SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Wrench Additional EGR Cleaning Information

Hello,

Just a quick note on cleaning the EGR valve. Don't know if this is an acceptable way to do this but it seemed to help me so I'm passing on the information. I followed the info, on cleaning the valve, from other posts here---with an exception. If this is not acceptable, someone please correct this post. I have a 97 SL.

I cleaned the outside and inside, and the tip of the pin, of my EGR valve today and it was full of carbon! But flushing with carborator/carbon cleaner didn't do the job and I couldn't reach in the large hole with a tooth brush to clean the carbon off the stem inside that moves up and down. So, with the help of the bright sunlight, I was able to see inside and with a small, eyeglass screwdriver (being careful not to scratch the post) I very carefully removed a heavy coating of the carbon off and at the base of the pin. Couldn't believe how heavy the coating of carbon was! Then I flushed everything really well with the carborator/carbon cleaner and moved the pin up and down to make sure it moved freely. Car's running much better now. Last thing is the fuel filter then I'll be good to go. Very grateful for all the information I received from this site on this and other problems I've had with my Saturn. In fact, I've found this site so helpful, my next car will probably be a Saturn---in a few years.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
Frozen_Earth
Frozen_Earth is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: Additional EGR Cleaning Information

cool, i'm going to clean mine. I don't if its ever been cleaned; I know for sure it hasn't been cleaned for at least 100,000 km.

350,000 km and still ridin high.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frozen_Earth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frozen_Earth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

I'd be careful. The hardened steel on that jewelry screwdriver could scratch the pintle and cause more binding down the road. Soak the chamber with STP throttle body cleaner, and then insert a Torx driver into the fitting at the end of the shaft. While moving the shaft in and out, rotate the driver back and forth until the valve is free. Another shot of cleaner and you're all set. With this method, I'm still on the original EGR valve at 375,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dieseljack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dieseljack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
mmfranks
mmfranks is on a distinguished road

I cleaned mine with throtle body cleaner and a toothbrush pushing the valve up and down. It cleared my P1406 OBD 2 engine code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmfranks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmfranks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread