SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
sclindon
sclindon is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Sunroof Module

I have done a few searches of the website and can't find this issue, so I guess I will see if anyone else has had it and if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I have an '06 Ion 3 2.4L with the sunroof. A few weeks ago I was closing the sunroof and it made a loud cracking noise and wouldn't close completely. I took it to the dealer and they said the module was broke and it would cost $700 to fix it. (I am out of warranty). I told them no and to please just try to get the sunroof to close. They closed the sunroof for me. I saw on saturnparts.net that the sunroof module costs $177. My question is is it hard to replace that myself? I'm not very car repair savvy, but my dad is. Has anyone done this? Does it require special tools that wouldn't be in your "typical" tool box? Any help is appreciated. If it is super complicated I will look at going to Auto One or something as I assume they would be cheaper, but I figured I would see what help I could get here.

Thanks!

P.S. The same dealership that told me $700 for my sunroof said I need new fuel injectors and it would cost $500. The car is getting 30 MPG in the city and is not idling rough or anything like that. I'll just go and get a fuel system cleaning for $69.99. I swear, some dealers are horrible.

Former Saturns:
2006 Ion 3 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Ion 2, 5 speed; 2004 Vue, 5 speed
2002 SL1, 5 speed; 1993 SC1, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sclindon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sclindon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sclindon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Sunroof Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclindon View Post
A few weeks ago I was closing the sunroof and it made a loud cracking noise and wouldn't close completely. I took it to the dealer and they said the module was broke and it would cost $700 to fix it. (I am out of warranty). ...
not sure how a "loud crack" would indicate a broken module, since the module's electronic. unless they mean motor in which case there was probably something in the track that caught the glass, then caused your motor to burn out.
Quote:
...said I need new fuel injectors and it would cost $500. The car is getting 30 MPG in the city and is not idling rough or anything like that.
then you're fine. if you don't' have CEL saying you're getting misfires, your injectors are fine. not to mention they are CHEAP and you could replace them yourself.
Quote:
I'll just go and get a fuel system cleaning for $69.99. I swear, some dealers are horrible.
don't bother. if you're intent on cleaning your fuel system, just get some additive from AutoZone and run a bottle thru and be done w/ it.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
sclindon
sclindon is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
not sure how a "loud crack" would indicate a broken module, since the module's electronic. unless they mean motor in which case there was probably something in the track that caught the glass, then caused your motor to burn out.
The motor is working fine. When I looked at Saturnparts.net the module looked like the track in all honesty. I was merely going by the drawings.
Quote:
then you're fine. if you don't' have CEL saying you're getting misfires, your injectors are fine. not to mention they are CHEAP and you could replace them yourself.
The CEL was on, but it seems to be running just fine. I put a tank of premium gas in and the light turned off.
Quote:
don't bother. if you're intent on cleaning your fuel system, just get some additive from AutoZone and run a bottle thru and be done w/ it.
I have always heard the additive that you run through your gas tank doesn't help any.

Former Saturns:
2006 Ion 3 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Ion 2, 5 speed; 2004 Vue, 5 speed
2002 SL1, 5 speed; 1993 SC1, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sclindon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sclindon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sclindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclindon View Post
I have always heard the additive that you run through your gas tank doesn't help any.
a good additive like chevron or shell does help. That's why their gas is better gas (this additive is added on to the gas they sell). I wouldn't use it every week but once of twice a year yes. PLus the water remover does work.
Removing water from your fuel system is just a matter of chemistry and a water remover works. You'd be surprised to see how much water accumulates in your tank due to condensation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote