SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Jerry52992
Jerry52992 is on a distinguished road

Mad Reverse issue

I have a 2001 SL1, sometimes (but not always) especially when it's just being started after sitting all night, when I put it in reverse it does nothing for severel seconds and then SLAMS into reverse, shaking the whole car. What could cause this issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jerry52992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jerry52992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jerry52992 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Reverse issue

Reverse slam is indicative of needing new transmission electronics, usually.

The repair procedure my roommate has taken with the countless Saturns he's acquired for cheap because of reverse slam is valve body. Alternative cause one a 2002 SL2 once was a dying PCM. Valve body is a fairly easy job because it's on the top end of the transmission, or wait for someone to come along and tell you how to properly test it.

'12 Chevrolet Cruze, 1.4T M/T 101k
Miss my White 95 SC2, said goodbye at 213k, 7 years of ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Step 1, check your trans fluid level....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

When was the last time the transmission fluid and filter were changed?
Reverse slam.
Step 2.
Drain out all the transmission fluid and use an new tranny filter. Refill using only Dexron III fluid. Next, start the car, put into reverse 'gear' against an immovable object like a tree, stump, brick wall....or (do it safely tho!) and pull up on the emergency brake. Let the car idle in reverse for like 30 minutes. You will effectively flush out the torque converter and mix in new fluids up into the TC and (my experience agrees with this) and eliminate the dreaded reverse slam before damage to the tranny can occur.....unless the slamming has gone on for a long time, or like someone is heavy on the gas pedal WHILE going into reverse .... then there is real mechanical trouble brewing!

This whole cure is the result of WOLFMAN's genius.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Also check your transmission temperature sensor. It's the same as the ECTS, in fact, if it's never been changed, go to a parts store, buy an ECTS, and replace the TTS with it.

It's the same sensor with the same failure habit.

'12 Chevrolet Cruze, 1.4T M/T 101k
Miss my White 95 SC2, said goodbye at 213k, 7 years of ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
tx3nc
tx3nc is on a distinguished road

Neglecting fluid changes can cause varnish buildup in the valve body which can cause this problem. If the Wolfman's cure doesn't fix it, then the next step is to replace the valve body. About $100 on Ebay. I'd get one that has had the sleeve modification done to it. If that doesn't fix it, then the nuts on the transmission shaft's need to be replaced. Not a technically difficult job but it can be intimidating.

I did the repairs in that order. The valve body fixed the reverse slam issue then about a year later it started vibrating in the 1->2 shift. Replacing the nuts fixed that.

Search the forums for this issue. It is a common problem but doesn't need to be expensive to fix if you have some mechanical ability.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tx3nc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tx3nc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tx3nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3nc View Post
Neglecting fluid changes can cause varnish buildup in the valve body which can cause this problem. If the Wolfman's cure doesn't fix it, then the next step is to replace the valve body. About $100 on Ebay. I'd get one that has had the sleeve modification done to it. If that doesn't fix it, then the nuts on the transmission shaft's need to be replaced. Not a technically difficult job but it can be intimidating.

I did the repairs in that order. The valve body fixed the reverse slam issue then about a year later it started vibrating in the 1->2 shift. Replacing the nuts fixed that.

Search the forums for this issue. It is a common problem but doesn't need to be expensive to fix if you have some mechanical ability.
If you ever buy a $100 valve body, especially on ebay, and expect it to do something is like throwing a round into a shotgun chamber and thinking it won't go off when you pull the trigger.

The parts alone for a valve body rebuild are $100. If you buy a $100 valve body you just paid triple for a junkyard core.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
tx3nc
tx3nc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Forces View Post
If you ever buy a $100 valve body, especially on ebay, and expect it to do something is like throwing a round into a shotgun chamber and thinking it won't go off when you pull the trigger.

The parts alone for a valve body rebuild are $100. If you buy a $100 valve body you just paid triple for a junkyard core.
What do you charge for a valve body?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tx3nc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tx3nc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tx3nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
D Spear
D Spear is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

you need to change out your valve body, your input and output nuts might be loose. I just replaced mine today, got it off ebay for $200 and it was resleeved. shiftritetransmissions located south of Chicago. it was very easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D Spear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D Spear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D Spear is offline   Reply With Quote