SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 08:20 PM   #21
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

The S2000, although a fast car, is not quiet. You have to race the engine up to 5-6k to merge on the freeway, something a normal car with a good torque curve can do at 3k. It redlines at around 8K and has some impressive power output for its size. I think that i would be much more happer with a motorcycle.....would sound the same and would be cheaper :-)

The SI is an interesting car. I have seen times from 7.2-7.6 if you get it in the "sweet spot". I have never seen anyone shift them right. Also, you have to dip it past red-line in order to get those times .... probably not very good for the engine :-)

On a different subject, I took my car in due to the service light (wrench light) problem. Turns out, something got caught in my fan and stalled it. That in turn blew 2 30 amp fuses. So nothing bad happened to the car. I take all my raging comments back about saturns :-) I guess its a good thing the computer monitors the fan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2001, 11:58 AM   #22
LI 350
Advanced Member
LI 350 is on a distinguished road

L300, you hit it in the nose about the SI! And the s2000 redlines a little past 9K (9200-9300 rpm) lol...insane.
My dad's friend has one and he's just about fed up with racer-boys thinking he's challanging them w/ the high revs, when he's just trying to pass them like a 'normal' person. It is a fast car though. Almost feels like a turbo how the vtec kicks in... Twitchy in the turns though, little bit of snap oversteer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LI 350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LI 350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2001, 04:28 PM   #23
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

its past 9k? crazy stuff .... yea, id probably just take a motorcycle. The engine is a bit impressive though that it can take such a beating.

Even though the S2000 is faster and the SI is about the same as my V6 (when shifted properly, etc), i really would take my V6 any day. With the way i drive, i really could use the extra engine life :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2001, 07:51 AM   #24
beasjd

Not to be an *****, but someone please explain how a throttle body or an exhaust "kicks in". I know how N20, or a turbocharger kicks in, but I'm not real sure about the TB or exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beasjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beasjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 09-10-2001, 07:48 PM   #25
SaturnGirlNY
SaturnGirlNY is on a distinguished road

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When an automatic is racing another automatic, where does driver ability enter the equation? I mean, all you're doing is flooring it. Neutral dumping is a no-no, and brake torqueing won't make as big a difference as which car has better gearing. A while ago, a coworker ****ey-boy wanted to race my 5-spd SL2 vs. his auto Accord. Knowing my car was lighter, more torquey, and a stick, I just laughed and said, "What's the point?" [/B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beasjd
"While it doesn't take nearly the amount of skill to race an auto as it does a manual, it does take some. You just can't simply floor it, you have to know your car and know the sweet spot. My car jumps if you hit it just right, but if you floor it, it just bogs down."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Beasjd, you said it better than I could....and I probably would have gotten kicked off the board for what I was going to say. I drive both manual and automatic, so while it does take alot of skill to drive stick, there is also some skill involved in auto....Just like Beasjd said, I've "learned" how to drive the auto to get the most out of it...how to accelerate faster, when it bogs down, which gear I get the most speed out of, ect.... the person I was talking about with the EX doesn't know jack about cars, nor does she care too. She doesn't know the difference between horsepower and torque, RPMs and the speedometer.... So all I'm saying is that my "skill" comes from taking an interest in my car and in my driving.... both things that would make a difference in any race.quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnGirlNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGirlNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread