SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 09:53 AM   #1
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Wrench Torque Axis Mount System (TAMS)

Clarification.........

TORQUE AXIS MOUNT SYSTEM (TAMS)

The Saturn powertrain mounting system is called:
Torque Axis Mount System (TAMS).

It features four mounts:

Two to support the weight of the powertran.
Two to control powertrain torque motions.

The "transaxle mount" is located beneath the transacle, on the left side of the vehicle. The mount supports the weight of the transaxle, with a conventional compression pad, assists in controlling pitch with two fore/aft bumpers, limits lateral motion to the left with a bumper, and prevents vertical rebound with another bumper. The mount attaches directly to the transacle and attaches to the cradle, through a bracket bonded to the compression pad.

The "engine mount" is located on the right side of the vehicle, high on the powetrain, between the engine front cover and the right side body midrail. The mount consists of two fore/after bumpers, to assist in controlling pitch, a shear pad to support the weight of the engine, and two lateral bumpers to limit side to side motion. The mount attaches to the engine front cover with an aluminum insert and attaches to the body midrail through a bracket that stands off of the midrail.

The "engine strut" is located beneath the engine crankshaft pulley, on the right side of the vehicle. It consists of a torque strut, a bracket attached to the engine, and another bracket attached to the cradle. The purpose of the torque strut is to limit powertrain vibration and pitch.

The "transaxle strut" is located slightly above and forward of the transaxle, on the left side of the vehicle. It consists of a torque strut, a braket attached to the transaxle, and another bracket attached to the cradle. The purpose of the torque strut is to limit powertrain vibration and pitch.

Source: Service Manual, Chassis
Pg 96 CHPM, Powertrain Mounts, General Description

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Changed Transaxle Mount

Well, this morning I went through the effort to change my transmission mount (transaxle). I started shortly before 8am and finished just short of 2pm. Granded, Wolf would probably have been able to do it within a half hour window (and that would have included taking some calls wishing him a happy father's day & a short breakfast. )

Anyway, on a serious note, the factory service manual implies that all that is necessary is to lift the transmission up, and slip out the mount. Well, at a certain lift, the transmission and engine would end up lifting the entire driver's side of the car. It would not lift high enough to be able to remove the old mount. After removing the battery, it's base and loosening the transmission strut, I determined that it would be necessary to lift the engine's upper mount, also. After taking the two engine upper support nuts, I was able to lift and shift the trans/engine to remove the mount. That is not enough, the new mount required more lift to be able to slip it into it's slot.

In examining the old unit, I found that it had substantially shrunk. This had to be failing for more than a YEAR. With that said, in the future, I would strongly suggest that if one feels that the upper engine mount needs to be replaced, then the probability that the transmission mount has also, and equally, failed, is very high--and it should also at the same time be replaced.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:04 AM   #3
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Man, I couldn't get anyone to tell me about this stuff. Some people say one thing and some say another. Now I know exactly what I'm buying from saturnparts.com

This explanation helped a lot! Thanks!

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Welcome -- Actually this entire section has become a considerably valuable, and growing library.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 06-17-2004, 02:53 AM   #5
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Luke, how much did that trans mount cost you? my parts guy is on crack.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

My cost was $45.03, described as "Mount ASM-T" (purchased: 6/09/03) #21012951. I cannot over stress the importance of replacing that unit, should you have found it necessary to replace the Upper Engine Mount. If the upper unit has gone, the probability of the lower transmission unit failing is simply to high to ignore.

They ( the two units ) "share" the burden.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 06-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #7
sierrap615
Master Member

thanks, when i called him up first he said it was a two-peice(one peice costed $59 the other $80), then said a timing chain was $195. and he keep confusing my model and year.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke
My cost was $45.03, described as "Mount ASM-T" (purchased: 6/09/03) #21012951. I cannot over stress the importance of replacing that unit, should you have found it necessary to replace the Upper Engine Mount. If the upper unit has gone, the probability of the lower transmission unit failing is simply to high to ignore.
I had to change my upper engine mount but I can't find that part #21012951 for my car. I might need to change mine because the upper engine mount is shot. Is there even one in my '92 SL2?? I can't find it anywhere online or even in the repair manual I think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

If your car is an automatic, I can't conceive of the engine/transmission being different. With that in mind,

The unit is technically called a "Transaxle Mount", and I stress "Mount", not the strut.

The stock number I took from the billing invoice. Of course, this is always the probability, though remote, that Saturn has changed the stock number, to that of an upgraded unit.

BTW, I believe that you will not find the unit in any repair manual by using the stock number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 06-18-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

I have a stick...do I still have a transaxle mount? I did find it in the repair manual. Also, is it that hard to change the upper engine mount? The mechanic said $45 to put it in. I think I could do it unless I have to go under the car and adjust/re-tighten the lower engine mounts.

Here is what I would do.
- place jack under oil pan w/ block inbetween
- unfasten two bolts on upper mount
- jack up enough to relieve stress weight from mount
- unfasten 3 stud nuts on mount
- remove mount
(now I have new studs if I need those then I will use them, if not then I won't)
- place new mount on
- tighten 3 stud nuts to 35-37 ft/lbs
- lower the jack some
- attach mount to chassis (how tight is this supposed to be?)

If that's all then I'll do it. As long as I don't have to do anything extra except maybe change the bolts out. I got the part #2012185 (I think) from saturnparts.com. Do you think I'll need the new bolts?
I'm not sure what size the stud nuts are. I don't have any metric sockets to match the torque wrench I'm borrowing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2004, 02:11 AM   #11
sierrap615
Master Member

its not hard to change the upper mount, but you can make a royal mess if you don't be careful. jack up the engine to much and you will destroy the oil pan, if not more.

wolfman did a how-to a while back:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=24000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread