SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
owl_dyson
owl_dyson is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default ABS wheel senosr bypass.

So my ABS light has been on since i bought the car. I figured out it was because the front right wheel was missing the sensor. it look like someone had tried to replace it, but the head snapped off and the thread is stuck inside. i tried to remove it but there is no way it will come out. So i just decided to put a piece of wire in the connector. it did work, the light went away and trac is working now. i havent driven the car yet, so i don't know if it might cause any problems. has anyone done this before or could thing of any problems this might make? thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to owl_dyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help owl_dyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
owl_dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: ABS wheel senosr bypass.

Works perfect until you hit 5mph when the system self-tests and the light will be back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Abs and traction control are automatically disabled when self tests fail. Two self tests are performed. A static test when ignition is turned on (all indicators are cycled on as every electronic module performs their own power on self test then turn off indicators as each module passes self tests. The abs indicator cycles on and if initial self tests pass, turns off its abs light. A second abs test is performed when the car moves. As mentioned, at approximately 5 mph, all abs wheel speed sensors send signals to the abs unit. The abs unit also cycles the motor - you'll hear a zinging sound like a spring unwinding. If wheel speed sensors and abs motor are operational, the abs light remains off otherwise it turns on to indicate an abs/tc problem. When the abs light turns on, abs and traction control are disabled from interfering with braking. Regular braking is never compromised. Without abs you'll have braking as always but locking up brakes can appear when brakes are applied on uneven surfaces during emergency stops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
owl_dyson

2002 SC2
Default Re: ABS wheel sensor bypass.

yes i went for a short drive and the light quickly came back on. i think i will just take the bulb out of the cluster so i don't see the annoying light all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help owl_dyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Update your profile to reflect what you're driving so no one has to play twenty questions with you. If this is just a broken sensor, take a snapshot, resize the image for acceptance as a thumbnail image (aloud around a megabyte and jpeg format) and post it. Maybe someone will have a solution to get your abs back to operating condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

When my sensor ring departed, I pulled the ABS fuse. I think that makes the light stay off.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #7
owl_dyson

2002 SC2

i pulled the 50amp fuse but it the light stayed on, as well as the servise and brake light. i am going to install white faced gauges so i'll just take out the light then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

I can't remember off the top of my head if the knuckle has to come off or not to change these out (probably not), but I've drilled out the remains of the old sensor and installed a replacement. If it is the bolt that has snapped off due to rust, a replacement knuckle from the JY with the ABS sensor could be used.

When I searched for a new ABS sensor around 2013 prices varied widely.

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote