SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
hajidirobertis
hajidirobertis is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Wrench Inspections, break changes, etc..

Well I finally bought the 04 RL from my brother-in-law (lease was up...). Since he did not get extend the warranty for the fourth year I had to take it for a 75 point inspection. Called three four dealers and all of them charge $99.95 for the inspection EXCEPT the dealer that I was doing the buy back from, SURPRISE they charge $119.95.

I knew the front disks were finished so I called the same 4 dealers for quotes and no surprise the same dealer was most expensive and EVERYONE suggested I go for an alternate disk to the OEM for cost savings and "they haven't had any problems with them.." translation? Brings me back to the multiple posts about warped GM discs ... But one thing ticket me off, Every dealer asked if it was the RL model and when I said yes they told me "they had to get back to me since it was different". I thought the Vue V6 AWD and RL had the same breaks (thanks for the confirmation Dante!). I decided to call Midas who had done the breaks on my Accord (which I had just sold)... asked them for a quote and I told them it was the RL and their response? "RL? Its a V6 AWD right? Well there's no difference, same disks and pads"... brought it in the next day and save $150 vs. the dealer...

Back to the 75P inspection... Only thing they found was that I needed to change the filters (engine and cabin - no biggy, I'll do that myself) and here's the interesting part "Links in both the front left and right suspension are loose and need to be replaced"... If I go with the dealer that has been the most expensive it'll cost me $300 (of course I will shop around). But after reading all the posts about noise in the front end I have a feeling they knew exactly where to go. Could this be a defect that GM isn't talking about? Hmmm makes me wonder. Any thoughts anyone? Anyone had it done already?

Another interesting point was I have the hitch installed with all the wiring to pull the trailer and they didn't even comment that you are not allowed with the RL...

Why is 1 dealer more expensive than the other guys? Well you have to understand that it isn't just that GM/Saturn dealer, it is most of the car dealers in my area... I live in the western end of Montreal. Its an Island and believe it or not, most peopl who live in this area do not want to venture very far (even an extra 10 miles). Business' know this therefore they hike the prices since they know people will pay. Also doesn't hurt that the avewrage family income is higher in the area (don't look at me, I bring the average down <grin>)...

More food for thought later.

AJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hajidirobertis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hajidirobertis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hajidirobertis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links