SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #1
Pacmanpoop
Pacmanpoop is on a distinguished road

Default Air in my brake lines that won't go away!

I have a 95 sl2 with just over a 100,000 I bought it with 45,000 and weak brakes. I had a monkey change the master + wheel cylinders and the rear shoes, the brakes felt ok for a couple off days then weak. 2 days ago I changed the front rotors + pads and rear drums and used a bleeder kit to bleed the rear wheels. The car felt a lot better than any other time. Here is the problem, when I was bleeding the rear right the fluid came out very fast and air free but the rear left it took 3 to 4 times as many pumps to get the same amount of fluid out. The clear tube had a lot of tiny air bubbles, some almost dissolved into the fluid. So I thought the master was put in without being bench blead and I had the bright idea to crack open the two top lines going into the master while my GF hold the brakes down. I did that and the car now feels worse than ever... the pedal will hit the floor before I get a good grip on the tires. So now I thought I have a lot more air in the system. I bought a lot of brake fluid and started to bleed the rear right again without problems but the rear left had so many air bubbles I spent the last 2 hours bleeding it with 1 and half large brake fluid bottles and the air still shows in the clear bleeder tube. I have all new fluid now going through all sides but the rear left and front right the air will not go away. I gave up and the car still feels a lot worse than I had it before messing with the master cylinder.
Will power bleeding get all the air out of the master even if it was never bench blead? Why do I have such bad flow to the right front and rear left?
I also feel a slight shudder under my foot half way down the brake pedal it feels like an air bubble moving around under pressure in the master.
Please give me some input on how to solve this problem. I had a alittle taste of what good brakes feel like for about 6 hours!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pacmanpoop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pacmanpoop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pacmanpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 AM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Air in my brake lines that won't go away!

got ABS?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Pacmanpoop

No ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pacmanpoop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

There's air getting into the system somewhere. I'd check those lines up by the master cylinder first.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Pacmanpoop

I have 4 metal lines going into the master. some of the fittings on them are not screwed all the way in. The smaller size fittings are almost rounded off. i had to use a vise grip to open and close the top small fitting. i guess the mechanic didnt have the right wrench size or it was very hard to open and it was rounded off. I think I might take out the master cylinder and bench bleed it and try it out. with the metal lines I wont be able to pinch them closed for the process. any pointers about cheching it out for proper operation? uninstalling it and reinstalling it steps or tips? thx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacmanpoop
some of the fittings on them are not screwed all the way in.
There you go...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote