SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2006, 01:08 AM   #21
JBravo
JBravo has a spectacular aura aboutJBravo has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

here's a good tire size comparison tool which will also tell you difference in speedo

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JBravo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JBravo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #22
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Checkered Flag Re: Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBravo View Post
i bought these Kumhos and put them on my 05 fwd r/l after only getting 20k out of the oem bridgestones since i didn't want to spend the $300+ on new bridgestones. I live in Phx, AZ so that gives you an idea about the climate. These tires are ALOT softer compound and will NOT last as long. I replaced all 4 tires with the Kumhos. They handled GREAT and were nice and sticky for excellent traction but sad to say that you must give away some mileage. I only got 4k miles on the set on my frontend. I went in to rotate the tires and they were just about at the wear bars.

Yes they are nice and cheap, but i will not be buying these again. One more thing to know about oem tires that the guys at discount told me. OEM tires that come on the vehicle from the factory are different than the actual OEM replacements that they sell at tire stores. GM saves money by selling a tire that has slightly less tread depth than Bridgestones actual OEM replacement.

I think now i will look at getting the 235's that some have mentioned about getting as the 225's look too small.
You only got 4k miles out of them??? HOLY CRAP!!! The treadwear rating is a 320, so would expect you to get at least 15k to 20k out of them, even with fairly aggressive driving now and then. Now, if you're driving like you're on the track all the time, that's a bit different, but damn!

I still haven't found anything I like better, I think I'm going to order these as a little x-mas present to myself (and my Vue, who needs some luv in a bad way).

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #23
BexVUE
BexVUE is on a distinguished road

What about the Goodyear F1s? I have Winter tires so I'm thinking about going with a good summer tire. The Kumhos scare because of a Jbravo only getting 4000 miles out of them? I'm mostly concerned wit hgood wet traction and a quieter tire.

2004 Black VUE Redline
2001 Ford Explorer SportTrac 4x4
2003 Suzuki Z400 Quadsport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BexVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BexVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BexVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #24
bassplayrr
bassplayrr is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

So what's the view on 255/45/18? It's about 4/10's of an inch smaller in diameter which shouldn't affect the speedo too much. Will the 255/45 ratio clear the inner strut up front? Theoretically a 255 is only about a half inch wider than a 245, or an extra 1/4" roughly on that inner edge. Considering that the diameter is smaller it seems like it should clear just fine. Anyone running 255/45?

-Chris

www.aolights.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bassplayrr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bassplayrr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bassplayrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #25
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBravo View Post
Yes they are nice and cheap, but i will not be buying these again. One more thing to know about oem tires that the guys at discount told me. OEM tires that come on the vehicle from the factory are different than the actual OEM replacements that they sell at tire stores. GM saves money by selling a tire that has slightly less tread depth than Bridgestones actual OEM replacement.
I would trust the guy at Discount about as far as I could throw him. Do you really think that Bridgestone and other tire companies have identical molds for the same tire that vary only in tread depth, where one goes to the OEM and the other to the aftermarket?

If the replacement tire has the GM TPC label on it, then it is the same exact tire as GM uses as original equipment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:24 AM   #26
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexVUE View Post
What about the Goodyear F1s? I have Winter tires so I'm thinking about going with a good summer tire. The Kumhos scare because of a Jbravo only getting 4000 miles out of them? I'm mostly concerned wit hgood wet traction and a quieter tire.
While I have no reason to doubt jbravo's sincerity, that story is just incredibly hard to believe. Those tires should be good for a LEAST 20,000 miles. I have used and recommended many Kumho tires over the years and that is very different from my experience and I've used the Ecsta 711's on my old modified A4. They have the same treadware rating and took aggressive usage with no problem (I think I put 20k *hard* miles on them and then replaced them with Pirelli Pzero's).

The Goodyear F1's are *VERY* nice summer tires. They are also very soft, but totally worth it if you've got dedicated winter tires.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #27
BexVUE
BexVUE is on a distinguished road

One review does not make a good tire review, but until someone else chimes in thats all I have to go on. I hope it isn't that bad because $125/ tire is alot easier to swallow than $200.
All the reviews I read on Tirerack are highly recommending of the Kumhos, so maybe those are a little more accurate.

2004 Black VUE Redline
2001 Ford Explorer SportTrac 4x4
2003 Suzuki Z400 Quadsport

Last edited by BexVUE; 01-21-2007 at 10:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BexVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BexVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BexVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #28
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Speer has bought a set of Kumho's last week. It will take time, but he'll be a reliable reference to how they're holding up.

I did have a 72 Pontiac Ventura II that would eat up almost every tire we put on it. We would average 6k miles on Michelin radials.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #29
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Question Re: Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

I wound up not buying any new tires before Christmas, so I'm still shopping. I saw these in an ad in the back of Car & Driver, and I'm curious, but I'm not sold on them since there is basically zero feedback on them anywhere. What do you guys think? Cheeseball, or keeping with the "Red Line" theme?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=45&tc=NITHZ5

They only come in 255/45R18, so it seems like they were *made* for us! Someone else asked about that wider size, and no one has responded saying they are running 255/45, but I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't fit, especially since it it not as tall. OEM size is 122.5mm tall, this is 115mm. Overall tire height would be about 15mm less, about a half inch, which is about the same as the difference between a brand new tire and one that's worn down to the wear bars.

I'm also considering these, after all the raving fans that have posted reviews:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=45&tc=NITHZ3

They're a little more expensive than the Kumhos, but may be worth it. Please share your thoughts.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #30
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Not sure how wide the 18" rims are on the R/L. I'm running 18x8s, with 255/55 Pirelli Scorpions. Nice, agressive-looking tire, just a little more road noise over the 235/55 Michelin MXVs I was running before. Here's a link to a nice looking 255/55 tire on TireRack, General Grabber UHP:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=12

I wouldn't run 225/55, they'll be too small in the wheelwell. But others have chimed in that the smaller 225/55 works better in snow and ice. I'm from So Cal, temporarily in Norfolk (VA), so I don't have to deal with snow and ice, and the 255/55s are looking good and working fine so far...

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #31
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzestarvue View Post
Not sure how wide the 18" rims are on the R/L.
Pretty sure they're 18x8 as well. Personally, I've thought about going with 225/55 too, mostly for less rolling resistance/better mileage, but honestly, I'm not really willing to give up grip (and handling, with the slightly taller sidewall) for a 5% increase in mileage, and I'm pretty keen on improving mileage where I can.

Anyone have any experience with Nitto tires in general?

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #32
SSSnake
SSSnake is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

The Hankook Ventus Sport comes in 235 50 r18. I have the 245/40/R20s on mine and like them. The price is also very attractive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SSSnake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SSSnake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #33
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Anyone running a 255-50-18 set of tires?

My FWD came with 235-65-16's and I am considering going with 255-50-18's on my Redline rims for summer. Uncertain about rubbing... Anyone have a suggestion? I think I'll be okay, but am a little unsure about their width since they are 9.25 versus 10.03" wide.

I would appreciate thoughts.

I am considering these bad boys if noone sees issues:
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...&category=lgt#

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
20VUE06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #34
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzestarvue View Post
Not sure how wide the 18" rims are on the R/L. I'm running 18x8s, with 255/55 Pirelli Scorpions.
The Pirelli Scorpions look wicked with the Z pattern thread pattern!

Do they have good wet and dry traction?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #35
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VUE06 View Post
Anyone running a 255-50-18 set of tires?

My FWD came with 235-65-16's and I am considering going with 255-50-18's on my Redline rims for summer. Uncertain about rubbing... Anyone have a suggestion? I think I'll be okay, but am a little unsure about their width since they are 9.25 versus 10.03" wide.

I would appreciate thoughts.

I am considering these bad boys if noone sees issues:
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...&category=lgt#
I'd be pretty surprised if 255/50R18s rubbed. They're only going to be 0.4 inches wider, and a fraction of an inch taller.

I like the looks of the tread pattern on the Toyos. Treadware 420, not bad.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #36
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if 255/50R18s rubbed. They're only going to be 0.4 inches wider, and a fraction of an inch taller.

I like the looks of the tread pattern on the Toyos. Treadware 420, not bad.
Dante,

Thanks. I called tirerack yesterday for giggles and told them what car I had, etc... They verified the available stock tires (245/50's) and then I asked whether they could recommend any other sizes for more of a variety. The guy stated that Saturn and Tirerack would only recommend 245 or 255/50's. I asked about 225 and 235, but he stated that "Saturn and Tirerack only recommend..."

I might call back one more time to validate that again, then it is off to find somewhere to get these Toyo's.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
20VUE06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #37
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The Pirelli Scorpions look wicked with the Z pattern thread pattern!

Do they have good wet and dry traction?
Well, the Pirelli Scorpions certainly have a more agressive tread pattern than the Michelin MXV-4s they replaced. Haven't put too many miles on them yet, but they seem to be more grippy than the Michelins, at the expense of slightly louder tire noise, especially when coming to a stop. But at sustained highway speeds, I think they're just as quiet as the Michelins. I've driven them through rain and freezing temperatures, and they seem to perform just fine. 'Course I didn't mash the gas pedal going thru corners when it was raining, so not sure if the tires would break loose, but I feel more confident with the Pirellis than the Michelins...

Here's the 235/55-18 Michelin MXV-4:

255/55-18 Pirelli Scorpion S/T

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #38
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

Dang those 255/55s look meaty!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #39
Tyrone
Tyrone is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

So what's the view on 255/45/18? It's about 4/10's of an inch smaller in diameter which shouldn't affect the speedo too much. Will the 255/45 ratio clear the inner strut up front? Theoretically a 255 is only about a half inch wider than a 245, or an extra 1/4" roughly on that inner edge. Considering that the diameter is smaller it seems like it should clear just fine. Anyone running 255/45?

-Chris

I am running 255/40/20 Yokahama Parada Spec X. The performance is excellent - the wet traction is excellent - the wheel well clearance is excellent - the price per tire was only $142.00 at Discount Tire! They are VR rated with a 320 thread rating. It makes my RL handle like a top, and I have over 12k miles on them now - I love 'em!

"Still Amazed By HIS GRACE"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyrone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyrone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #40
DeathWind
DeathWind is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I have been researching this for some time and found that the closest size is the 235/50 18s. 1010 Tires has the best tire calculator I've seen. You can view up to three tires plus the original equipment. In the right window under options select Show Tires Made In Each Size and you will see why the OEM tires are so darn expensive. At 60mph you will show 60.8 mph due to the 1.43% tire diameter difference. Additionally, researching the 235s you will see you can get better tires with great reviews for $115 - $150 each. Not bad when you are looking at 200+ for decent OEM sizes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeathWind's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeathWind reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeathWind is offline   Reply With Quote