, but with the 5 yr 100K powertrain warranty, that is all that I would be concerned about. I mean, so what if the radio dies in 4 years, I can replace that-- but the powertrain is what costs $$$$.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to farmasis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help farmasis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
farmasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Gwenzilla
Member
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road
 
Gwenzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calif
Posts: 104

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Extended Warranty

All good points that Farmasis and the Plainsman have put forth. Now I am leaning much farther away from adding it to the deal.

...
Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
SaturnSales
Member
SaturnSales is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 201
 
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Speaking as a former service writer, I would strongly suggest purchasing a service contract. Here's my brief background 3 years as a Toyota service writer, 1 year as an Audi service writer and now 1 year in Saturn Sales.

At both Toyota (which has a wonderful reputation for reliability) and at Audi (not such a strong reputation for reliability) I personally handled repairs where the service contract more than paid for itself. I can say this with certianty because when you present the contract to the service writer when you drop off your vehicle the contract shows how much was paid for it. Some times they can be a pain in the arse to get the repair(s) approved, but that all depends on the contract company. Those I would recommend are PrCo, CNA, and of course the "wrap" offered by Saturn/GM. The wrap is probably the best option cause it extends your bumper to bumper warranty out to 5/100. The PrCo and CNA warranties will only cover certian componets depending on what you buy. But in my professional opinion they are a good thing to have... you may not use it... but it's a piece of mind thing... and you can even get contracts that will refund you the purchase price if you don't use them...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road
 
ThePlainsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 536
 
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales View Post
Speaking as a former service writer, I would strongly suggest purchasing a service contract. Here's my brief background 3 years as a Toyota service writer, 1 year as an Audi service writer and now 1 year in Saturn Sales.

At both Toyota (which has a wonderful reputation for reliability) and at Audi (not such a strong reputation for reliability) I personally handled repairs where the service contract more than paid for itself. I can say this with certianty because when you present the contract to the service writer when you drop off your vehicle the contract shows how much was paid for it. Some times they can be a pain in the arse to get the repair(s) approved, but that all depends on the contract company. Those I would recommend are PrCo, CNA, and of course the "wrap" offered by Saturn/GM. The wrap is probably the best option cause it extends your bumper to bumper warranty out to 5/100. The PrCo and CNA warranties will only cover certian componets depending on what you buy. But in my professional opinion they are a good thing to have... you may not use it... but it's a piece of mind thing... and you can even get contracts that will refund you the purchase price if you don't use them...
You make a good point, I guess, but that "refund the purchase price of the extended warranty" contract is probably voided for ANY repair under the extended including an inexpensive repair.

Those extended warranties are offered because the car companies and their mathematicians/risk insurance people know they are profitable. The car companies make money on those warranties or they wouldn't push them. It's like Best Buy offering you an extended warranty for $400 on your big screen plasma TV. A few people will need it--once. The overwhelming majority won't need it at all and will be out 400 smackers apiece, all in Best Buy's pocket.

And how many non-powertrain out of pocket repairs will it take to equal or exceed the cost of the extended warranty? Possibly a lot of them. And if the car turns out to be that troublesome, I'd trade it in.

Extended warranties are like roulette, the odds are with the house, as they say in the casino gambling industry.

...
2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
ed nunez
Junior Member
ed nunez is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 37
Default Re: Extended Warranty

My experience is in line with Saturnsales. We purchased the GM extended warranty for my 2003 ION about 24k miles into ownership. My wife is a realtor and puts a lot of miles on her vehicles - 33k in '03 alone - so we planned ahead. In our case we had no major problems with the ION but the extended bumper to bumper covered every little thing that went wrong. It even covered a set of struts/shocks at 50k miles, as well as 3 or 4 sets of warped brake rotors - including new brakes pads!

Her previous vehicle was a '98 Pontiac Transport and the extended warranty on that vehicle more than paid for itself a couple of times over. In that case it was probably the best money ever spent on one of my cars.

We will wait to see how the Outlook fares. We have the option of purchasing the GM warranty up to the 36k mile mark. That should come quickly - we've had the Outlook for less than 1 month ans it has 3147 miles already!

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

Last edited by ed nunez; 02-15-2007 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: add sig

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
SKYGUY10066
Member
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 330

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
You make a good point, I guess, but that "refund the purchase price of the extended warranty" contract is probably voided for ANY repair under the extended including an inexpensive repair.

Those extended warranties are offered because the car companies and their mathematicians/risk insurance people know they are profitable. The car companies make money on those warranties or they wouldn't push them. It's like Best Buy offering you an extended warranty for $400 on your big screen plasma TV. A few people will need it--once. The overwhelming majority won't need it at all and will be out 400 smackers apiece, all in Best Buy's pocket.

And how many non-powertrain out of pocket repairs will it take to equal or exceed the cost of the extended warranty? Possibly a lot of them. And if the car turns out to be that troublesome, I'd trade it in.

Extended warranties are like roulette, the odds are with the house, as they say in the casino gambling industry.
I have said it before but until I actually thought about it I didn't realize how true it is. "Even NASA thought the space shuttle was perfect" The fact is that nobody should buy an extended warranty for what is going to happen but what could happen. You pay stupid money every month for insurance why not VEHICLE DEFECT COVERAGE? Ask the service manager of any service department and he or she will 90% of the time admit to having one on their own vehicle.
Nowadays the Powertrain is the last issue with vehicles, it's generally the "other" items.
Now I am not saying get your butt handed to you on the cost of an extended warranty, but do consider it. And think about the mileage BEFORE the years. If you drive 20,000 miles per year a 5 year 60k warranty does you no good.
Lastly if there is one thing to negotiate with it's the warranty. There is rarely thousands of dollars to negotiate with maybe a couple hundred, but at least you "win"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKYGUY10066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
Kaya
Junior Member
Kaya is on a distinguished road
 
Kaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 34

2007
Default Re: Extended Warranty

We did purchase the extended bumper to bumper for 5 yrs/60,000mi. It cost about $1,200. We figured that with being the first model out, and having many electrical/motorized/computerized extras, that it would be worth the investment. We had to use our last extended warranty (on a VW) many times, on big money items !!! For $2/day, I'd rather have peace of mind. Hopefully, we won't need it, but if we do it cost the same as a cup of coffee/day for those extra 2 years...I guess it's all in perspective!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Blip
Member
Blip is on a distinguished road
 
Blip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 64
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Interesting information about the cost of your extended warranty.
We haven't got our Outlook yet, should be here in the next few weeks,
but I asked about warranty costs and the saleman gave me the following:

5/60--$1495 (Looks like our dealer makes a bit more selling this plan.)
6/75--$1795
7/70--$1995 (Interesting that for this one, as the time increases, the mileage decreases.)

He said these were the GM/Saturn plans and not a third-party program.
Wonder if I can get a better warranty deal from another Saturn Dealer,
or do you have to get it from the place of purchase?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
Njerald
Member
Njerald is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 60
Default Re: Extended Warranty

This is one quote that I got by email from www.GM-Auto-Mall.com

It would be a place to start. Also notice that there are 2 plans and difffernet deductibles.

If you are going to give quotes, please know what you are writing about...



Available GM Protection Plans

Vehicle: 2007 Saturn Outlook 2WD
Under 12 months/12,000 miles? Yes
Commercial Use? No
Snowplow? No

Major Guard Best
Term months/miles $200 deductible $100 deductible $0 deductible
48/48,000 $678 $704 $734
60/60,000 $811 $872 $954
72/72,000 $1,051 $1,173 $1,341
84/84,000 $1,357 $1,566 $1,851


Value Guard Better

months/miles $200 deductible $100 deductible $0 deductible

48/48,000 $668 $683 $704
60/60,000 $791 $826 $872
72/72,000 $1,005 $1,081 $1,178
84/84,000 $1,285 $1,418 $1,576

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Njerald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Njerald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
Njerald
Member
Njerald is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 60
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerald View Post
This is one quote that I got by email from www.GM-Auto-Mall.com

It would be a place to start. Also notice that there are 2 plans and different deductibles.

If you are going to give quotes, please know what you are writing about...



Available GM Protection Plans

Vehicle: 2007 Saturn Outlook 2WD
Under 12 months/12,000 miles? Yes
Commercial Use? No
Snowplow? No

Major Guard – Best
Term months/miles $200 deductible $100 deductible $0 deductible
48/48,000 $678 $704 $734
60/60,000 $811 $872 $954
72/72,000 $1,051 $1,173 $1,341
84/84,000 $1,357 $1,566 $1,851


Value Guard – Better

months/miles $200 deductible $100 deductible $0 deductible

48/48,000 $668 $683 $704
60/60,000 $791 $826 $872
72/72,000 $1,005 $1,081 $1,178
84/84,000 $1,285 $1,418 $1,576
The email also said:

For a limited time only... take an additional $180 off the highly discounted
pricing displayed below. This offer is only valid through February 20.

To take advantage of this offer, save this promotional code: 29377
Once you decide which plan is best suited for you, just click on the price
and you will be led to our online application.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Njerald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Njerald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
CarExpert
Junior Member
CarExpert is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 24
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Car owners should know how to do simple repairs in case unexpected circumstances happen in a place where mechanics would not be available. When I had my first car, I wasnt that knowledgeable about car repairs. Im fund of going out of town. I decided to buy Volvo repair manuall so as to know what to do in case Im not in the city. After few months, I almost familiarize all simple ways of repair. The warranty did help me in the problems that I had during the first 6 months of my car and when I wasnt able to repair it myself. Still, I have a personal mechanic for complicated problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarExpert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarExpert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Blip
Member
Blip is on a distinguished road
 
Blip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 64
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerald View Post
This is one quote that I got by email from www.GM-Auto-Mall.com

It would be a place to start. Also notice that there are 2 plans and difffernet deductibles.

If you are going to give quotes, please know what you are writing about...
Interesting to find that your link leads to a "dealer" site and not a GM corporate site.
Thanks for the numbers.

And I guess the simple answer to my question is any Saturn dealer can sell you a
warranty, pricing may different.

(Sorry about the quote info, provided what the saleman gave me in a quick phone call,
didn't know there were "rules" about posting quotes.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #16
Njerald
Member
Njerald is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 60
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip View Post
Interesting to find that your link leads to a "dealer" site and not a GM corporate site.
Thanks for the numbers.

And I guess the simple answer to my question is any Saturn dealer can sell you a
warranty, pricing may different.

(Sorry about the quote info, provided what the saleman gave me in a quick phone call,
didn't know there were "rules" about posting quotes.)
Any dealer can sell to you at whatever price they want. Most want the extra $ back that they may have given you off MSRP for the vehicle.

Shop around for the extended warranty but be sure it is the GM warranty not an aftermarket that may say GM in their ads. You can buy by internet and the warranty is good at all GM dealers.

No rules that I know of other than to try to be correct and give complete info so people can compare without wondering what plan it is, deductibles, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Njerald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Njerald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #17
Kaya
Junior Member
Kaya is on a distinguished road
 
Kaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 34

2007
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip View Post
Interesting information about the cost of your extended warranty.
We haven't got our Outlook yet, should be here in the next few weeks,
but I asked about warranty costs and the saleman gave me the following:

5/60--$1495 (Looks like our dealer makes a bit more selling this plan.)
6/75--$1795
7/70--$1995 (Interesting that for this one, as the time increases, the mileage decreases.)

He said these were the GM/Saturn plans and not a third-party program.
Wonder if I can get a better warranty deal from another Saturn Dealer,
or do you have to get it from the place of purchase?
We did buy the GM warranty, as our dealer informed us that they did not want to service cars with 3rd party warranties ( as he put it, trying to recover the $$ was too difficult for them). With that said, there were 3 types of policies; $0 deduct., $100 deduct, and $200 deduct. Futhermore, there were different "classes" or levels of prices, depending on what class your vechicle purchase fell under. We happened to be on level D. Lastly, there was the amount/time of extended coverage.

So whatever it is worth, the price of your GM warranty depends on these 3 factors:
1) What type of deductible you choose, (We chose $0)
2) what catagory your vechicle falls in (we were D) and
3) year/mileage of coverage (we went with 5 yrs/60,000 mi)

Our price, $1290.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #18
Njerald
Member
Njerald is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 60
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
We did buy the GM warranty, as our dealer informed us that they did not want to service cars with 3rd party warranties ( as he put it, trying to recover the $$ was too difficult for them). With that said, there were 3 types of policies; $0 deduct., $100 deduct, and $200 deduct. Futhermore, there were different "classes" or levels of prices, depending on what class your vechicle purchase fell under. We happened to be on level D. Lastly, there was the amount/time of extended coverage.

So whatever it is worth, the price of your GM warranty depends on these 3 factors:
1) What type of deductible you choose, (We chose $0)
2) what catagory your vechicle falls in (we were D) and
3) year/mileage of coverage (we went with 5 yrs/60,000 mi)

Our price, $1290.
and the dealer loves you at that price!!!!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Njerald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Njerald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #19
Kaya
Junior Member
Kaya is on a distinguished road
 
Kaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 34

2007
Default Re: Extended Warranty

oh well.. you win some, you loose some

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #20
Blip
Member
Blip is on a distinguished road
 
Blip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 64
Default Re: Extended Warranty

Thanks for the info Kaya.

When our truck actually gets here, we'll be better informed about the options
on buying a warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended Warranty jf7fsu Outlook General 0 07-06-2007 05:37 PM
Extended Warranty? Black-N-Tan Vue General 2 12-15-2003 09:43 AM
Extended Warranty / Warranty by net? saturnfreak01 General Saturn Discussion 9 10-27-2003 04:52 PM
Warranty America; Saturn Extended Warranty jb12 General Saturn Discussion 27 10-16-2002 01:26 PM
extended warranty billchez General Saturn Discussion 31 03-27-2002 03:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.