SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
ericb45696
ericb45696 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default anyhting in particular I should look for/be aware of before purchase?

was presented with the option of trading in my 05 Ion for an 08 or maybe 09 Vue.
doing a little research and the only issues I am aware of from being a previous Saturn owner are the ignition switch issues, which dont seem to happen as much on the newer Vue's it seems, and I was also led to believe the 6 cylinder versions are much better than the 4 cylinder Vue's.

I know a lot of poeple will come to a message board only if they have a problem so please , I dont need responses of " I hate my Vue, dont buy one!!"
because I also know there are plenty of people who love their Saturns that aren't as vocal.

but anything else I should look at or be aware of before I do this?

thanks for all responses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericb45696's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericb45696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericb45696 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
OGC5
OGC5 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: anyhting in particular I should look for/be aware of before purchase?

30K on the wife's 2008 XR V6- This has been a great small SUV with plenty of quiet power from the 3.6 GM engine. Had to replace a noisy steering rack under warrenty,otherwise trouble free. Vehicle is over 4000lbs which gives a rock steady ride on the interstate and a solid feel but don't expect great gas mileage.23 max on Interstate.
OGC5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OGC5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OGC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
ericb45696
ericb45696 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: anyhting in particular I should look for/be aware of before purchase?

cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericb45696's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericb45696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericb45696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
ChiliPepper
ChiliPepper is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

we bought our '09 Vue XR in March of this year (used), as an upgrade to a newer vehicle for my wife.

She didn't know for sure what she wanted, but wanted a small suv. We looked at Honda CRV's, Nissan Rogue's, Toyota Rav4's, etc. I felt the Vue was far superior in styling, room, comfort, and equipment. I'm 6'6" and have no problem fitting in it comfortably, unlike any of the other vehicles we looked at.

I can't say enough about how much I like our Vue. It is probably the most beautiful vehicle we've ever owned. It gets lots of looks and compliments from friends and strangers alike. Where we live, it seems like a rarity because I've only seen 2 others between ours and the neighboring town.

We haven't owned it long enough for any problems to arise other than an air pressure sensor warning. My main concern at the moment is finding a GM dealer close to us who will accept Saturn warranty work. Speaking with the nearest one, they seem to be confused as to whether they can do it or not. (details on that are in a different thread on the forum)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChiliPepper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChiliPepper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

I had the radio replaced as well as the differential. The differential had a flaw in the casting which resulted in an alignment issue (leak) with the axle and inner seal.
These issues occurred early on and were corrected by an outstanding dealership.
The good news is they also own a Chevy dealership which is now taking care of the warranty work.
Aside from these two issues the car has been a joy to own and drive. It is rock solid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
T-Bone
T-Bone is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb45696 View Post
was presented with the option of trading in my 05 Ion for an 08 or maybe 09 Vue.
doing a little research and the only issues I am aware of from being a previous Saturn owner are the ignition switch issues, which dont seem to happen as much on the newer Vue's it seems, and I was also led to believe the 6 cylinder versions are much better than the 4 cylinder Vue's.

I know a lot of poeple will come to a message board only if they have a problem so please , I dont need responses of " I hate my Vue, dont buy one!!"
because I also know there are plenty of people who love their Saturns that aren't as vocal.

but anything else I should look at or be aware of before I do this?

thanks for all responses.
I have owned my 08' 3.6L for just over a year (was new). I have had some minor things that needed service;
1) Replaced passenger interior door handle (chrome started to peal)
2) Replaced cover to sun visor mount cover (was broken from day one)
3) adjust wiper arm position so it does not hit window frame (done shortly after I got it)
4) Replace turn signal arm as it stopped auto canceling (just done today)
5) Replaced high mount brake light because of moisture inside lens (just done today)

Despite the few little setbacks I really like the VUE. Great ride, lots of power, and surprisingly handles corners very well (I like to corner aggressively when traveling in the mountains or along the coastal highways here in BC). Going from the Mustang to the VUE took some getting used to when cornering. With the higher center of balance it took me a little while to learn what it can handle. I still haven't made the tires squeal in a corner like I could with the stang but I didn't have any trouble keeping up to a motorcycle on my most recent trip to the Sunshine Coast (and he was hauling @$$)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to T-Bone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help T-Bone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
ChiliPepper
ChiliPepper is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Going from the Mustang to the VUE took some getting used to when cornering
the avatars are so small it's sometimes hard to tell what the pictures are exactly but I thought yours was a mustang. wow, you took a bad hit! Hope you're ok. I used to have an '83 mustang gt that I bought new. red and black, it would draw attention from the cops like a magnet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChiliPepper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChiliPepper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
T-Bone

2008 VUE 3.6L
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper View Post
the avatars are so small it's sometimes hard to tell what the pictures are exactly but I thought yours was a mustang. wow, you took a bad hit! Hope you're ok. I used to have an '83 mustang gt that I bought new. red and black, it would draw attention from the cops like a magnet.
Yes, it was a 91 - I bought it in the spring of 91 after it had been used as a rental for a few months. It was a fleet car, and sort of unique around here. It was a 4 banger (2.3L) with 8 plugs - they fired alternately from either side of the cylinder extending the life of the plugs. Ran great for ever before it needed a tuneup. As you can see it was the tail end of winter here when it happened, hence the snow tires on the rear.

It wasn't very pleasant for a while after the accident and I still feel some pain, but I would say I am OK for the most part!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help T-Bone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
I had the radio replaced as well as the differential. The differential had a flaw in the casting which resulted in an alignment issue (leak) with the axle and inner seal.
These issues occurred early on and were corrected by an outstanding dealership.
The good news is they also own a Chevy dealership which is now taking care of the warranty work.
Aside from these two issues the car has been a joy to own and drive. It is rock solid.
Hand-filer,Curious was your differential leak some thing that you seen,as in a leak on the ground? Or,was it spotted by the service dept? Reason I ask is last time I was in for my oil change and my old Saturn tech (he works at the Acura store next door) seen a small leak up high on the Transmission area,however I have not seen any leaks on my garage floor. Looks all be heading to my GM dealer for this issue.

My issue could be the casting problem that you had. Other then this our 08 XR Vue has been nothing but a stellar performer

Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinCitySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinCitySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I have owned my 08' 3.6L for just over a year (was new). I have had some minor things that needed service;
1) Replaced passenger interior door handle (chrome started to peal)
2) Replaced cover to sun visor mount cover (was broken from day one)
3) adjust wiper arm position so it does not hit window frame (done shortly after I got it)
4) Replace turn signal arm as it stopped auto canceling (just done today)
5) Replaced high mount brake light because of moisture inside lens (just done today)

Despite the few little setbacks I really like the VUE. Great ride, lots of power, and surprisingly handles corners very well (I like to corner aggressively when traveling in the mountains or along the coastal highways here in BC). Going from the Mustang to the VUE took some getting used to when cornering. With the higher center of balance it took me a little while to learn what it can handle. I still haven't made the tires squeal in a corner like I could with the stang but I didn't have any trouble keeping up to a motorcycle on my most recent trip to the Sunshine Coast (and he was hauling @$$)
TBone
I too have the slapping noise whenever my windshield wipers are working. I didn't think there was anything that could be done so have never reported it. I only have a little time left before my 3 years are up so I am interested if the work was done under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
T-Bone

2008 VUE 3.6L
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
TBone
I too have the slapping noise whenever my windshield wipers are working. I didn't think there was anything that could be done so have never reported it. I only have a little time left before my 3 years are up so I am interested if the work was done under warranty.
If it is the same problem as what I had its an easy fix and was on warranty. I only wish I had done it myself and not taken it to the dealer.

They just had to undo the nut that holds the wiper arm to the pivot point, use a puller to disconnect it. Then adjust the position slightly and reattach it.

Now to get back to the part where I wish I had done the job myself. They gave this sample job to the rookie who did not use the proper tools and he/she dented the heck out of my hood.

I told the dealer I did not want the hood filled and painted, they could not find me a replacement hood, so they had a body man work 2 hours on getting the dents out from underneath by hand. Not easy to do as the hood is double skinned in that area and he had to work through the little holes on the bottom side.

They got 98% of the dents out but could not get a crease out right at the edge about a centimeter away from one of the the contour lines that runs along the top side. It bugs me a tad, but I would doubt anyone could to actually find the flaw without knowing where it is.

So unless you have a puller the right size take to your dealer, but it can't hurt to ask if the mechanic knows what tool to use!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
jgibson146
jgibson146 is on a distinguished road

I have an 08 Black XR with every option minus 4WD. I Love it. I put chrome running bars (factory), on the side and a spoiler on the back. My Vue often gets parked at the front when I use Valet. Not many people believe it's a Saturn. Even my friends with BMW's like the look. Down sides, mileage, on par with small SUV's like BMW and Audi, but not with Honda and Toyota. The front seats are OK, could use a longer cushion. Transmission always heads for the highest gear, read my other transmission post for a fix for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jgibson146's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jgibson146 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jgibson146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

I bought my 2009 VUE XR-6 (FWD) a year ago. It went through its first winder with great honors! So far, the only problem I had was a defective stearing shaft (a lag in the shaft allowed me to move it left-right about 1/4") which was replaced by a Chevy dealer under waranty (in Canada, generally speaking, we have no problem being served by Chevrolet dealers, it was a promise from GM Canada! Most Chevy dealers consider to be bound by this promise.)

So far, it is, BY FAR, the best GM vehicle I had! Thanks Opel and Daewoo for having worked on it! Much better than the former VUE (2005 FWD V6). High quality materials, fantastic engine (3.6L -- it's a "gazolic", though... likes to drink a lot!!! ) and transmission. It hauls my 3300 lb, 19'-long camping trailer without any problem!

Driving it is never tiring. Seats are firm but very comfortable, driving position is ideal.

The only thing that would prevent me from buying another one is... well... Saturn doesn't exist anymore! Trade-in value is not in par with it's real value.

Have you taken a look at the new Chevy Equinox? The V6 engine is missing low-end torque, but for day-to-day driving, it's seems to be a solid machine! Is is the natural evolution of the VUE (on the extended platform), based on the same mechanical components. (Opel/Vauxhall Antara, Chevrolet Captiva, Daewoo Winstorm, Saturn VUE, Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain... they are all based on the same platform (normal or extended) and they all share the same "genetical origins"!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCitySaturn View Post
Hand-filer,Curious was your differential leak some thing that you seen,as in a leak on the ground? Or,was it spotted by the service dept? Reason I ask is last time I was in for my oil change and my old Saturn tech (he works at the Acura store next door) seen a small leak up high on the Transmission area,however I have not seen any leaks on my garage floor. Looks all be heading to my GM dealer for this issue.

My issue could be the casting problem that you had. Other then this our 08 XR Vue has been nothing but a stellar performer
In my case it was the rear differential.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

We bought our '08 VUE XR a year ago.
It now has 51,000 miles on it and other than a buzzing noise up in the headliner when it's cold outside, we have had no problems. Suspension and steering still feels tight.
We are happy with it. No regrets.

Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". – Stirling Moss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
wclifford
wclifford is on a distinguished road

We have an '08 Vue XE 4 cylinder 2.4, and we love it. The 4 cylinder actually got better reviews on consumer reports, and it certainly gets better gas mileage. In fact, my mechanic (whom I've actually trusted for the past 7 years) told me to get the 2.4L Ecotec engine instead of the 6 cylinder. I'm guessing that there will be many that will disagree with me about it, but you wanted opinions so here's mine. 2.4L Ecotec engine performs great. The only drawback is using cruise control on hilly highways. Other then that, we love it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wclifford's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wclifford reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
hockeydude
hockeydude is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Bought a '09 Redline back in December. Only issue I had was the drivers side b-pillar moulding was apparently warped from the factory. Never noticed in the winter but now that its warm out it sticks causing you to have to really push the door open. It also pushes the b-pillar moulding off when shutting the door. The part is in and I take it in next week.
It is my wifes vehicle and she has a very short commute to work, We use my '08 Grand prix GXP as our trip car so the Redline only has 3200 miles on it. She loves the Vue, but we both agree that the factory Hankook Optimo tires are crap. Horrible in the winter and according to reviews loud in the summer. I plan on swapping on some winter tires for her this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hockeydude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hockeydude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hockeydude is offline   Reply With Quote