SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
Millhouse
Millhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Sad Sadness......

Well its was killing me but after 27 days of ownership I have decided to return my ION under the 30 day gaurentee. I don't think I have ever had such a sad day(car related anyways). Its gonna suck walking to work.
I hope that everyone else is having better luck than I did with thier ION (I read about lots of happy people every day ) I want to say I felt about 1mm tall when I told them. But to Saturns credit they so nice about it.
I am not going to say anything bad about Saturn at all if anyone asks in the future, I will tell em "go for it". I guess I got the 1 in a million bad ones and in the end it just wasn't the right car for me.

Thanks to all the nice people I have chatted with on the board.

J.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Millhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Millhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #2
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Haha, I can think of 6 specific people that predicted this. I am proud of you actually, because you were having a lot of discontents. Good luck with whatever you choose in the future!

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
csdibiase
csdibiase is on a distinguished road

And thus, why Saturn's return policy is a great thing. Good luck with the walking and/or car shopping though. Hope you don't have to settle for a Civic like everyone else instead hehe.

On the bright side at least you don't drive like I did... I ran out of miles to return the car after about 16-17 days hehe. Not that I want to return mine but there was the nagging desire to go back to automatic while I went through the pain or relearning stick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csdibiase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csdibiase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:59 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Best of luck with your next vehicle. I'm glad Saturn took back the Ion without any problems, since it is better for them in the end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Take care, Millhouse. I'm glad that you're making a choice that will probably be better for you in the end. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a car that I'm unhappy with, so I think you are making the right decision. It did appear to me that there were a few issues with your car that seemed a little abnormal, but that was just my opinion.

If you could, after the return, maybe you could write Saturn an email about why you didn't like the car. They always claim to forward this stuff to their R&D departments.

Regardless, please feel free to come by every once in a while and chat with us. Many of us love talking about cars... Even if it isn't about Saturns. And hey... Let me know what you end up getting, if you don't mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Millhouse

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Just as an update for the ION owners out there. I posted a while ago that I had an intense squeek from the from the front end. Well on the second trip to the dealer I got it fixed today. It was a blown strut. Just in case anyone has the noise in theirs. (I really doubt it tho, seems like a 1 in a million )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Millhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Millhouse
Just as an update for the ION owners out there. I posted a while ago that I had an intense squeek from the from the front end. Well on the second trip to the dealer I got it fixed today. It was a blown strut. Just in case anyone has the noise in theirs. (I really doubt it tho, seems like a 1 in a million )
Does that mean that you're keeping it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:44 PM   #8
Millhouse

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd
Does that mean that you're keeping it?
No it doesn't but I allready had the appointment set so it is one less thing they have to do when I take it back. (and it was buggin me to know what is was. The first tech said it couldn't be in the suspension and said it was in the dash. Huh? "I only hear it with the window down" is what I said. The second Tech was like "in the dash, huh?" , "the struts cooked" )

I knew I was right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
orenero
orenero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No it doesn't but I allready had the appointment set so it is one less thing they have to do when I take it back. (and it was buggin me to know what is was. The first tech said it couldn't be in the suspension and said it was in the dash. Huh? "I only hear it with the window down" is what I said. The second Tech was like "in the dash, huh?" , "the struts cooked" )

I knew I was right.
I'm not saying American cars are bad and Im not going to use your example as the end all be all. But I will say in general in my personal experience and others that there is a serious lack of quality control on American Cars, especially GM. My z24 has been through so much problems similar to milhouse but 10 times worse. Don't get me wrong they are great cars, but they are not in my opinion up to standards with quality as in this example and im sorry they are not meant for the long haul, not yet at least. To me 140k is not a lot of miles and I expect a lot more without having the tranmissison worked on 5 times, thats just un called for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orenero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orenero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:59 PM   #10
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by orenero
I'm not saying American cars are bad and Im not going to use your example as the end all be all. But I will say in general in my personal experience and others that there is a serious lack of quality control on American Cars, especially GM. My z24 has been through so much problems similar to milhouse but 10 times worse. Don't get me wrong they are great cars, but they are not in my opinion up to standards with quality as in this example and im sorry they are not meant for the long haul, not yet at least. To me 140k is not a lot of miles and I expect a lot more without having the tranmissison worked on 5 times, thats just un called for.
Maybe you're just unlucky, but I've known plenty of people that have had just as many problematic "imports." My buddy's new Accord is smoking like crazy. Something's burning, and we can't tell what it is. My girlfriend's Accord has had endless problem after problem. My old Eclipse burnt oil like crazy and a clutch began to fail at 70k miles. My friend's Mazda is having a million problems at one time. Leaks, bad CV boots/joins, and more. It's just the way things go. Sometimes, cars fail because they are made by humans, who are less than perfect.

Then again, I wouldn't trust a Cavalier at all. That might be the cause of your problem. It's good that they've at least adopted a decent engine for those things now. However, I had a Sunbird that lasted a pretty long time (and those are just Cavaliers). It just depends... Sometimes you draw the short straw. And that goes for imports as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2003, 06:53 PM   #11
LynnF
LynnF is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sadness......

Quote:
Well its was killing me but after 27 days of ownership I have decided to return my ION under the 30 day gaurentee.

Thanks to all the nice people I have chatted with on the board.

J.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Millhouse. I missed some of your problems posts I guess, but you've been one of the regulars I've been aware of since I got here. No question of simply trying a different ION?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LynnF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LynnF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

If I was you, I would go and buy an ION quad coupe. I know a lot of your problems were with the tranny. The quad coupe has the VTi which you can't feel shift at all. I had almost all of the problems you did with my car too. I couldn't sleep for weeks trying to decide if I should return it or not. This is my very first car, it means a lot to me, and I was very dissapointed. It been exactly 2 months today, and I couldn't be happier. MY tranny is shifting much smoother, my car rides much better overall,and the best part is, it's still improving every day! I originally planned to keep this car for a couple of years (just through school) then buy something better. After owning the ION for 2 months, I don't ever want to get rid of it. I'm gonna keep it forever...lol

Go buy yourself a nice new Quad Coupe 3 with the VTi...you'll own one of the coolest looking cars on the road, and it will solve many of your problems!

Give the ION another chance...and GOOD LUCK!

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2003, 09:38 PM   #13
Millhouse

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks for the kind words. And to KrgION03 I am glad I am not the only one.It was my first car too. I also know all about the worry and sleepless nights. I thought a new car would be a peacefull expearience but I guess I was wrong. I am glad that yours is working out for you tho I just didn't know what to do, maybe mine is like yours and will get better or maybe it is a sign of things to come. Impossible to tell. I am not sure about the QC. Maybe I will have a look when I take the "3" back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2003, 09:59 PM   #14
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

You gotta do what makes you happy. When they corporate wants to know why, let em know so that they might address these issues. Nobody wants a car that is noisy where it shouldn't be, particularly before the first payment was due.

I'd buy 2 years old with a good credit-union rate if I were you. Save cash and drive something really nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
orenero
orenero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd
Maybe you're just unlucky, but I've known plenty of people that have had just as many problematic "imports." My buddy's new Accord is smoking like crazy. Something's burning, and we can't tell what it is. My girlfriend's Accord has had endless problem after problem. My old Eclipse burnt oil like crazy and a clutch began to fail at 70k miles. My friend's Mazda is having a million problems at one time. Leaks, bad CV boots/joins, and more. It's just the way things go. Sometimes, cars fail because they are made by humans, who are less than perfect.

Then again, I wouldn't trust a Cavalier at all. That might be the cause of your problem. It's good that they've at least adopted a decent engine for those things now. However, I had a Sunbird that lasted a pretty long time (and those are just Cavaliers). It just depends... Sometimes you draw the short straw. And that goes for imports as well.
Yeah Maybe so. I would say other than that my car has been good to me. Damn love my for car is making me take it in tonight to get looked at. I am gonna see how much its gonna be to fix her, man I miss my z24. Hopefully i'll be cruisin with her soon again, my goal is to hit 200k .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orenero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orenero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread