SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
almost200K
almost200K is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Saturns are Chick Cars??

This article below is from www.thecarconnection.com

Polk: Men Like Power, Women Like Practical - Shocking!

A survey by R.L. Polk shows that when it comes to buying cars, men seem to go for power under the hood, while women value practical and sensible cars more. Also, the auto research firm reported: women are better listeners than men when it comes to couples' communications; men prefer to control the TV remote; and most men would rather watch a James Bond film festival than a Trading Spaces marathon. Actually, the survey didn't say those last three things, but we would have greeted those findings with equal surprise. Based on at least 1000 new vehicle registrations per model surveyed, the top five vehicles based on having the highest percentage of male owners are Dodge Viper (93.7 percent), BMW M5 (92.6 percent), Porsche 911 (88.8 percent), Audi A8 (87.6 percent), and GMC Sierra (87.4 percent). Using the same formula, the vehicles with the highest percentage of female owners last year was Toyota RAV4 (57.4 percent), Saturn SC (56.1 percent), Saturn SL (54.5 percent), Saturn ION (53.9 percent), and Kia Sportage (53.6 percent). And who says Saturns are for girls? Polk says Saturn came out on top with women because women like the division's no-haggle dealership practice, which takes the hucksterism out of the new-car purchase. -Jim Burt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to almost200K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help almost200K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
soccer69er
soccer69er is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

i read an article saying that the target demographic of the 2nd gen s-series were for middle aged women.

1996 Saturn SL - 5spd, *STOCK* 36 mpg FTW!!!
2005 Nissan 350z Roadster

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soccer69er's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soccer69er reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

About a year ago, I read an article on the Ion that said the target demographic for the Ion was the mid-20 year old male who makes $40k-$50k per year.

I'd have to say, of the Ion's I've seen around here, it're pretty split down the middle for male vs female.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I don't think I've ever noticed another male driving an ION. Every ION driver I've ever noticed in the past year has been a middle aged woman.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I'm male and go the practical route. In that list above I don't think I could comfortably afford any of the listed 'guy,' cars.

There have not been that many Ions spotted by myself in my area this past year. Most of the time I have seen them only while I am in for service and most of the drivers have been male.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:06 PM   #6
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I'm with Jase on this one. I have always been a practical one. I have always liked the look of sedans, especially sporty ones. As far as those cars in the list, if I could afford any of them it would have to be either the Sierra or the M5 because I like the look of both.

I have seen quite a few Ions here in this area. Id say the percentage for Ions I have seen have been 50 % men, 50% women.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
BlueIonDriver
BlueIonDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

well, I remember hearing the ion QCs were made for the younger maie crowd. Although my GF bought hers first, i followed up quickly, but the other guy in my area that has a QC, his is hooked up almost as much as mine is. So they are definantly targeted towards the younger male tuner crowd

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueIonDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have only seen one other male driving an ION besides myself and he had the cap on backwards, sun glasses after sunset, and a loud radio.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:33 PM   #9
Newion
Newion is on a distinguished road

Default Driver

The brochure has a twenty something girl / lady talking about the ION. So where do I fit, an over 50 male, actually pushing 60 is exercise enough. A lot of the guys want to show off with their choice of cars. I don't care, I am too practical. I have been fast and know what its like, I do not need to try and relive my youth. I played rugby, raced at the track, surfed big waves. The tractor and the ION will keep me happy. I do have a 3/4 ton Chev. The car in the photo got more looks than the ION.
Newion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bentley.jpg (30.1 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Newion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Newion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Darvell
Darvell is on a distinguished road

I'm a 36-year-old male and I love my ION. Once I test-drove the coupe, I wasn't even interested in driving the sedan. I wanted one. It "was me." My wife might suggest that my real age doesn't match my "car-buying age." I enjoy playing video games as much as my sons do.

I believe that the reason women buy Saturns more than man is because the haggling process intimidates women more and they don't think they can get a good deal by haggling. Saturns don't require haggling so they know they can't "get screwed" by the dealer. Simple reasoning. Urban legend, maybe. But it makes sense to me. (The best deals that I've gotten on cars are private sales where I lowballed the owner, only wanting the car if I got a great deal, and got it. Of course, it hasn't worked every time and you have to accept that.)

Darvell

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Darvell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Darvell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:56 PM   #11
rotax14
rotax14 is on a distinguished road

i was told that it is aimed at the hounda tuner crowd. that saturn wants to change it's image as the consertive car and wants to start making them more known in the tuner world. and i agree i always looked at saturns as old peoples cars and ugly looking. the ion and vue are the first saturns i ever looked at more then once. i hope they keep it up and produce more cars with the tuner concept in mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rotax14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rotax14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #12
DaggNabbitt
DaggNabbitt is on a distinguished road

I'm a man, or at least was b4 I got married, and drive aN ION. The retards at the V6 Mustang site said the same thing about their own cars, that onlu pvssies drive V6ers, and real men drive V8s. Well it can be said about lite beer too, or ordering a scotch with a mixer in it, "drink it straight like a man" my dad would say, buy hey he's divorced twice and his kids hate him, so what kind of man is that.

Be your own dude, and punch anyone in the mouth who says otherwise has always been my motto.

Then pee on him standing up and see if they think your a man or not. Hhahahahahahahahahha..... sorry, lost my mind there for a sec.

Just be yourself and screw what any1 else thinks! IMO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaggNabbitt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaggNabbitt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:25 PM   #13
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I believe the truth lies in the final part of the article. For many woman buyers, its not the car its the Saturn sales policies.
As for driver sightings, there are now plenty of IONs here on the roads in PA. Many are driven by women but I see lots also driven by men other than me. An approximate 54/46 split puts plenty of men behind an ION steering wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #14
SpiderWebb
SpiderWebb is on a distinguished road

I think power is practical, especially where I live where there are alot of mountains/hills.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpiderWebb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpiderWebb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread