SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
wolfehunter
wolfehunter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Cleaning EGR valve

I'm trying to find the "How To" article on cleaning the EGR valve on my 98 Saturn. I went to the links icon at the top right of the page, then clicked on "technical" and found 29 How To articles but didn't see one for EGR valve. I'm new to the site so please be patient. I'm chasing a hesitation/sputter and new plugs/wires didn't cure it.

Thanks,

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Cleaning EGR valve

Here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&highlight=EGR

For future reference, go to the "How To Library" section, and use the "SEARCH THIS FORUM" pull down THERE.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

wolfman,

Thanks a million for the link. I found the "How To" in the drop down box so I'm good to go.

And to clear any speculation: I'm not a WOLF hunter as in "one who hunts wolves". Wolfe is my last name and I enjoy hunting so I kind of combined the two. I see you are the wolfman and wondered how you acquired that username?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter
wolfman,

And to clear any speculation: I'm not a WOLF hunter as in "one who hunts wolves". Wolfe is my last name and I enjoy hunting so I kind of combined the two. I see you are the wolfman and wondered how you acquired that username?
Over the last decade or so, I have both supported the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone National Park, and hopefully soon to the Maine North Woods, and kept/keep (I'm on my second, a 100 lb. male) wolf-hybrids as pets.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
SaturnFreek
SaturnFreek is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

My mother breeds wolves/german shepherds.. The puppies are beautiful and extremely smart. She sells them for $350 a piece.. What a steal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFreek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFreek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

That sounds like very interesting work. Or is it just a hobby? Would love to see wolves here in the Northeast. Been reading some pretty interesting articles about our Eastern Coyote and how some of them seem to be a little oversized. DNA testing and theories are saying that they may be crossbreading with wolves?

http://www.caledonianrecord.com/page...tory/fef373e9d

Any thoughts?

Back on topic here. I cleaned my EGR valve last night and what a corroded mess that was. I used STP throttle body cleaner. I may have used too much because it didn't want to stay running at first until all that gunk was gone but it sure seems to have chased away the hesitation/sputter I was having. Thanks for the help. I'm going to pick up an ECTS and new connector today and probably change my coolant right away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnFreek
My mother breeds wolves/german shepherds.. The puppies are beautiful and extremely smart. She sells them for $350 a piece.. What a steal.
That's all well and good, but does she dress them in a uniform, and sit them behind the wheel of a cop car? I thought not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter
Back on topic here. I cleaned my EGR valve last night and what a corroded mess that was. I used STP throttle body cleaner. I may have used too much because it didn't want to stay running at first until all that gunk was gone but it sure seems to have chased away the hesitation/sputter I was having. Thanks for the help. I'm going to pick up an ECTS and new connector today and probably change my coolant right away.
Sounds like a plan.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnFreek
Just don't let this happen.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9533179/detail.html

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

Wow, definately not the way I would prefer to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
I've had Neko, my current hybrid, for 10 years. He lives peacefully with a VERY territorial Chihuahua, miniature Daschund and THREE CATS.

Like any animal, he is what he was raised to be....a gentle and loving family pet who is respected and treated like a member of the family, not locked up in a small pen with SEVEN OTHER DOGS.

Yes, he is very smart. Yes he howls (especially when he hears police/fire engine sirens. NO he is not vicious, no he is not a "ticking time bomb."

Yes, he is not fond of the UPS man, the FedEx man or the vet.

The UPS and FedEx men because they ignored signs that said not to do so and went to the back door....where he sleeps...and startled him. (NO! He did NOT bite or attack them!)

The vet, because of a late night (3am) visit to have porcupine quills pulled out of his nose/mouth/tongue, that required anesthesia....and traumatized him. He likes going to the vet.....just does not like getting taken back into the examination room. Up until the porcupine incident, he had no problem with the vet at all. He just does not trust them anymore, and thinks every UPS and FedEx man is trying to sneak up on him!

(Oh, and although Neko does resemble the dog in my avatar, that is not him...he is much more handsome)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!