SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
drivehard
drivehard is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Another CHEAP alternative RL tire choice

ok folks, I'm pretty sure I was the first to try out the 225/55-18's on the RL a couple of years ago. Well, it was time for tires again, and I did some shopping around...and looking at more alternative tire sizes.

I found that the size 235/50-18 is pretty dang close to the size we already have. In fact its only 1.42% different in diameter. That means at 60 mph the speedometer would read 60.8mph...or about 1 mph high. I confirmed this with GPS today actually.

So I go looking for this size and find this...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=235

The BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWS High Performance All Season tire for...get this...$91 delivered to my door (whoops...just noticed they upped the price to $95 delivered).

So I got 4 tires shipped to me for $364, and just had them mounted/balanced/new valve stems for $9.95 each at Sams Club.

Total out the door price of just a tad over $400 for 4 NEW tires on my RL.

So far, I love the way they handle and ride. A bit more tread noise than the 225/55-18 yokohama's I was running, but they look a bit more beefy too, so its ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drivehard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drivehard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drivehard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
woodroeJ35
woodroeJ35 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Another CHEAP alternative RL tire choice

damn good looking out i like the reviews and ppl that have used these have some pretty peppy cars and they love them ill be looking at these pry within the next 5000 miles i still have the original turanazas on my RL with 49K miles on them... they dont really like this snow tho

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to woodroeJ35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help woodroeJ35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
woodroeJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
TheSlayer
TheSlayer is on a distinguished road

Hey woodroe,

Im glad you liked the 225/55-18s on the RL. I have just over 10k on my Cooper CS4s, T-rated. They were around $130 and have a 80K treadlife warranty! Plus they are only 0.4% off from stock. You can't beat that.

Also I checked http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and found that you were right on your 235/50-18s being only 1.4% off. However, when you are traveling 60 MPH you are actually traveling 59.1 MPH, just thought i would let ya know. Go the above site and select the two tire sizes to compare and it will show you. It says how the speedometer is what is 1.4% fast, which gives you the actual lower speed. Which isn't very much though.

Of course that particular tire calculator could be off. This diagram will give you a lil more information.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/50-18 4.8in 13.8in 27.6in 86.9in 730 0.0%
235/50-18 4.6in 13.6in 27.3in 85.6in 740 -1.4%
225/55-18 4.9in 13.9in 27.7in 87.2in 727 0.4%

I do like the price you got. I hope they work great for you. By the way, what kind of gas mileage did you get running the 225s? Thanks! Take care.

Bart "The Slayer" Sayers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSlayer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSlayer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
drivehard

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlayer View Post
Also I checked http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and found that you were right on your 235/50-18s being only 1.4% off. However, when you are traveling 60 MPH you are actually traveling 59.1 MPH, just thought i would let ya know. Go the above site and select the two tire sizes to compare and it will show you. It says how the speedometer is what is 1.4% fast, which gives you the actual lower speed. Which isn't very much though.

Um, re-read what I said. We both said exactly the same thing.

I said...
If you are traveling 60 mph (true GPS speed), your speedometer will read 60.8 mph...or .8 mph faster than what you are going. You said the same thing...just going the other way. No problems though...we are both right.

I got 25 mpg mixed driving in Iowa during the summer, and about 23 in the winter with the 225's. I don't have enough tanks on the new tires (235's) to get a trend yet. The wind and weather has been pretty bad for consistant MPG runs lately. (for reference, I have a 2004 redline AWD)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help drivehard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
woodroeJ35

hey drivehard

i take it your from iowa too???

but yeah ill be needing new tires soon so keep me informed on the 235s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help woodroeJ35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
TheSlayer
TheSlayer is on a distinguished road

Hey Drivehard,

Sorry about misunderstanding what you said. (Easily confused one here lol) I see what you said now. Im always in a hurry to promote that tire calculator. It helped me to get my 225s when I needed tires to get my 04 RL road worthy again.

That is some great mileage. I might get 20 on a slow interstate drive. It must be the AWD and the hills here in WV. It might be the fact that I do seem to burn a little oil. I had mentioned it in a post before, but nothing too serious. I don't have the funds to have it looked at right now. My wife only drives it 10 miles round trip to work. We do take it when we all go out and about. My 6 month old daughter falls right to sleep in her. However shes wide awake riding in the old Ford F-150 of mine, lol

Bart "The Slayer" Sayers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSlayer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSlayer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
zeissheadreggie
zeissheadreggie is on a distinguished road

Location: East point, GA(3 clicks outside of the atlanta city limits)

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The tires you found sounds like a great idea, but after having purchased a very loud 245/55/18 version of this tire (from the same retailer for $832.00), I'm a little gun shy. I live near the worlds busiest airport, and these tires are a constant reminder of that with the road tread roar. I turn the radio UP to DROWN out the noise from the tire tread. I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on this deal IF there is considerably less road noise than what I have now. $500.00 trumps $1100.00 any day of the the week for me. The Toyo Versada LX "promises" a near silent ride. I need quiet, all season performance more than anything else.

live fast, die young, and leave clean underwear!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zeissheadreggie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zeissheadreggie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zeissheadreggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
woodroeJ35

heres your first problem tho u ordered a bigger then factory tire. the 245/50/18 is already loud lol but the 235s should be a little bit quieter but if not jus get some edead from elemental designs here in iowa...that helped me alot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
drivehard

2004 VUE Red Line

They are not as quiet as my previous tiers Yoko 225/55-18. But they are quiter than the stockers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The BFG's thread remind me of the OEM Turanzas...

BFG TA's $95

Bridgestone Turanza EL42 $ unknown

I'd like something a bit more exotic...

Nitto Invo $183 (Exact replacement size)

I'm currently using Nitto NTRD1 Redline tires. 255/45-18's It's foot wide footprint gives exceptional traction, great handling and ride. All the grooves are so wide that rocks hardly ever get embedded in the tread. The speedometer reads 2 mph fast which is tolerable...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
drivehard

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The BFG's thread remind me of the OEM Turanzas...

BFG TA's $95

Bridgestone Turanza EL42 $ unknown

I'd like something a bit more exotic...

Nitto Invo $183 (Exact replacement size)

I'm currently using Nitto NTRD1 Redline tires. 255/45-18's It's foot wide footprint gives exceptional traction, great handling and ride. All the grooves are so wide that rocks hardly ever get embedded in the tread. The speedometer reads 2 mph fast which is tolerable...
Well, the thread is not about buying something exotic. Its about those of us on a budget who can not afford something like that and need a cheap alternative to fit on the RL.

The fact is, the BFG's look more aggressive than the stock tires IMHO. They will MORE than out-handle the stockers too. Probably the best tires I have ever purchased in my life so far, and I will buy them again if they are still available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
r2008t
r2008t is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2001 SL2

Hey Everyone,

I just got my 2005 RL last wednesday and it was in need of tires BAD. The previous original owner didnt rotate the original Turanzas.

So I just ordered 4 BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWS High Performance All Season tires from discounttiredirect.com for $364 delivered to my door. Great deal but it gets even better---- You now receive a $70 MAIL IN REBATE if you buy a set of 4 BFGoodrich tires between March 12 through April 4th.

-Ricky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to r2008t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help r2008t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
r2008t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2008t View Post
Hey Everyone,

I just got my 2005 RL last wednesday and it was in need of tires BAD. The previous original owner didnt rotate the original Turanzas.

So I just ordered 4 BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWS High Performance All Season tires from discounttiredirect.com for $364 delivered to my door. Great deal but it gets even better---- You now receive a $70 MAIL IN REBATE if you buy a set of 4 BFGoodrich tires between March 12 through April 4th.

-Ricky

What size?

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
r2008t
r2008t is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2001 SL2

235/50-18

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to r2008t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help r2008t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
r2008t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
xtremeranger
Advanced Member

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2008t View Post
235/50-18

Got any pictures? I still havent decided what size I wanna go with.....

2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I currently have the Kumho Ecsta SPT in stock size of 245/50R18 on my AWD '04 RL.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=245

They were something like $130 when I bought them. I've got about 15k miles on them (and two autocross days) and they're still pretty decent on tread and grip like mad, especially in a straight line. I can't break traction unless I'm on wet roads and really stab the throttle.

The noise level is a little higher than I'd like, but it still isn't as bad as the OEM tires were when I ditched them at 50K+ miles. The crappy alignment job from Firestone(d) has probably done the most wear on them. A-holes couldn't align their way out of a paper bag with a map and a flashlight. Argh. Took 3 trips to get it to where the steering wheel was straight and it didn't pull to one side or the other. I need to find a proper alignment shop...

At any rate, good find on those BFGs. The tread pattern looks like it'd be pretty good for all season tires. I've been considering 225/55R18s, but I'd be willing to try 235/50R18 for that price!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
xtremeranger
Advanced Member

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Ive been think about sticking with stock size and those tires are 1st on my list cuz they are the only ones in my price range......Got any good pics of them on it...I would like to see how they look....

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #18
05blueredline
05blueredline is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

hey dante,
those are the tires i have also except in 245/40/20 and they grip almost too well..it seems to bog the car down a little off the line lol
im at around 15k-20k miles and completely bald, like slicks in the front so im in need of some new ones. But this time i think im gunna go with 245/45/20 or 245/50/20. the only thing with the 50's is that there arent really sport tires in that size. so i think i will go with 45's and get kumho's or the general tire which also has a nice tread design.
o btw, about the Nitto Invo's my brother got them on his rl and i have some pics (not very good quality b/c of the sun) if anyones interested

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05blueredline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05blueredline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05blueredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #19
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05blueredline View Post
hey dante,
those are the tires i have also except in 245/40/20 and they grip almost too well..it seems to bog the car down a little off the line lol
im at around 15k-20k miles and completely bald, like slicks in the front so im in need of some new ones. But this time i think im gunna go with 245/45/20 or 245/50/20. the only thing with the 50's is that there arent really sport tires in that size. so i think i will go with 45's and get kumho's or the general tire which also has a nice tread design.
o btw, about the Nitto Invo's my brother got them on his rl and i have some pics (not very good quality b/c of the sun) if anyones interested
No such thing as too much grip man! The Kumhos I have now grip really well at launch and generally in cornering, even when there are bumps and potholes. The wear is relatively quick but I'm being pretty brutal on them. I'm willing to go through tires faster if that means I have better grip. I HATED the OEM tires the last year and a half they were on there.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
REDLINE_IT
REDLINE_IT is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

I too would be interested in seeing some pics and hearing some more opinions about these BF Goodrich T/As.

I need new tires VERY soon, and prefer high-performance all season tires since I drive fast at times and need to go in the snow as well. At $91 a tire and with the current rebate, these just sound TOO good to pass up! I noticed that the stock size is 245/50 and these are 235/50. That means that the BF Goodrich tires will be narrower than stock, correct? Would that make a noticeable difference? I don't want to compromise safety and performance... just for price!

2007 Silver Nickel VUE RL - Fujita Cold Air Intake, Hankook Ventus V4 es tires 245/50R18

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to REDLINE_IT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help REDLINE_IT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
REDLINE_IT is offline   Reply With Quote