SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2
Default Looking (way) ahead, Larz Anderson Museum Extinct Car Day 2015

So, I'm at work, and its cold and the holidays are over and I was allowing my mind to wander to the possibility of expanding on last year's successful meetup at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum near Boston. A number of people expressed interest in joining us for the next one, so I just thought I'd collect a show of hands for people who are thinking of attending this year. The Lawn Event schedule isn't up yet for 2015, but in recent years, it was the last Saturday in October.

I'm just curious how many people we can get to this event... if large enough, I may try to add some other features to the weekend if people are interested. For example, one thing I thought was a blast when I attended the CORSA convention in Sturbridge, Mass in 2012 was the road rally. I can give more details of what I have in mind, but it was a low-key fun event invloving cars that had a driver and a navigator, the latter who had to decipher clues along the way. It had people driving a beautiful course throughout central Massachusetts. There was a checkpoint at a kind of drive-in/ice cream and hot dog type place that sort of functioned as a mid-event cruise. New England can be quite beautiful with the foliage the time of year of the Extinct Car show, so I imagine a lovely course could be planned in the area.

However, it won't work if there are only 5 people, especially if one of them (say, me for example) is the one who plans the route and makes up the questions (I may be able to enlist the help of people from other car clubs to plan the course if I wanted to participate).

So anyway, I'm just putting out feelers to see how many people might be interested in a SCCNA weekend event with the Extinct Car Show and some kind of rally/cruise type thing perhaps on Sunday (assuming the show is on Saturday). Who knows, perhaps we can invite some of the other extinct car owners to our rally to make it a bigger thing.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 204,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Looking (way) ahead, Larz Anderson Museum Extinct Car Day 2015

I would love to; being 21 hours away, each way, would make it somewhat more difficult though.

Some here may calculate their trip by how many quarts of oil it would take. For example, mine:

- If I took the Red Hot, I would need to take along 14 quarts of oil.

- If I took Creampuff, I would only need to take along 1 quart of oil.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Liger95
Liger95 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

The rally idea sounds great! I'll be there if I manage to have enough gas in the tank when it comes time to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Liger95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Liger95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Liger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Count me in. When I was a kid the highlight of my year was Christmas, now it's the Extinct Car show.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

I like the idea...although:

1) I've seen a youtube of the 2012 event and it looks as if owners have put a lot of time into restoring their "extincts". I'd feel silly showing up in my daily driver which, although in good shape, has a few noticeable "warts" (paint chips).

2) It being on the east coast (at least WAY easy of here !) kind of makes it undoable for any of us who live , say, in the southwest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Of course, the distance will be too great for some people. I encourage people to look for similar events in their area to start a regional tradition that's accessible to others as well.

As to the cars, admittedly, one of the things I love about the Larz Anderson is that it's not snobby. Still, there is a growing appreciation for "survivor" cars. Our cars are historically significant and worthy of representation in low key car shows. Most of us haven't restored our cars to the level where I'd bring them, say, to Pebble Beach, but we were treated respectfully at the Larz Anderson event, and many people were interested enough to come and look at our cars and talk to us. You'd be surprised.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

A quick internet search seems to indicate that this is a unique event only in the Boston area.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

One obvious event would be an extinct Homecoming in Spring Hill, Tenn. one summer in the future.

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
One obvious event would be an extinct Homecoming in Spring Hill, Tenn. one summer in the future.
Agreed; now that I can get into!!

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

^^^^ as long as everyone brings something - I'll bring the potato salad

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
It's my goal to work towards that.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
A quick internet search seems to indicate that this is a unique event only in the Boston area.
You may have to be creative in your searching. I did find some "orphan" car shows in the midwest, though the one in Branson, MO cuts off the cars as 1985 and older, which eliminates our Saturns.

The lawn events at the Larz Anderson are created by demand and sometimes change depending on interest. If there's an Auto Museum or some such, perhaps an enterprising soul can recommend that they have a event that features extinct/orphan cars.

The only reason I'm recommending this is that it helps to have an event to piggyback onto until we get enough interest to carry it alone, say in Spring Hill, or other revolving national events.

As wonderful a time as I had with dummo, jsevinsk, I-4 and 700+SL2, it would have been a very different event if the 5 of us (and our assorted family members) had met in a parking lot somewhere. Once we.can gather enough people, we can carry our own car shows/events, but until then, I figure it works best if we can overlay our meet up with other appropriate automotive events. If there's no extinct/orphan car event in your region, there must be some other kind of event or cruise where several Saturn fans can appropriately mix. So,.for those who can't make it to Boston, I recommend that you see what's appropriate (or look for an opportunity to create one such as an orphan car event where you might get broader participation). Be creative! If you're successful, even a small group.of Saturn enthusiasts can be a really wonderful experience.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1

Man, I really wish I could meet up with you guys this year....
Hey, I have an idea, why don't we make a shirt that says "SCCNA 2nd Annual Meeting"?

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

^^^^ Shirts are no problem. theres a white zazzle shirt that is the cheapest at about $15.

Just an idea to consider: Have Saturnfans plan to meet at a car show, cruise night or race in the parking lot and tailgate. My brother used to meet his old high school buds at a weekend race at Limerock Speedway in Connecticut every summer.

Even a one day activity like a meet up at a ski resort on a Saturday. I like to cross country ski in the winter, mainly because it's hard to do in the summer.

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #15
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Agreed; now that I can get into!!
Yeah...Even though it's 1,700 miles from here, that's about 1,000 miles closer that the extinct show. I'd be up for that (and I'm pretty sure my little SW2 would be, too).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #16
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Yes, a Spring Hill reunion would be the best; it's not centered & close to "everyone, but would be the best choice overall.

We'd be fighting one thing though..... Most people who were into Saturns don't have them anymore; they moved on to other cars. So we could not expect to attract several hundred people. It would be us & some diehards.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Yes, a Spring Hill reunion would be the best; it's not centered & close to "everyone, but would be the best choice overall.

We'd be fighting one thing though..... Most people who were into Saturns don't have them anymore; they moved on to other cars. So we could not expect to attract several hundred people. It would be us & some diehards.
Actually, the original homecomings attracted tens of thousands of people. If we can launch a serious club of Saturn enthusiasts, I would hope to attract as many as a hundred people to such an event. Even 50 or more would be a win for me.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:37 AM   #18
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Somehow, the original intent of this thread just died on the vine. So far, we have Dummo and myself going. Anyone else thinking of making it to this? I know Upstate Saturn was going to try to make it, in which case she would definitely earn the long-distance award.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #19
I-4
I-4 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Count me in. These can be a lot of fun, I have done a couple before with the Miata and have had a good time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help I-4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
I-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #20
700+SL2
700+SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1993 SW2

I'm always up for this and my 95 "should" be back together by then. And I like the idea of some sort of road rally event.

As far as a bigger event goes, a number of years ago a fellow Jeep club organized a Jeep rally. 1st yr 200 Jeeps showed up. 2nd yr 400+. Then had to relocate twice and is now 1000+ yearly. I know Jeep owners are more group friendly but maybe you can start something and it'll grow yearly.

Ressurecting a 1995 SL2 mileage unknown.
...and a 95 SW2 207K
...and a 93 SW2 140K
...and a 00 LS2 95K
...and a 01 LW300 112K

99 SW2 parts wagon
94 SW2 parts wagon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 700+SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 700+SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
700+SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote