SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default A/C Scroll valve experiment

There was speculation that the spring behind the scroll valve was more likely the cause of lack of idle cooling than the valve. I had a compressor I'd replaced 4 years ago because of a scroll valve problem (before we understood this issue very well). A few weeks ago I replaced only the valve (not the spring) and put the compressor back in service. On 100F days its blowing very cold at idle. So, while I imagine there could be a situation where the spring could be bad, it doesn't appear likely to be the common cause. Also, since the spring lives in the refrigeration environment it should have almost exposure to moisture of oxidation.
I'm somewhat suspicious that the valve may collect refrigeration oil and get gummed up but I can't prove it.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Scroll valve experiment

Unfortunately, time may tell to learn whether or not the valve, spring or both are needed to address scroll control valve issues. Are there any explanations for these failures?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

The improvement with changing just the valve was instant. From hot air at idle to cold air at idle. I'm not sure if I could cut the old valve up without destroying it. But gumped up with refrigeration oil is my best guess. Not really other containiments from the factory that should affect it that much.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
The improvement with changing just the valve was instant. From hot air at idle to cold air at idle. I'm not sure if I could cut the old valve up without destroying it. But gumped up with refrigeration oil is my best guess. Not really other containiments from the factory that should affect it that much.

-Robert
I have a few thoughts to throw in mix.

One retailer of the valve indicates common failure is a clogged valve caused by debris in line, contaminated PAG oil and/or the ultimate sin of someone -using leak sealer.

I tested a new valve with a can of air (Ultra Duster) and noted there was free airflow between input end (flat) and output end (spring end).

I tested a valve I replaced three years ago and there was no flow. I used an Allen wrench to back the top threaded portion out a couple of turns and then kept pressure on input end for a few seconds. Bingo - I had airflow through the valve. (FYI - those wimpy little spray cans will develop up to 50 PSI at the outlet spigot - I didn't know that).

Simply said - the valve operates as a check valve - there is flow one way but not the other. I suppose this makes sense because valve purpose is to monitor low-side pressure and "vent" a proportional amount to high-side to regulate compressor displacement between 6.5 and 100%.

Another interesting item - I've noted several internet threads (mostly Ford forums) where individuals and A/C shops were removing the valve and then reinstalling with spring on bottom. The universal claim was the A/C worked perfectly at all RPM levels and I suppose it would since the variable displacement would default to 100% or thereabouts.

But wait - if the valve is clogged - as my old one appeared to be - what difference would it make if the spring was pushing on bottom rather than on top?

The only plausible answer (to me) is pushing valve deeply into cylinder - bottoming-out - apparently opens an alternate path between low-side and high-side?

Finally, the same valve is apparently used with all engines and all years of Vue (02-07). I wonder if its just me or if data will support that most valve issues appear to be with newer Vue's. I take care of 4 Vues: 05, 06 and two 07 and have had A/C problem with one 07 only (at 120,000 miles). The 06 Vue is nearing 150,000 and probably has the best A/C of my small herd.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote