SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
bdobraj
Advanced Member
bdobraj is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default cleaning egr valve

for cleaning the egr valve i heard before you clean it and put it back together, that while its off the car, you can run the car and get some of the crap out. is that recommended? and should you spray some carb cleaner down in there and run it aswell? thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdobraj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdobraj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdobraj is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: cleaning egr valve

Carb cleaner not needed. With EGR installed warm up the motor and then remove EGR. Restart engine with hood open. Car will promptly rev to 4000 RPM and will blow all the carbon out of the exhaust track. Shut off car and reinstall EGR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

For the egr valve itself i would like to add it is a good idea to clean the pintle on the egr valve and the other port thats in it. Get yourself an old tooth brush, but makes sure it dont have a flexable end. use card cleaner and get as much build up out as you can and reinstall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can soak the bottom of the EGR valve in a pan full of carb cleaner. needs to be deep enough to just cover the bottom flange. 1/4 to 3/8 inch. As long as the black round solenoid is not in the cleaner it will work. Scrape the carbon off off the pintle seat. Hold it open and scrape it clean with a small screw driver. probably will have to make a scraper to clean the seat area in the body also if the pintle seat has carbon on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Carb cleaner not needed. With EGR installed warm up the motor and then remove EGR. Restart engine with hood open. Car will promptly rev to 4000 RPM and will blow all the carbon out of the exhaust track. Shut off car and reinstall EGR.
Self cleaning is awesome.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
lxvgto
lxvgto is on a distinguished road

Hello all, and thanks once again for excellent technical information at Saturnfans.

I would like to caution you on the use of carb cleaner and other solvents on the EGR valve. I had a code P0404, so I removed the EGR to clean it, using some carb cleaner in the process. Unfortunately, although I did not use much cleaner, i inverted the EGR and actuated the pintle with some carb cleaner inside the base.

After re-installing the EGR, the car had all the signs of a faulty EGR and a test with the homemade can gasket (thanks richpin!) confirmed that the EGR is faulty. So in trying to clear a SES, I cost myself $100 for a new EGR!

The last time i did this a brass-bristled wire brush did the trick with no solvent!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lxvgto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lxvgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lxvgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The only way a solvent can destroy an electric EGR valve is if the isolation diaphragm has failed. You have to keep the exhaust gas out of the electrics also. The valve section is totally separate from the electrical section.

The IAC is an entirely different issue though, keep solvents out of the works or its toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

I've used brake parts cleaner on my EGR valve a few times now with no ill effect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Was wondering why, after cleaning the throttle body and PCV valve and still having the car stumble upon acceleration----I cleaned the EGR valve and the car now runs like a top. I was even considering changing the spark plugs but that isn't needed. Lots of carbon inside the valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Question Re: cleaning egr valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post

About how long should the engine run with the EGR off?

Thanks!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
bigbfarm
bigbfarm is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SW2

I don't let the motor run for long with the EGR off. Engine will rev up to the 4K rev limiter. Maybe 3-5 seconds. I would think anything that is going to get blown out would do it then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbfarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbfarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
silverblackjoe
silverblackjoe is on a distinguished road

I remove EGR, cleaned pintle and ports with appropriate cleaner, brush and "pick", on intake side scraped ports and vacuumed out with shop vac. replaced gasket. runnin real nice.....312,000 miles.....inherited for plumbing job, can't say enough to thank the people here on this post. You guys Rock!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblackjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblackjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverblackjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #13
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

A steam cleaner is a device for removing dirt from surfaces using hot steam. What is the principle of operation of this device, the differences between different models and the possibility of its application? And the most important question is whether it is worth buying a steam cleaner https://cleanhomeguide.com/best-carpet-steam-cleaner/ at all or is it better to get along with a vacuum cleaner and a mop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:01 AM   #14
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfgoo View Post
A steam cleaner is a device for removing dirt from surfaces using hot steam. What is the principle of operation of this device, the differences between different models and the possibility of its application? And the most important question is whether it is worth buying a steam cleaner https://cleanhomeguide.com/best-carpet-steam-cleaner/ at all or is it better to get along with a vacuum cleaner and a mop?
...and a steam cleaner, a vacuum cleaner or mop has what to do with cleaning an egr valve?

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

Last edited by focusofheart; 11-09-2019 at 02:14 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

It is a spambot. Please report it using the little exclamation point button in the lower left corner of its post. I wish Charlie would give some of the faithful moderation privileges so we could zap them.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote