SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
jsuani
jsuani is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Information How to Thoroughly Clean Interior.

I just had to share this with you all. I was tired of seeing threads on floor mat cleaning. I thought to myself, why are we thinking small on interior cleaning. I found this information on another website only because I own a ford ranger as my work truck. I know, I know but don't hate. Saturn hasn't mad a truck for me to haul around my motorcycle.

If you have dirt and stains everywhere, dirty floormats, stained seats then this information is for you. I have tried it and it works. So here goes. What did I do first, you ask.

I decided to clean it.

1.)Started by removing the seats, plastic mouldings from the door jams, center arm rest, and then the interior carpet.
2.)I wiped down the interior with a soap and water mixture. I also cleaned all the mouldings with soap & water.
3.)I took off the door panels, carpet, etc. and sprayed it down with Resolve.
4.)I then vacuumed and cleaned the floor pan. It had a lot of dirt and junk under the carpet from the previous owner. If you need something to get up any dried mud or slime then use a iron scrub brush. Then just blot out with a wet towel.
5.)Then I scrubbed everything and blasted it down with the pressure washer. Worked great! Man the pressure washer was the ticket. It blasted the dirt out and fluffed up the carpet making it all look new. Very time consuming project to do it right, but gives great great great results with some patience and elbow grease.

Difficulty (1-10) : 6(very time consuming & tiring)

Cost: I am thrifty and found most of the items at my local family dollar. I spent no more then a few dollars there. The car wash cost me 2 dollars total only because I wanted to be thorough. The rest is just your time and patience.

Products needed:
Resolve spray cleaner
Iron scrub brush
Dish washing liquid detergent
Spray bottle
Water (from any tap)
Cotton towels
Tools to remove seats, center console, and interior door trim.
Pressure washer (use the car wash so to not block up your drive way)

Note: With the seats, just use the resolve and a cleaned iron scrub brush and some elbow grease. Of course, you do not want to use the pressure washer on the seats. Unless you just want to ruin them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsuani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsuani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsuani is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
2001L300
2001L300 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How to Thoroughly Clean Interior.

Wow. Thorough doesn't even begin to describe that. More like brought back from the brink of extinction. How dirty was it to begin with??

2001 L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2001L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2001L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2001L300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Wow, you and I must be related. Thats almost the exact way I have cleaned the interior of my cars for years. My wife tells me all the time that I'm way too anal or meticulous.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Ditto that one! You can be supprised how well you can clean a car out once you take the seats out and crawl around in there.

Also if you take a clean rag and soak it in hot hot water and gently wipe down your headliner you can clean it quite a bit. I was supprised how dirty it was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
SaturngirlSc2
SaturngirlSc2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

How do you take the seats out? I have the power drivers seat, regular passenger seat and the back. I have loosened the screws etc for the back seat (I was trying to get the seat covers off), but it seems as though i am missing something..

My daughter spilled Jamba juice and I need to clean asap..

Thanks,

Laura

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturngirlSc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturngirlSc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturngirlSc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

There should be four torx bolts that hold the seat to the floor (one on each coroner). and a wire harness that will unplug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #7
jsuani
jsuani is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Yes. You may say anal I say detailed. I just know that if anyone is trying to get their vehicle interior back to new and clean look without breaking themselves. This is the way to do it and stop arguing in the family about money issues. Also, if you do it you must do it right. DO the research it works better and saves precious time. I think my time is very important to me. I did it and it even brought back the nap, and smell of a new interior. Seats are easy to remove as explained by...my man above. Good job. Also never shot down what you haven't tried for yourself. I did it cause I used to live in Alaska for four years and snow, salt, and other items that get spilled in a car can make it not to presentable. I even took the liberty of cleaning under the carpet with a iron brush and soapy hot water. I of course. allowed it to dry before putting everything back together. It looked so good I did it to my truck also. Resolve is a nice product to use. All products used came from family dollar. I do not promote their store either. Just letting you know you can find these products in a cheap way and still make it work. Have fun in all you do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsuani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsuani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsuani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Ampman82
Ampman82 is on a distinguished road

This post is a good; but a little off-topic. I think you want the mental health forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ampman82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ampman82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ampman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Good tip, might do it once a year with my VUE just to get one good cleaning in for the summer months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Mundane
Mundane is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Yeah, I'm definitely doing this this weekend, maybe Friday right after class! Just bought a 2000 SC1 at a GREAT price b/c it was pretty dirty and was shifting hard.

Thanks to Campus189 and Chazberry, I got the tranny fixed (valve body bus plate and plug of the feed wire), now it's time to clean it up.
I already got the plastic looking good as new with some Purple Power and terry cloth, so I think the soapy water is a bit over kill.

The Purple Power/terry cloth combo followed up by an ArmorAll Protectant/terry cloth combo makes the plastic look GOOD AS NEW! Now, with the fixed transmission, if I can get the carpet looking at least half as good as the paneling, I will have easily added nearly $1000 to the value for which I bought it.

Can't wait to take the pressure washer to the carpet! Thanks for posting! (Yeah, I know this post is old...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mundane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mundane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mundane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I recently brought a SL1 back from the dead. Over all the car was decent except for the massive oil use and the interior that was just simply GROSS.

Removed seats, carpet, and all plastic trim. Power washer to carpet then super clean and scrub brush, and then power wash to rinse... repeat.

Same for seats.

Plastic trim and dash/door panels/etc were all scrubbed with brush and super clean.

To give you an idea.... you couldn't see the numbers on the radio buttons prior to cleaning. When it was done it looked like brand new. It did take most of a week for the seats to dry though.

fyi... not my car....

Highmile
'95 SL1 502k and counting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Robcatastrophic
Robcatastrophic is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L

Very nice writeup!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robcatastrophic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robcatastrophic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robcatastrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
99Homecoming
99Homecoming is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I took my car to the detailing centre and for 50 bucks I got the carpet and seats shampoo'd The seats came out brand new, and the carpet is "better" I have the light beige interior..

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99Homecoming's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99Homecoming reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99Homecoming is offline   Reply With Quote