SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
JrDave2324
JrDave2324 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Need help learning about Saturns/cars in general!!

Well I just got my liscence and naturally I became interested in cars. I have a 1993 Saturn SL and wanna know what all the parts under the hood are and what they do, performance parts info, etc.. Not just about Saturns but cars in general. Anybody got any suggested sites or books? (prefferably web sites )

Appreciate any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JrDave2324's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JrDave2324 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2002, 11:24 PM   #2
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

HOW SATURN BUILT A BRAND

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 02:13 AM   #3
Plastic Gravity

Default Re: Need help learning about Saturns/cars in general!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JrDave2324
Well I just got my liscence and naturally I became interested in cars. I have a 1993 Saturn SL and wanna know what all the parts under the hood are and what they do, performance parts info, etc.. Not just about Saturns but cars in general. Anybody got any suggested sites or books? (prefferably web sites )

Appreciate any help
On the tech and performance side, read the forumns here. Do a keyword search and nearly everything has been covered to some degree. Pat's site- www.xtremesaturn.com is also a very good read. Follow the links here and other Saturn sites...you can learn a serious amount on line.

For car basics, you can get any number of books for just how they work...

Welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-06-2002, 08:39 AM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Happy

To build on Plastic Gravity's good advice I would simply add that in addition to these forums you should surf Charlie's main site here at saturnfans.com for quality Saturn information. I know of no place that has as much history, general information, links etc about all aspects of Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:41 AM   #5
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

You just got your license, so I'm assuming you are about 16-17? and still in high school?
I highly recommend taking an auto maintenance class if your school offers it. This will teach you about all of the major systems and cars in general ... as well as save you thousands in easy do it yourself repairs like brake work, oil changes, tune ups, etc.
If your school does not offer it or you are not in school, often times local community organizations offer short classes in auto maintenance. Have fun!

Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:13 AM   #6
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

To follow up on Paul's suggestion, you might want to check with your local Saturn dealer and see when they're having their next new owner's orientation thing. They do them every so often. I haven't been to one myself, but I imagine they'd show you the stuff under the hood, put the car on the lift and check out the stuff on the bottom, go over basic maintenance things you could do, that sort of stuff.

You could also look into buying a repair manual. Even if you don't plan on doing a lot of the more complicated things that are in them, they do have a lot of info about what things do what and where they're located. I got the Haynes book for under $20 I think.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy Re: Need help learning about Saturns/cars in general!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JrDave2324

Appreciate any help
How Stuff Works - series of articles that explores the workings of devices from cell phones to refrigerators, and explains the principles behind things such as helium and pi.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:21 AM   #8
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Best way to learn is to get with people who are more experienced. Hang out with interesting people, and talk with them about their area of expertise.

-Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 02:46 PM   #9
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

Read- get subscriptions to magazines like Car and Driver and Road and Track. You see how these concepts you read about in other places come into play in "the real world."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 03:09 PM   #10
mikthehickNC
mikthehickNC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL1

Since you seem to be a Saturn fan, welcome! I've had my license for about 3 years now, and when I first began driving, I went to some maintenence classes offered from my school. My dealer also had monthly informational meetings for Saturn owners to let them know everything about their cars. I also read all I could on them. There are so many private saturn sites out there, many of the links are all over this board. Have fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikthehickNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikthehickNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 05:09 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff P
To follow up on Paul's suggestion, you might want to check with your local Saturn dealer and see when they're having their next new owner's orientation thing. They do them every so often. I haven't been to one myself, but I imagine they'd show you the stuff under the hood, put the car on the lift and check out the stuff on the bottom, go over basic maintenance things you could do, that sort of stuff.

You could also look into buying a repair manual. Even if you don't plan on doing a lot of the more complicated things that are in them, they do have a lot of info about what things do what and where they're located. I got the Haynes book for under $20 I think.

jeff
To add to Jeff P, there is also the Chilton's repair manual for '91-'00 Saturn S-Series models that can be found in most major bookstore chains like Borders or Barnes and Noble. The owner's clinics are very valuable, and yes, Jeff, they do put the car on the lift so you can inspect the underside. They'll even show you how to change a tire, especially that 'fake' centerpiece of the alloy wheel. It's worth the two-hour stay at the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread