SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #101
MikeB 30
MikeB 30 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

I too got the P0404 Pintle Position error, mechanic wanted 240 dollars to replace, so Saturday I took twenty minutes and did the EGR cleaning procedure. The pintle was stuck closed, took quite a bit of force and a lot of cleaning to get it to open the first time. Kept cleaning and scrubbing until it moved freely and re-installed with the new gasket. Seems to be running better. Thanks for the great write up!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeB 30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeB 30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeB 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #102
Seldom Home
Seldom Home is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshn1972 View Post
5. Hold the EGR valvehorizontally and spray carb cleaner on the pinktle (see picture). I used a regular toothbrush to clean the pintle, but I had hardly any buildup.
How far is the pintle supposed to move. Is the position in the photo open? closed? Does it move in or out from this position?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seldom Home's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seldom Home reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seldom Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #103
Seldom Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Home View Post
How far is the pintle supposed to move. Is the position in the photo open? closed? Does it move in or out from this position?
Bump. Anybody out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Seldom Home reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #104
carfleet mntc
carfleet mntc is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2000 SL2

This is for seldom home. The pintle only opens up enough to allow exhaust gas to recirculate when the engine is cold. It is normally in the down position,and only pulls up when starting.The pintle shown is down(closed) .This information is good only for electric E.G.R.s ,Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfleet mntc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfleet mntc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfleet mntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #105
Seldom Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfleet mntc View Post
This is for seldom home. The pintle only opens up enough to allow exhaust gas to recirculate when the engine is cold. It is normally in the down position,and only pulls up when starting.The pintle shown is down(closed) .This information is good only for electric E.G.R.s ,Good Luck.
Thanks for the information, that's the answer I needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #106
bitterlemons
bitterlemons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Wanted to post a much-delayed thanks to sunshn1972 for this thread. Our SW2 was giving us some trouble and we narrowed it down to the EGR valve. It was only a couple of hundred to get it fixed, but that was a couple of hundred we definitely didn't have. My wife and I followed the instructions here and almost a year later the problem remains fixed. Cost us a can of carb cleaner, some gloves and paper towels, and an old toothbrush :-) It was our first mechanical venture as new car owners, and our success definitely helped us feel more confident in tackling things ourselves. Thanks again!

Take care
-Justin-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterlemons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterlemons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #107
sublimegoddess
sublimegoddess is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

i have a 97 automatic sc1. im going to have my dad clean my egr valve tomorrow with the throttle body. im going to buy the parts for him and was trying to get it taken care of today. I'm confused which gaskets of these i should be purchasing.

Felpro EGR/Exhaust Air Supply Gasket
Part No. 70789

or

BWD EGR Valve Mounting Gasket
Part No. EVG41

and
im assuming that this is the right one for the throttle body?
Felpro Throttle Body Gasket
Part No. 61177

these parts are from AA, i tried to post links but it will not let me because i am a new member.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sublimegoddess's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sublimegoddess reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sublimegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #108
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Another thank you post! My SL2 was hesitating for a bit. Still 32mpg mixed, but just didn't feel as powerful as new. After cleaning the EGR this weekend, it doesn't seem to need to downshift for passing power anymore. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #109
memorx11
memorx11 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Thank you so much for the info as my saturn pretty much was dying and this brought it back to life. It saved me 300 dollars. Now if I can just figure out what the knocking sound is when I start to accelerate!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to memorx11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help memorx11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
memorx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #110
mommysheri
mommysheri is on a distinguished road

I have never owned a Saturn before, until I bought a 99 SL1 for my daughter. We've had it for about 3 months now. Within the first three days we had to replace the water pump and the serp belt (pain in the butt...but done). Now the rpms (sometimes are high) on start up. Settles down after a min. We can drive the car about 10 min and its fine. Then it starts to surge at times and when coming to a light (lower RPM's)it will stall out. Have had it hooked up to read codes 3 times...nothing is indicating EGR. It came up with P0133 - O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, replaced that. Also came up with P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor, replaced that. Still stalling.../sigh. Could it still be the EGR but code not registering? Or, could it be the Throttle positioning sensor?

Also, take note, NO SES light came on -EVER. (thinking possibly that's just a bulb out).

PS. I bought a new O2 sensor for 'after the catalytic converter' ...debating on waiting to put it on until after we clean the EGR. If cleaning solves the issue, I will just return the O2 sensor and get my $82.00 back.

Saturns are new terrain for me...gimme a classic like a 280z and I'll write you a book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mommysheri's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mommysheri reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mommysheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #111
diblue1121
diblue1121 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

WOW! 5 years after the origional post, and this post has helped me tons! Every site I've looked at said to clean the EGR valve using carb cleaner, but didn't really say where to spray it, etc...Your post has helped me so much! My car was running/idling really rough, and at times would die. Took me 10-15 minutes to pull it, spray it, let it dry, and put it all back together. My EGR valve was caked up with carbon crud. I ran it approx 30 miles, and the SES light hasn't come back on so far. The car isn't idling rough at a stop light now (my window roller is no longer driving me crazy with it's rattle at least.) I'm hoping I don't get about half way to work tomorrow only to have the light come back on, but so far so good!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diblue1121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diblue1121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diblue1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #112
mcnerven
mcnerven is on a distinguished road

My 97 Saturn Sl2 (131k) has been idling extremely rough and bucking during acceleration. The service engine light came up so I took it to Autozone and sure enough the EGR Valve code, P1404, came up.

I removed the EGR valve and tried to clean this, but noticed that the pintle (sp?) doesn't fully close even after cleaning leaving a small gap. Do I just need to do a better job of cleaning or should I just go buy a new EGR valve altogether?

I put it back on regardless and went on a test drive and it's still running poorly. Also I did not turn on the car with the EGR Valve removed. Is this a vital step?

Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcnerven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcnerven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mcnerven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #113
mcnerven
mcnerven is on a distinguished road

Second time was a charm. Followed Richpin's youtube video "Trouble Code P0404 EGR Cleaning" to the letter during the sunshine today and my car didn't buck or have a rough idle at low speeds after.

There was some weird goop, like dialectic grease or hair gel, in the electrical connection and I cleaned that out too.

Fingers crossed that this fix my issues for awhile!

I used throttle body cleaner (tons of it) followed by brake cleaner to remove residue and used a thin allen wrench to scrap a lot of the gunk off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcnerven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcnerven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mcnerven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #114
brunobie1
brunobie1 is on a distinguished road

Worked great... thanks for the information. My service engine light was on and the code from Autozone said EGR Throttle Position. I used the carb cleaner like you showed and the light is off and car is running great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brunobie1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brunobie1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brunobie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #115
goldenkd
goldenkd is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

I had my EGR valve cleaned a few weeks ago, and when the symptoms came back, the mechanics said I probably need to replace it. Also, one said that when they are up in miles and burning oil, they get clogged more often. Would replacing it really help then? Should I just clean it more often? How do you know when it is time to replace it, really?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goldenkd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goldenkd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goldenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #116
bitterlemons
bitterlemons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Just realized I had never posted a thank you in this thread. It allowed my wife and I to do our first bit of tinkering with our Saturn a few months after we got it. We didn't have the $300 to pay the shop to replace it so we used these instructions and did it ourselves. Not only did it save us about $293, but gave us the satisfaction and confidence to tackle more and more projects. Roughly 60,000km later, the EGR valve is still going strong!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterlemons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterlemons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #117
greenthumb
greenthumb is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm and smoged without a hitch. Unfortunatly you left out the part about cleaning the EGR makes the radiator explode...Oh I guess that was only my car. Now you'll have to excuse me while I read up on how to replace a radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenthumb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenthumb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #118
stealthninja
stealthninja is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

thank you original poster of the how to!!!!
Made my car run smoother and cleaner.
will do further analysis to determine if it made my P0404 code go away.
Thanks again.
Also can you help me determine what I need to replace to fix the following codes:
P0420
P0440
Thanks in advance for your knowledge and assistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stealthninja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stealthninja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stealthninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #119
magreger
magreger is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

How long will the Soda can gasket last? My particular problem arises when the engine is at operating temp. Will the aluminum last that long?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magreger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magreger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #120
jakehathaway
jakehathaway is on a distinguished road

So, I did this on Saturday. It took about 3 min to get the EGR off. I didn't have to move the airhose or the bracket. It took about 45 min to clean the part. Man was it dirty. My pintle worked ok, but it looked like it wasn't coming up all the way which was probably the 1404 error I had on SES. I have driven 70 miles since and the SES has stayed off.
Thanks for creating such a great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshn1972 View Post
I cleaned my EGR valve today. I wasn't having any problems, it was just preventive maintenance. My 98 SL2 is at almost 121,000 miles, and as far as I know the EGR valve has never been cleaned. I was surprised that there was almost no build up on it. A few sprays of carb cleaner and a toothbrush got it shining in just a few minutes.

So here's what I did, with pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jakehathaway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jakehathaway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jakehathaway is offline   Reply With Quote