SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Wrench Cleaning the Combustion Camber Using Water?

Do I just take off the intake tube and spray water with the spray bottle or what?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

I take the intake tube off of the throttle body, and pour the water (slowly) in front of the throttle plate. The airflow will "suck" the water into the engine. Make sure you rev the engine up to about 2000 rpm when you do this, and start with a small amount of water until the engine starts to bog a little...

This has a greater effect if done when the engine is hot.

If you want a good indication of what gets flushed out of the engine, look on the pavement under the tailpipe after five minutes of this.

I do mine every couple of months or so... No pinging, unless I lug it in 5th...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Interesting, never heard of this procedure. Cleans the cylinder you say? Gets rid of carbon, or just cleans the surfaces?

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Saturn-Eh!

"steam cleans" the combustion chamber. The same thing happens with a blown head gakset, coolant/water will clean the cylinder out completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Would misting with a spray bottle accomplish the same thing? Not sure how comfortable I would be pouring water into the throttle body. Definitely interested in this cleaning procedure though.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:55 PM   #6
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

I once heard a story about a mechanic who did this regularly for people. His assistant thought that he would do it just like the mechanic did, only he poured too much water in. The results were not pretty I hear. Moral of the story is to be careful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... interesting. I would also feel safer misting with a spray bottle.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 05:05 AM   #8
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

Harry,
A product called "SeaFoam" has the same effect, only greater cleaning power, and it's safer than water. I'd try it, it helped my friend pass smog.
It's easy to use, you just pull the vacuum line from your brake booster and stick it in the can and then start the car. It'll either suck the bottle dry and keep running, or the car will stall. If it sucks the can dry and keeps running, turn it off and let it sit for about 45 minutes. (If the car stalls, start it up again, until it sucks out all the seafoam.) After the 45 minutes, start the car. (you may have to keep the car running with a little throttle.)
Warning: The car is gonna smoke like CRAZY!! This is the crud burning off, this is good. I just did to my cousin's car and I plan to do it to my SC2. You MIIIIGHT have to buy new spark plugs after using SeaFoam, because SOMETIMES it fouls them...But it's really good to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:50 AM   #9
haplo06
haplo06 is on a distinguished road

Hello there, anyone know where to get sea foam in canada or it's equal.....I have never heard of it before.
thank's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haplo06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haplo06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:30 PM   #10
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

I wonder what effect this has on the two o2 sensors and the 2 cats in my car's emissions system.
All that junk has to pass by them on the way out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:39 PM   #11
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by auxmike
I wonder what effect this has on the two o2 sensors and the 2 cats in my car's emissions system.
All that junk has to pass by them on the way out.
Hmmm... That is a good point. I just put a new cat on, don't want to clog it already.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:58 PM   #12
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

I would like to try this out, just need a real good idea about how much water exactly to use and at what rate should the engine consume that amount. I am not looking to destroy my engine at this time as the new one is not yet built.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
amazinghl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn-Eh!

If you want a good indication of what gets flushed out of the engine, look on the pavement under the tailpipe after five minutes of this.

I poured at least a qt of water in the engine. Tailpipe had NOTHING come out.

Also, is steam suppose to come out at the valve cover hole where it connects to the air intake tube?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 04:12 PM   #14
auxmike

Perhaps you should drain your oil and see if the water ended up in the crankcase.Don't think you should see steam coming out the valve cover!
You are a brave soul,I give you credit for trying this,I hope it's done no harm to the internals though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #15
amazinghl
Master Member

Thanks for your useful reply.

In case you don't know, the by-product of combustion is water.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #16
auxmike

Quote:
Originally posted by amazinghl

In case you don't know, the by-product of combustion is water.
Yes,from the tailpipe it's normal,but not usually from the valve cover vent tube!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #17
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

A quart eh? How did you trickle the water in, and how much at a time?

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 08:47 PM   #18
Saturn-Eh!

Perhaps some clarification...

When I do this, I will end up using between a quart and a gallon of water, depending on the degree of carbon deposits/pinging I suspect the engine has.

Remember - have the engine hot...

I will pour the water into the throttle body (remember... High idle!about 2000 rpm) at about the same rate one would pour cream into a cup of coffee... in a stream about 1/4" around... If done correctly, then engine will start to stumble, at which point I will open the throttle a little further. I try to reach a median with the engine stumbling slightly at about 2000 rpm. at this speed, after

a quart of water at this rate will have you pouring for about two minutes, a gallon closer to 5 or 6 minutes...

As long as the engine is running and not stumbling badly or stalling, you run no risk of hydraulically locking/damaging your engine.

The byproduct of this procedure is steam, and carbon... nothing that will harm a catalytic converter. If you start pouring solvents/cleaners into the engine, then the converter will have to deal with their byproducts, but unless you pour solvents/cleaners for a long long time, your converter is safe.

Steam from the valve cover tube is normal, and may be increased over normal (as AmazingHL pointed out, water vapour is a byproduct of the combustion of gasoline) depending on the ring wear in your engine. Unless you stalled the engine, or accidentally poured the water into the oil filler cap, water will not end up in your crankcase...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 09:46 PM   #19
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

As far as clogging the O2 sensor or catalytic converter, unless the cleaner has some bizarre in-organic compounds like lead or something in it, there shouldn't be any permanent harm. If carbon does get on them, running the engine at a fast idle for a few minutes should clean off at least the O2 sensor, and probably the converter as well..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #20
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

I did this today with a spray bottle and didn't really notice much of any difference. I probably didn't use enough water. I used a full spray bottle, maybe 16 oz or so, and held the throttle open and just sprayed it in. it got slightly stumbly a couple times, but i just compensated a bit with the throttle. Not sure if it did any good. Didn't really notice anything making it out the tailpipe.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread