SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Rm2011
Rm2011 is on a distinguished road

Default Debris rattle sound at 2400 RPM

Hey everyone,

First of all, I have posted a thread similar to this one a few months back. Unfortunately none of the suggestions turned out to actually be the problem. Here's what's going on:

2000 Saturn SL- 160,000 miles

Stock everything

It seems as though I have a strange "rattling" sound when I Rev the engine to anything past 2400 RPM. It starts at 2400 RPM everytime without fail. It will happen in gear or out of gear, and clutch position doesn't affect it at all. I have confirmed that it is not the exhaust (not heat shield), not the HVAC system.

The best way I can describe the sound is if you had 10-15 very small ball bearings and shook the them around in a plastic container. It's starting to get very annoying.

The sound sounds like it is coming from the center console, down low. Like where the heater core pipes enter the cabin.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of bearings have been released in the transmission and the sound is being carried into the cabin. I recently replaced the transmission fluid to see if this would solve the problem, but it has not. I can not hear the noise outside the car when revving the engine via the throttle. Also the noise does change based on the engine speed.

Any ideas at all? Anything is appreciated.

Thank you!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rm2011's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rm2011 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rm2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Debris rattle sound at 2400 RPM

If it happens in neutral with the car stationary then it can be located.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Rm2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If it happens in neutral with the car stationary then it can be located.
I have tried, and as best I can tell it is coming from around the firewall, or under the 'hump' between the passenger and drivers side under the center console. The that's as specific as I can find unfortunately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rm2011 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What were the suggestions that were given so no one will repeat it here, again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Rm2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
What were the suggestions that were given so no one will repeat it here, again?
The suggestions were the heat shield and catalytic converter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Inky
Inky is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I suggest taking a video with your cellphone, upload it to Youtube and post a link to it here. It can be hard to get good audio this way but if you can get your handset right down in there it should pick it up.

Edit: I just looked at your recent posts, found your original thread and copied the link you posted to hear the sound. That is extremely annoying!

I went through something similar a few months ago, and it did turn out to be the heat shield:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191281

Last edited by Inky; 08-02-2013 at 09:33 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Inky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Inky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Rm2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
I suggest taking a video with your cellphone, upload it to Youtube and post a link to it here. It can be hard to get good audio this way but if you can get your handset right down in there it should pick it up.

Edit: I just looked at your recent posts, found your original thread and copied the link you posted to hear the sound. That is extremely annoying!

I went through something similar a few months ago, and it did turn out to be the heat shield:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191281
Thanks for the link to your thread. Unfortunately the sound has to do with RPM opposed to hitting a bump, so that leads me to believe it is the transmission. I'm at a loss at this point. Any other suggestions? The sound is driving me nuts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

do u have a precat?
what about the catcon? bang it with a deadblow hammer only

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Look under your car right where your center console is with the e-brake and cup holder. Your catalytic converter is there which is a huge bulge in the exhaust pipe. You want to hit it with a hammer to see if you can hear anything loose inside. You should hear nothing move inside when you strike the converter. If you do, it needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Rm2011

I do not have a precat. I have hit the catalytic converter with a deadblow hammer and do not hear any noise. This completely baffles me. If anyone is interested I can post a link to the sound I recorded so you can hear exactly what it sounds like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Post a recording

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Rm2011

Here is a recording. It is a lot louder than what I am hearing because I put the phone down by the firewall where it sounds like the noise is coming from.

http://youtu.be/rBDNY4iA1K0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, that is a definite odd one. Sounds like it may be inside of the heater box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Rm2011

Quote:
Well, that is a definite odd one. Sounds like it may be inside of the heater box.
Well, I think you nailed it. It is definitely inside the HVAC unit. Now I don't understand why it would happen whether the air is off, that is definitely where it's coming from.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can disassemble the unit to investigate further? I'd really like to avoid disassembling the whole car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The bottom comes of relatively easily and the rest can be disassembled in place. Best done in cool weather though. Heat gun is required to heat up old plastic so the sealer will release and tabs do not snap off. This should show how to how to get the bottom off. Don't disconnect your heater core, just drop the bottom off and see what you can see. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150968

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Rm2011

Quote:
The bottom comes of relatively easily and the rest can be disassembled in place. Best done in cool weather though. Heat gun is required to heat up old plastic so the sealer will release and tabs do not snap off. This should show how to how to get the bottom off. Don't disconnect your heater core, just drop the bottom off and see what you can see. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150968
Well, it is coming from behind the heater core it sounds like. My guess is that it's in with the evaporator for the AC but I can not seem to find any way to access it. I really just need to disassemble the entire HVAC unit I'm assuming but it does not seem like this is going to be possible without ripping apart the entire dash?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The top comes off as well but it is tricky. If you are going to tear into that box then an ALLData subscription is a very good idea so you have the drawings and directions to get it apart without breakage. http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
Rm2011

Thanks for the suggestion, Oldnuc. Unfortunately I do not have the extra money to purchase a subscription at this time.

I THINK I may have found the problem, however. When replacing my ECTS just over a year ago, the old sensor broke off inside the head. This led to having to pull it apart piece by piece to extract it and retapping the threads. I thought I recovered all the pieces, but apparently not. I have a feeling a piece of it has become lodged inside the heater core and that is what I am hearing. That would explain why I only hear the noise while revving the engine. I am in the process of draining the coolant and removing the core to flush it out.

Another question for you (or anyone else) while I'm here- I have a "vibration/rattle" somewhere in the HVAC system that only happens when I have the control in the "Top" as opposed to floor- or mixed position. To get rid of the noise, I usually move the control to halfway between the "top" and "bottom" vent control. I thought maybe the sound was coming from the blend door, but I can't seem to locate it. Any idea?

Thanks for all the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The various doors are inside of the box. This will give you an idea where the parts are located. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162508

REWARD EXCELLENCE!