SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #5981
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

I took a video featuring my red Saturn - at the end of the video.
https://youtu.be/Z3fDWLDgK4w
I haven't actually driven it this week as I've been driving the $200 Buick.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #5982
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
too bad there was a kid's head in the way

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #5983
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
“Oil-up those bearings” We’ve all been there!
I stuck a grease fitting on the frame to lube the crank. The seals weren’t keeping out grit, so grease keeps it purged. I think I JB Weld’ed up inside the tubes so I don’t fill the entire bicycle with grease.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #5984
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I had gotten 4 window channels from the pick-a-part and when I was cleaning them up, this morning, junk started coming off the rubber. Lo and behold, the felt was coming off. So I stomped my feet, went into the house, oiled my 14U64A, replaced its belt, then ordered new 1/2" felt to fix these silly things.

On a positive note, to temporarily cover the vinyl damage on a small part of the dash where the instrument thingamajog butts up against the dash, I cut and placed a piece of raw edged split leather that closely matches the color wrap for my car.

At least I no longer have to see the damage until I decide what to do.

I may just line the leather with ripstop nylon and leave it as it is after stabilizing the vinyl damage. I actually looks better than the photo shows.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #5985
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Changed the serpentine belt. I suspect it was the original. It took way too long to do it. It took several hours including renting the tool for the tensioner. I can do the one in my truck in minutes.

I now have more stuff to clean... inner fender liner. I also snapped all three screws that go into the front of the wheel well opening.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #5986
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

On my '98 I did the intake air sensor on the radiator hose mod. I've been getting great fuel economy, like 31-32 on my 14 mile work commute with traffic lights. However, as it warms up it gets very stumbly and low on power as well. I'm approaching E on the gauge, have about 300 miles on the trip meter, so again somewhere over 30. I moved the connector back to the stock sensor which I left in place. The driveability is immediately better. I'll see how I do for fuel economy on the next tank.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #5987
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
On my '98 I did the intake air sensor on the radiator hose mod. I've been getting great fuel economy, like 31-32 on my 14 mile work commute with traffic lights. However, as it warms up it gets very stumbly and low on power as well. I'm approaching E on the gauge, have about 300 miles on the trip meter, so again somewhere over 30. I moved the connector back to the stock sensor which I left in place. The driveability is immediately better. I'll see how I do for fuel economy on the next tank.
Taking your cue, I switched back. Mod is probably best Winter-Spring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190705_194359.jpg (124.8 KB, 16 views)

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #5988
cpy911
cpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2

I just did my serpentine belt. Took 30 minutes with the Harbor Freight tool.
I did end up pulling the tire off to get better access underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Changed the serpentine belt. I suspect it was the original. It took way too long to do it. It took several hours including renting the tool for the tensioner. I can do the one in my truck in minutes.

I now have more stuff to clean... inner fender liner. I also snapped all three screws that go into the front of the wheel well opening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpy911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpy911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #5989
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpy911 View Post
I just did my serpentine belt. Took 30 minutes with the Harbor Freight tool.
I did end up pulling the tire off to get better access underneath.
Different brand, but that looks exactly like what I tired to use. My issue with it, was that I couln't seem to get enough swing before hitting something with the handle. When I finally did get it, and had reattached the old stretched out belt again, and upon the second removal I left the tool on the tensioner instead of removing it for threading the new belt. Still I was barely able to get the new belt on. I still haven't looked at the tensioner so see where the arm is in relation to the stops. I'm still wondering if maybe the belt is just slightly too short. Since then I've noticed that the pulleys can be different sizes... 76mm vs. 90mm. I have no idea what I have, and the belt listings didn't specify, just with and with-out AC and a few specified power steering.

I need to get a new tensioner and a new idler, and probably a water pump. All three had some amount of slop... surprisingly the water pump doesn't seem to be leaking, noticeably. It wasn't much movement there, Though.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #5990
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've always done my serpentine belt with a wrench that I snapped a set of vise grips onto.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #5991
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
Taking your cue, I switched back. Mod is probably best Winter-Spring
So do you see a difference in drivability too? Mine was bad enough that I had bought a set of coils to throw on, which I haven't done yet. Once I get my $200 Buick proved out I'll be back to driving the '98 Saturn.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #5992
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

I still have my IAT mod on the radiator hose and have no drive-ability issues in the summer. I have this mod on both a 97 SC2 and 99 SC2, and we've been hitting 90+ def F ambient air temps lately.

I've experienced slightly better mileage... perhaps +1 or +2 MPG. I plan on leaving this in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #5993
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I wonder if mine gets the ECTS too hot.

This was how I did mine.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=165

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #5994
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
I wonder if mine gets the ECTS too hot.

This was how I did mine.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=165
Nice setup, and I would think that it should transfer the heat well.

I played with the IAT mod idea, and did notice it changed the characteristics of the throttle tip in some. Even with some blind A-B type testing I could tell the difference. My drive cycle at the time was too erratic for any useful MPG data though.

In the end, being I have an OBD I car, I was concerned that I shouldn't mess with what works, being that the OBD I cars at times are slow to set codes. I get good enough MPG to not risk any damage to the car. If I had OBD II I'd mess with it big time, since I could see trims and such.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #5995
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The ECTS is a 1/8" male tapered pipe thread and the proper tap is cheap. If you bend it then it is possible to have 1 or both legs short internally to the brass shell. A single leg short is not an issue but if both make contact and by some fluke still read some value of resistance it will not set a fail code but will be so far out of range that it will be ignored by the PCM.

There re many detailed threads on this trick most with data. Try searching with DIYguy in the search.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #5996
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've read the DIYguy thread. I need live data to see what the inlet air temperature is. I am thinking it is sort of working though, as I only see the change in drivability as it warms up. I went with the press fit for good heat transfer. If I bored out the aluminum and threaded it the probe would be hanging out in the air.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #5997
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Use thicker aluminum. The part that bent is where it is a pair of rather stiff wires that are not insulated.

If you feel the change then it is working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #5998
454cid

Why would anyone want to tell the PCM that the intake air temperature is almost equivalent to coolant temperature? That kind of temperature would likely be way outside the planned numbers in the programming of the PCM.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #5999
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is not an out of range value as it is an underhood temperature amd it can get real close to coolant temps. If too high the PCM does drop it though and use the last known good value.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #6000
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

In my ongoing saga of trying to get a functioning non leaking sunroof in my 98 SL2, I put compressed air to the drain tubes today. The rears were pretty clear and dry. Both of the fronts were wet and clogged though. The passenger front took a full 80psi to clear whatever was clogging it... Flows good now though! Going to scavenge a complete sunroof assembly from a local wrecker this week for one tiny little piece that I managed to break (my own darn fault...) Then I can put everything back together and hopefully be done with that project and move on to the next, the stereo system!

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote