SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
romeroom
romeroom is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default OEM recommended--No exceptions

One of this forum's member signature includes something like, "Saturns don't die. People kill them." Admittedly, I've been one of those that in the past has been accessory to murder on a number of vehicles. Well, no more. I'm changing my ways.

As I've read through the SaturnFans posts, I often encounter comments like, "Get the real stuff...OEM...get parts from the dealer, not the cheap stuff."

While an urgent repair and limited funds may steer me towards "the cheap stuff," I'd like to know what car parts and maintenance products do you insist needs to be OEM (GM, Delco, Delphi, etc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romeroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romeroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
romeroom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
romeroom

2000 SL2
Default Re: OEM recommended--No exceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeroom View Post
....While an urgent repair and limited funds may steer me towards "the cheap stuff,"...[/U][/B]
Here is an example of a decision I had to make and chose "the cheap stuff."

I noticed the engine/motor mount needing serious attention; the strut mount (dog bone) needed urgent attention as well. Adding to it the transmission mount, I elected to order all three parts from RockAuto (Anchor brand) at a total cost of $42.54. This is all I could afford now and in the not too distant future.

Comparatively, the same types of parts at SaturnParts.net ("Original Parts and Accessories at Affordable Prices") would have cost $217.39 shipped to my home. I suspect my local GM dealer would not be far off from that cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help romeroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

I've done both the starter and brakes with advanced auto parts.

My saturn gets driven daily, including traveling for work occasionally, so downtime isn't really an option. If I need something ASAP, autozone or advance is where I'm getting it from.

That being said, I'd much prefer to buy from Rockauto for anything important.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

All major ignition parts (Control Module, Coils, ESPECIALLY the switch; thankfully over the years they switched it from Lucas to Delco), key tumbler, car keys cut from the VIN at your SASP, belt tensioner/idler, CV Axles, O2 sensors, alternators, exhaust system, rebuild kits (if you rebuild the engine or tranny), radiator, water pump, heater core, fuel filter (all years 1991-2002), anything having to do with A/C, pretty much all mounts, shifter cables (if you have a manual tranny)..

OTOH on my Grand Marquis whenever possible I try to go OEM for pretty much everything I've done to it, for the most part.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 08-14-2013 at 05:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Here is an example of a decision I had to make and chose "the cheap stuff."

I noticed the engine/motor mount needing serious attention; the strut mount (dog bone) needed urgent attention as well. Adding to it the transmission mount, I elected to order all three parts from RockAuto (Anchor brand) at a total cost of $42.54. This is all I could afford now and in the not too distant future.

Comparatively, the same types of parts at SaturnParts.net ("Original Parts and Accessories at Affordable Prices") would have cost $217.39 shipped to my home. I suspect my local GM dealer would not be far off from that cost.
I hate to tell you this, but the top mount is one of the items that many members say is much better quality OEM. Often the aftermarket units don't last well, and don't dampen as much vibration. But IMO that is still a decision based on what you want. For some the cheaper units with a lifetime warranty are still what they prefer, as they can swap them for cheap.

TBH there is very little that I would insist on OEM. If the original lasted well and is reasonably priced I'll use it again when possible. But once again in my opinion, there is nothing that always works better if OEM. A prime example is belt tensioners. Our OEM was a piece of crap and failed early, the cheap Autozone replacement has lasted very well.

If I see a trend that any specific brand is crap I avoid it, but even trends don't always tell the whole story.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

It is hard to say. The 'experts' opinions vary widely. Before I became a 'well informed' member of this forum, I purchased an aftermarket thermostat from Autozone - it has since lasted longer, in both age and miles, than the OEM original. If I had purchased the one recommended by the 'experts', a STANT, many people here have had issues with it. My best recommendation is to read up on this forum as much as you can and make your own informed decision. Those that want you to believe that their answer is the only correct answer are people you should be weary of.

That said, I have purchased OEM for:

TPS, Top Motor Mount, Water Pump, Diverter Valve, Serpentine Belt (all from the dealer).

Have not on:

Brake parts, thermostat, headlight assembly...

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
One of this forum's member signature includes something like, "Saturns don't die. People kill them." Admittedly, I've been one of those that in the past has been accessory to murder on a number of vehicles. Well, no more. I'm changing my ways.

As I've read through the SaturnFans posts, I often encounter comments like, "Get the real stuff...OEM...get parts from the dealer, not the cheap stuff."

While an urgent repair and limited funds may steer me towards "the cheap stuff," I'd like to know what car parts and maintenance products do you insist needs to be OEM (GM, Delco, Delphi, etc).
You have asked a question that really does not have a correct answer, just chirping from the peanut gallery and anecdotal info. Very few OEM parts are available and the number is shrinking, rapidly. Some parts were never anything but commercial grade parts in a Saturn bag.

Electronics and mounts are still available either from a J/Y or one of these suppliers.
Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
GMparts4U.com- http://gmparts4u.com/
Your local dealers - http://www.partsvoice.com/
http://www.vpartsinc.com/

Some aftermarket parts are identical to the original OEM parts, for example the 98+ filter/regulator is a WIX 33731

At some point in the near future the OEM electronics parts in the J/Y will reach end of life and you will have to make do with the aftermarket part.

A single failure does not establish a trend, it is at best anecdotal info and should not be given much weight in the decision making process.

The OEM top engine mount is a ~$50.00 part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Dazed Re: OEM recommended--No exceptions

So far on my car, in the 6+ years I have owned it, I have purchased the following OEM parts- left door lock switch and trim plate, ECTS connector, water pump, PCV valve (later replaced with a fixed orifice aftermarket version)

Everything else has been aftermarket.

I think others have already said it best (paraphrased)- "search the forum, try to find the best testimonies on parts, make up your own opinion and take your best shot at it".

OEM parts are made by somebody after all. With the collapse of GM/Delphi a few years ago, "somebody" is probably not GM even if their name is on it.

Example-
I specially ordered the GM water pump because I was tired of other ones seeping after 6-12 months. When I received it, it was marked "made in China". If I had known that before hand I'd have just bought another GMB or Airtex or Cardone locally.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

Last edited by DIYguy; 08-14-2013 at 10:19 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Some of the parts that I've replaced over the years that I've went OEM with are-radiator coolant cap (when it stopped sealing right), the coolant temperature sensors (got both at the time since the fan was staying on constantly), tensioner, transmission filter, chime module (went I converted to power locks/mirrors), and side mirror (damn garbage can jumped right out).

That's more of the maintenance type stuff though. There's a salvage year, two actually, that are within driving distance for other knicks and knacks. I've picked up front left fender, right rear tail light w/harness, two rear quarter panels, trunk, and rear bumper for my rebuild after my accident from there. Replaced my headliner with a good condition on from the auto heaven as well. So, I'm quite an avid salvage yard shopper for both my Saturn and my Eclipse. My alternator though is a Duralast with lifetime warranty from AutoZone.

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
romeroom

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
All major ignition parts (Control Module, Coils, ESPECIALLY the switch; thankfully over the years they switched it from Lucas to Delco), key tumbler, car keys cut from the VIN at your SASP, belt tensioner/idler, CV Axles, O2 sensors, alternators, exhaust system, rebuild kits (if you rebuild the engine or tranny), radiator, water pump, heater core, fuel filter (all years 1991-2002), anything having to do with A/C, pretty much all mounts, shifter cables (if you have a manual tranny)..

OTOH on my Grand Marquis whenever possible I try to go OEM for pretty much everything I've done to it, for the most part.
This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Is your choice of OEM based on quality (endurance, performance) and compatibility? (I can put together a computer with 80% lifetime warranty components at a fraction of the cost of an HP at a big box store.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

I use the JunkYard for OEM parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post
This essentially. Junkyards are so plentiful w/ OEM sensors/interior parts.

Only used OEM from a parts source where it was desperately needed... and that's only been twice, for the top motor mount and for the fuel filter/regulator in the '01.

All else has been parts stores. Never had a parts store part really fail me yet, other than "lifetime warranty" brake pads/rotors that warp or fall apart... but free replacement means I have an opportunity to wrench on the car and inspect other things while I'm in there.

I will say though, RockAuto is about as cheap as you'll get 9/10 times. The issue is waiting 2 or 3 days to get the parts. Sometimes you need them NOW and paying +15% or so at AutoZone is the better option.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
(I can put together a computer with 80% lifetime warranty components at a fraction of the cost of an HP at a big box store.)
the first problem is lifetime warranty.. if it's anything like cars, where it's so cheaply made to not only lure you in for price and the lifetime warranty, it'll fail repeatedly which means you get to do the job over and over again. Meanwhile at HQ... the guys are eating the loss due to the piss-poor quality and constant replacement.

But hey, at least it's got that lifetime warranty, amirite?

Additionally when it comes to computers... it also depends on how good you want it. Like if you want it to do office/work stuff, sure, you could get away with lower-end parts which would overall compete with that canned HP hardware. But if you're into watching streaming media of any kind, high-end gaming, audio/video/picture editing, programming, servers, etc then you'll want more $$$ invested into good, quality, top of the line parts that would overall be even more expensive than that HP canned hardware and in all ways shapes and forms your rig would blow the HP out of the water.

And then there's Macs... that would blow your rig away and DEFINITELY that HP too.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Inky
Inky is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post
same same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Inky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Inky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

I think for me the rule of thumb is this:

If it's easily accessible or I won't mind frequent inspections of the replaced part (brakes for instance) and it comes with a lifetime warranty, I go for it and don't second guess it.

If it were like a $50 clutch kit, I'd say hell w/ it even w/ a lifetime warranty and replace it with a good known high quality part at double or triple the price if needed.

Tough jobs get done with high quality parts.

Easy jobs get done with whatever is cheapest and most available locally.

I favor known brand names, but not always.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
OEM parts are made by somebody after all. With the collapse of GM/Delphi a few years ago, "somebody" is probably not GM even if their name is on it.
+1 ^^ I am a firm believer that for every OEM part there is an identical aftermarket part being sold under a brand name instead of being a "genuine (insert vehicle manufacturer here) part". An obvious exception to this would be for specialized parts such as inner door panels, gauge clusters, or other body parts.

The auto parts business in general is a complex hierarchy of who manufacturers what parts for what brands. For example, there are dozens if not hundreds of different brands of automotive batteries, but these are all manufactured and supplied by one of a handful of manufacturers. There may be certain brand-specific faux "features" that differentiate the parts among the various brands from the same manufacturer, but they are essentially the same.

You have to remember that when it comes down to it everybody that handles the part before it is sold to the consumer is in it to make profit. In most cases there is no hard proof that people can easily show to consumers to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that their product is better than the next. So, the companies that represent these brands (including the vehicle manufacturers) have no choice but to attempt to convince consumers to believe that their parts are somehow different and thus superior to all the others, despite (usually unbeknownst to the consumer) the facts are that one brand's product may be made by the same manufacturer as their competing brand, and that in most cases any differences that exist probably won't significantly affect performance or longevity.

The same can be said for any other common type of part you can think of - spark plugs, oil filters, brake pads, you name it.

In short, I believe it is usually best to use parts that are as close to what came with the vehicle from the factory as possible. However, I don't buy into the hype that OEM parts are always vastly superior to their aftermarket counterparts. Vehicle manufacturers want you to come back to dealerships for replacement parts so they want you to believe this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
And then there's Macs... that would blow your rig away and DEFINITELY that HP too.
It depends on what Mac and what HP or other rig you are comparing it to. This is a debate for a different day. IMO use whatever works for you.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 08-14-2013 at 03:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: OEM recommended--No exceptions

Quote:
In most cases there is no hard proof that people can easily show to consumers to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that their product is better than the next. So, the companies that represent these brands (including the vehicle manufacturers) have no choice but to attempt to convince consumers to believe that their parts are somehow different and thus superior to all the others, despite (usually unbeknownst to the consumer) the facts are that one brand's product may be made by the same manufacturer as their competing brand, and that in most cases any differences that exist probably won't significantly affect performance or longevity.
Bingo....!

Years ago I worked for a company that made alternators, generators, starters and water pumps and the component parts for them (among other things) for the "rebuilding" industry. We did not rebuild anything, it was all new.

We had regular manufacturing days when we made OEM-stamped and marked parts and assemblies for the big 4 (I told you, it was a while ago) OEM manufacturers: Ford, GM, Chrysler and AMC.

These parts and assemblies went into brand new production line cars and also to their dealership parts counters as replacement parts, but in "OEM" packaging.

Does anyone seriously believe that this practice has changed? If anything it has gotten far worse.

If you can root out who the original manufacturer of a part really is, buy it from them, not from the 14th middleman that touched it. Otherwise, listen to recommendations and make your best guess.

Buyer Beware

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

I think with the Saturn S being an economy car, you have a lot of aftermarket parts being inferior to OEM quality because of the consumer market. They make parts with price point being a first priority since Saturn owners arenít exactly rich. Iíve worked on Honda Civicsí and this is a rampant problem with them as well.

My uncle owns a newer Camaro and itís almost the exact opposite with the aftermarket. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that are much better quality than OEM. You always get both worlds (crap aftermarket vs. superior aftermarket), but with some cars there is a much greater quantity of one than the other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

+1^^^^What he said.

There is a list of electronics parts to stay far away from. Airtex anything being a good example. Keep in mind you get exactly what you pay for. SMP MAP sensors are also generic and the GB 103 is still a real GM part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
(I can put together a computer with 80% lifetime warranty components at a fraction of the cost of an HP at a big box store.)
I am with you there. I have never had a prebuilt computer. Have built about a dozen over the last 12 years that I've been into computers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote