SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Default Comparing old and new SCs

My two daughters both drive SC2 coupes.Both cars were purschased with low miles used and both have simular options. One is a 96 and one is a 01.I have driven both on many occasions and was wondering if other S series owners who have owned two generations of S series cars have came away with simular feelings and views as myself.First I find the 01 a much more smoother and quiter riding car.However I find the interior space to feel much smaller than the 96. I get a cramped feeling like roof and windshield are right on the top of my head in the 01.Both cars have factory sunroofs.I also find that the seats are not as confortable in the 01 as in the 96.Even using the lumbar support does little to compare with the comfort of the seats in the 96.The body styling and lines of the 01 seems light years ahead of the 96.Yet the 96 to me feels more sporty when your driving it?I also feel more historcial if thats a proper phrase when Im in the 96, like im in a classic of some kind even though i know thats ridicilous?Its all kind of strange and I was wondering if anyone else has had simular feelings about 1st and 2nd generation cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
SinWagon
SinWagon is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default Re: Comparing old and new SCs

Before I had my 2000 SC2 I had a 1994 SW2. This may sound strange, but I think that the SW2 felt a bit more sporty than the SC2. Perhaps it was the louder interior, or maybe it was knowing that the car was relatively sporty for a wagon. To this day I think the wagon was a bit faster than my SC2. Either way, I enjoy the lines of the SC2, and I like the idea of having the second generation body with the third generation interior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinWagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

I had a 92 SC, then a 96 SC2, now a 02 SC2. each one was quieter and smoother than the previous one. the 92 and 96 were closer together compared to the 02 since the 02 is a 3-door and has a longer wheelbase. the 02 engine is smoother than the 92 and 96 too. Saturn really did make some improvement in NVH over the years.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

I had a 93 and now a 97. Only difference is the 97 is quieter, faster, and looks better. (and a lot more $!). The lack of tire to fill the finders still drives me nuts.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ProDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I had a 92 and 95 SL2, the difference between the two was quite different. The 95 is a lot quieter and there are less rattles, despite having a more powerful sound system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

Haven't driven a newer SC, but my 91 is a lot quicker around corners than my 98 SW2. Probably due to the shorter wheelbase. 98 is definitely more refined, but I don't care since the 91 is just a toy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Jeremy97sc
Jeremy97sc is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1997 SC2

I once owned a 95sc2. I currently own a 97sc2.

While my 97sc2 is MUCH faster than my 95 ever was, due to boost of some form or another, Id take the 95 back in a heartbeat.

I love the looks of the 95/6 SC2, I love the racket it made, I loved the cornering abilities which are slightly better than my 97.

1st gen>2nd gen>3rd gen.

99+ dont even have a true 1.9 DOHC head. They are more like the ecotec than a LL0, mainly in the head design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeremy97sc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeremy97sc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeremy97sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

My wife had a 93 SC-2 which origionally came into our family when our daughter bought it used in 95, it had 70+K miles at the time. I currently have a 99 SC-2 I bought about 3 years ago it had less than 12K miles on it then and now has over 125K. Personally I liked the pop-up headlights on the 93. I VERY much like the interior and dash on my 99 better than the 93. I think my 99 is faster and with the exception of the formentioned headlights, I like the overall body style of the 99. At first I was unsure of the 3rd door. When you look at the convoluted seal arangement, I was worried that over time I would develope wind and water leaks. But that has not happened and the third door has proven very convenient.

My wife totaled her 93 last December with over 225K miles on it. We now have a 95 SL-2, (which I purchased new in 95, traded it, bought it back from my brother) in it's place. I LOVE the 95 SL-2. It had the best of both worlds. The 2nd gen interior and the 1st gen body. I never really liked the 2nd gen SL bodys. But the 2nd gen dash and interiors are the best IMOH, another reason I like my 99 SC. I didn't like the 3rd gen dash the way they flattened out and extended the hump. It created an empty spot to the right of the instrument panel that looks like they forgot to put somthing in and it got more hard plastic, seemed cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #9
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy97sc

99+ dont even have a true 1.9 DOHC head. They are more like the ecotec than a LL0, mainly in the head design.
Could you be a bit more specific on this? As I have posted before I have had 93, 95 and 99 DOHC S series cars. Obviously over all this time I have had the opportunity to replace several cam cover gaskets and have had the head off of my 99. I will concede that the cam/lifter arrangement on my 99 is different than on the 93 or 95 but beyond that I saw very little differance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
Jeremy97sc
Jeremy97sc is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1997 SC2

The 99+ DOHC head has more in common with the ecotec than the true LL0.

It has a rolloer rocker cam/lifter/valve design, much higher spring rates, the ports are smaller, the head is physically bigger, it flows worse (but *IS* more efficient). The lifters are physically MUCH smaller and use rockers instead of larger lifters riding on the journals.

So in short, you must not have seen much when you took a look as the differences are insane.

Trust me, Ive got a 02 head and a 97+95 head. The 99+ has NOTHING in common with the early heads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeremy97sc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeremy97sc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeremy97sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy97sc
The 99+ DOHC head has more in common with the ecotec than the true LL0.

So in short, you must not have seen much when you took a look as the differences are insane.

Trust me, Ive got a 02 head and a 97+95 head. The 99+ has NOTHING in common with the early heads.
Well as I said I did notice the differance in the cam and lifters. The 99 is the only one I actually had the head off of. The 93 and 95 have never had to have their heads off only the cam covers, so I was not able to actually inspect the size of the ports to be able to make a comparison.

I have never seen an ecotec apart so I will just have to take your word for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!